PDA

View Full Version : Removing glue from sponge

Topspinner
11-28-2014, 03:35 PM
A few weeks agoo I tried to remove all the glue rests from the sponge. My method was rubbing with my thumb.
Result: It took a long time to remove the most and my thumb didn't like it. When I tried to glue the sheet back, it didn't attached well anymore.

- Why didn't it attached well anymore?
- What's the best way to remove glue from the sponge?

rajd1234
11-28-2014, 05:03 PM
Same thing happend to me while reusing vega pro on another blade. And from then i have tried to avoid re-gluing. Even i am also curious. Someone please suggest.

...Rajd...

ranniely
11-29-2014, 11:19 AM
When i was removing glue from Yasaka Rakza7 soft (and xiom zava), i used fuel for zippo and some cloth ... burned skin on my fingers, demanded a change >.<

cakezxc280
11-29-2014, 12:04 PM
A few weeks agoo I tried to remove all the glue rests from the sponge. My method was rubbing with my thumb.
Result: It took a long time to remove the most and my thumb didn't like it. When I tried to glue the sheet back, it didn't attached well anymore.

It doesnt attach well because there isnt as much glue on the sheet as before. The adhesiveness is linear.
The best way is to rub some old VOC based glue on it, wait til its half dry and rub it real quick. Much easier and hurts your finger less.

huri
11-30-2014, 12:08 PM
Well the best thing you can do is to not USE first generation water based glues which are horrible in terms of removing them ...but rather use glue like revolution nr3, or FREE CHACK 2 which are removed much more easily ...

Topspinner
11-30-2014, 06:16 PM
I still don't understand why the rubber didn't attached anymore. After rubbing the most glue of the sponge, I reglued it and then it didn't attached good anymore.

So maybe I also rubbed of an attachmentlayer of the sponge?

TurboZ
12-01-2014, 12:48 AM
No idea why reglue is not the same. But for glue removal, I just did it last night. First the glue seems not possible to rub off. Then I use a Glue Removal Sponge and rub the surface of glue hard until I get an opening. Then I can lift the glue layer off clean and neat in one piece. I used DHS #15 WBG. I believe it will not be that easy with modern fragile sponge.

ducksick
12-08-2014, 06:22 AM
use yellow masking tape...

vagmor
12-09-2014, 05:18 AM
The best way to remove the glue is by using a toothbrush .It took me only 5' for each one,and with no damage to the rubber.

Pnachtwey
12-09-2014, 06:57 AM
The best way to remove the glue is by using a toothbrush .It took me only 5' for each one,and with no damage to the rubber.
I don't see how that can work.
I use my thumb but most my palm to heat the rubber over a wider area. Eventually the Elmer's glue starts to roll and it can be rolled more.
I usually use cheap DHS rubbers on my FH and 729 rubbers on my BH. I have had no problems removing glue and reapplying many times.
I find removing water based glue to be much different. It doesn't roll. If it is thick enough it peels off other wise it is a b!tch trying to get it to roll like the Elmer's glue.

I have tried warming and sorting the glue with a hair dryer. You have to be careful and I didn't think it made that much difference.

Tommy16
12-09-2014, 01:23 PM
I use tablespoon to rub the glue. That works pretty nicely.

Bobo
12-30-2014, 10:30 AM
I use a *iron* (i dont know if its the correct word i used google translator). I had the same problems like u the glue wont go off my rubbers i tryed it with my thumbs about 30minutes but nothing happend. i read on a other forum that they use a *iron*. U need to make it on Middle stage and then hold just the front part on your rubber and then peel it. I was shocked after the result :D it takes about 20 minutes each rubber but after it u will not have holes on your rubber ore something like that. if u scared and dont want to try it on your main Rubber use a old one so u can see how it works. I didnt found a video on YT so maybe next time i will record it and post it here.
Sorry for my bad english i hope you all understand it.

Bobo

cakezxc280
12-30-2014, 01:39 PM
I use a *iron* (i dont know if its the correct word i used google translator). I had the same problems like u the glue wont go off my rubbers i tryed it with my thumbs about 30minutes but nothing happend. i read on a other forum that they use a *iron*. U need to make it on Middle stage and then hold just the front part on your rubber and then peel it. I was shocked after the result :D it takes about 20 minutes each rubber but after it u will not have holes on your rubber ore something like that. if u scared and dont want to try it on your main Rubber use a old one so u can see how it works. I didnt found a video on YT so maybe next time i will record it and post it here.
Sorry for my bad english i hope you all understand it.

Bobo

Yea I did that all the time back in the days.....apparently older Hurricanes' shitty gluing between the rubber and the sponge doesnt agree with the heat...
Also the rubber will feel softer after doing this successfully. I am guessing due to the expansion the heat caused.
Use with caution.

Ping Pong Pirate
12-30-2014, 05:26 PM

Acetone will dissolve the glue and not harm the rubber.
It is available from any Chemist/Pharmacy.

Bobo
12-30-2014, 07:36 PM
Yea I did that all the time back in the days.....apparently older Hurricanes' shitty gluing between the rubber and the sponge doesnt agree with the heat...
Also the rubber will feel softer after doing this successfully. I am guessing due to the expansion the heat caused.
Use with caution.

yes but if u do it on the lowest stage for heat it will not make any problem u can put ur fingers on it, its not hot. but when u go higher it could destroy your rubber . so like i said they could make some tests on old rubbers before using it on the main rubber.

Hanamichi_Jon
02-16-2015, 06:05 AM
Hi guys I use copydex to remove the old glue. I put copydex on the sponge quite a bit and let it dry then I pull the copydex out and Wala only few minutes and it's done. Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kaizoku
04-22-2015, 04:30 PM
Just a quick question, sometimes when I glue my rubber it tends to loose contact very easily on top of the blade, I just now had to take it off to re-glue it again. and tbh, taking that glue off the sponge is a pain.
why should I not just re-glue without removing rubber? would it normally not attach properly? would it be risk of bubbles? what would the problem be... a quick reply would be apreciated.

