A Tibhar Aurus Sound review for you all

says Begonnen bij TTC Damme, vorig jaar bij TTC Pipolic en nu...
May 2011
Before I begin, I must say I have never done any reviewing before, so please forgive my noobiness on the subject.

First some general info:

Name: Tibhar Aurus Sound
Price: € 36.90 (Which is cheaper than the 'older' Genius Optimum+ Sound and Primus at €41,90, and the new Tibhar IQ at €46.90)
Thickness: 1.7, 1.9, 2.1 (I tested 2.1 on FH)
advertised specs:
* speed: 100
* control: 105
* spin: 114
(each category lying about 3-4 points higher than the more expensive optimum+ sound!?)
Hardness: Soft (about 38° in my humble opinion)

7439_0.jpg

My verdict:

I must say my opinion can be quite a little bit biassed as I tested the rubber on a brand new blade and I was in a quite euforic mood tonight.

It felt right, it just felt really right...
-The throwing angle is spectacular. After I hit a first heavy topspin, my adversary put a heavy chop on it, and it seemed like I could keep it on the table in slow-motion. I just gently brushed the ball and it went exactly where I wanted it. Needless to say, it is a very forgiving rubber. I sometimes felt I'd mi**** the ball, where it landed on the table after all!

-When it comes to blocking or driving, the throwing angle seems to have vanished. As I am a notorious too-long-a-ball-blocker, I was pleasantly surprised to see my blocks land ON the table instead of just long. (dunno if the English expression's right here)
A nice sound is produced especially in drive-mode

- As the rubber is seriously spinny, it meant my serves were harder to control for my adversary. I must say I didn't notice any difference here (of course the lad knows how to 'ping a pong'). I DID notice a bit more trouble to push back a chopped ball. The ball tends to go too long as the rubber's surface is grippier than what I'm used to.

- Away from the table, I noticed a very nice control when overspinning with a lot of spin, but felt a little bit annoyed when just hitting the ball at mid-distance. Maybe I'll have to adjust myself to that.
When (over-)spinning, you get a tremendous window - because of the throwing angle -, but hitting mid-distance often results in the balls going into the net ;(
Luckily I'm more a spinning type of guy instead of a hitting kind of guy, so I wasn't too annoyed by this.

Overall, I would conclude that I like this rubber and its price.
I love the throwing angle and the forgiveness that comes along.
I love the control during driving and blocking.
I don't like the reaction of the ball during hard-hitting (allthough I think it's a problem with all sound/soft rubbers)

I think it just surpasses the Nimbus soft, being a little bit faster and having higher dynamics.
It seems to play different from Tenergy, but I just can't put my finger on it.
It is advertised that it would last longer than a Nimbus (Thank God!), but I'm curious on how much longer that'll really turn out to be)

It is definately my new FH rubber.
Depends on the mood of my wife wether I get a 1.9 black on my BH

Any questions? Fire at will

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2011
Nice review.

Maybe we can use this thread to make a review from other rubbers or maybe make a new thread, so other people can see what others think about rubbers they play or played with.

they say it lasts longer than a tibhar nimbus rubber, but I played with that rubber for a long time and it only lasted for 2 months max. So i also want to know how long you can play with it.

1 question: About the softness of this rubber, what rubber comes close to it? Tenergy or nimbus or something else?

May 2011
I had quite a long period playing Nimbus Soft on both BH and FH and oddly, I consider this Aurus 'sound'-rubber to be harder.
I'd say it's just a little bit softer than the Tenergy64 I've played (and sometimes am still playing).

Must be mentioned though, that I used to speed-glue both my Nimbuses and the Tenergy64, and I didn't speedglue nor boost this aurus sound rubber.
--> I suppose this influences both softness- and spinsensation.

I'm considering to buy an aurus 'soft' 1.9 for my BH now (as soon I can get my hands on it and my wife doesn't notice :) ) Then I have my dream combination of blade + rubbers...

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2011
Nice review.

Maybe we can use this thread to make a review from other rubbers or maybe make a new thread, so other people can see what others think about rubbers they play or played with.

they say it lasts longer than a tibhar nimbus rubber, but I played with that rubber for a long time and it only lasted for 2 months max. So i also want to know how long you can play with it.

1 question: About the softness of this rubber, what rubber comes close to it? Tenergy or nimbus or something else?

I think that's a great idea, researching rubber is what led me to this forum to begin with!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2011
Before I begin, I must say I have never done any reviewing before, so please forgive my noobiness on the subject.

First some general info:

Name: Tibhar Aurus Sound
Price: € 36.90 (Which is cheaper than the 'older' Genius Optimum+ Sound and Primus at €41,90, and the new Tibhar IQ at €46.90)
Thickness: 1.7, 1.9, 2.1 (I tested 2.1 on FH)
advertised specs:
* speed: 100
* control: 105
* spin: 114
(each category lying about 3-4 points higher than the more expensive optimum+ sound!?)
Hardness: Soft (about 38° in my humble opinion)

7439_0.jpg

My verdict:

I must say my opinion can be quite a little bit biassed as I tested the rubber on a brand new blade and I was in a quite euforic mood tonight.

It felt right, it just felt really right...
-The throwing angle is spectacular. After I hit a first heavy topspin, my adversary put a heavy chop on it, and it seemed like I could keep it on the table in slow-motion. I just gently brushed the ball and it went exactly where I wanted it. Needless to say, it is a very forgiving rubber. I sometimes felt I'd mi**** the ball, where it landed on the table after all!

-When it comes to blocking or driving, the throwing angle seems to have vanished. As I am a notorious too-long-a-ball-blocker, I was pleasantly surprised to see my blocks land ON the table instead of just long. (dunno if the English expression's right here)
A nice sound is produced especially in drive-mode

- As the rubber is seriously spinny, it meant my serves were harder to control for my adversary. I must say I didn't notice any difference here (of course the lad knows how to 'ping a pong'). I DID notice a bit more trouble to push back a chopped ball. The ball tends to go too long as the rubber's surface is grippier than what I'm used to.

- Away from the table, I noticed a very nice control when overspinning with a lot of spin, but felt a little bit annoyed when just hitting the ball at mid-distance. Maybe I'll have to adjust myself to that.
When (over-)spinning, you get