UpSideDownCarl
04-23-2015, 01:28 AM
Just a quick question, sometimes when I glue my rubber it tends to loose contact very easily on top of the blade, I just now had to take it off to re-glue it again. and tbh, taking that glue off the sponge is a pain.
why should I not just re-glue without removing rubber? would it normally not attach properly? would it be risk of bubbles? what would the problem be... a quick reply would be apreciated.

I just leave old glue.

Der_Echte
04-23-2015, 02:59 AM
When you tottaly take off all the old glue and do a re-glue, sometimes you just don't get enough glue back in the pores.

There are all kind of ways to remove old glue.

When I cut a new rubber, I cave the cutouts sometimes. WHY? They do a good job to save your thumb for this task. Sometimes, you have to put something on the old glue to soften it up or prep it, rubber cement is good for this, so is a thin to medium coat of your favorite tuner or veggie oil. Leave it on there and give it a try 30-60 minutes later. You might do it easy enough with your thumb, but the stuff could get a little gooey. That is where a cutout can help.

UpSideDownCarl
04-23-2015, 03:57 AM
Der_Echte, are you saying you have a secret cave where you store extra pieces of rubber cut from sheets you put on blades. Is that where the trap door leads for when you need to handle the goon squad?

Der_Echte
04-23-2015, 04:02 AM
It's the secret compartment in my Nexy Rucksack and Scarlet Handbag. My old coach tried to talk me out of that bag telling me it was too small for me. (I waz known to carry 24pk of MGD to tourneys) but I wasn't buying her ruse.

justinfoomh
04-23-2015, 10:45 AM
Try to rub it off horizontally or vertically to prevent damaging the sponge. If the glue is thick enough, you can simply peel it off.

ranniely
04-23-2015, 02:59 PM
I take some cloth and i pour some zippo fuel over it and start to rub the sponge with "fueled cloth" ^^.
This makes removing glue from sponge much easier. For me at least :)

Kaizoku
04-23-2015, 08:43 PM
I actually ended up doing the parafine style remove lol, + my thumb. Didn't take me too long but still no fun.
I think I'l buy Butterfly free chack the next time.
anyhow, I assume putting glue on top of the glue would have no cons appart from the fact that you don't get the "re-glued" effect. Which I presume the chinese have some reason for doing, better tension in the sponge if you remove? or something like that? as long as the glue is evenly on the sponge and would probably not leave any bubles there should be no problem, right?

Der_Echte
04-23-2015, 09:13 PM
All these LULZ of glue removal has kept me using regular rubber cement as my choice of adhering rubbers to the blade, but certain rubbers like Tenergy and Red Evo series, i would use water based glue the first time, rubber cement is not the way to go for the first gluing job on those.

liam chan
04-24-2015, 04:25 PM
best use hair dryer ,blow hot air and roll out with finger at the same time

tt-cro
04-25-2015, 08:27 PM
You should try some parafin oil like lamp oil :D

mahomedy13
04-25-2015, 09:41 PM
Take a table tennis ball and rub it over the glue.it causes the glue to roll together,which can then be easily removed.it seems difficult at first,but after that its easy

burhanayan
06-07-2018, 08:53 AM
x When I rubbed with a ball to Tenergy 05 FX and Bluestorm Z2, small sponge fragments had come out with glue. It took an hour that I fed up with it. Lots of holes on sponge in the end.

x When I rubbed with thumb, my thumb had suffered a lot. I found very ineffective to rub. Requires lots of energy.

:) When I try to peel the glue off by small movements, tried to peel the glue off in one peace, I spend less than 20 mins for each less energy, no suffering. I know it is not easy to peel off glue from springy sponges, stick on with peeling it off even if it doesn't come out in one peace. Additional tip while peeling off; try holding rubber. That will make you to grab glue easier.

edit: grammar

JST
06-07-2018, 11:02 AM
I never had big problems with getting old glue out from the sponge, probably because I put two layers on rubber and one on the blade (kind of habit from speed-glue era, bad or good who knows). If you have problem with getting glue layer out it might be because you have thin layer, just put there one more, let it dry and remove without problems. Works in 99% (the rest are usually special sponge types which are hard to clean by any method).

rogerino75
06-07-2018, 12:38 PM
I just use a table tennis ball and rub the sponge. Works great to remove old glue!

JobTabletennis
06-08-2018, 10:13 AM
Use masking tape, it works great with the new waterbased glue! For the old VOC glue put a new layer of VOC glue over the old glue so the glue layer is thicker, then try to get grip on the glue at a side of the rubber and take the glue of. At my frame I removed the VOC glue with Petrol but it wasn't that easy so I don't know if it's better than rubbing it with your thumb.

On YouTube are many videos about the usage of the masking tape on rubbers!

Succes!

Suga D
06-08-2018, 10:21 AM
I think I've posted this already on a different more recent thread with the same topic, but anyway, here goes:

Just pour a drop of oil on the glue layer and let it sink in for a minute. Then start rubbing on the spot where you poured the oil. You'll be able to remove the glue layer(s) easily and without any stress.

This works with ANY oil (e.g. babyoil, sunfloweroil, any) on ANY kind of glue (speedglue, wbg, latex)!

Gilmore Galgalgal Gilmore
06-15-2018, 11:27 PM
I read somewhere that a layer of rc on top of wb glue helps get it off easily but idk if that would be wise to do with a tensor rubber or right before a competition. Thick layers of tear mender work the best for me.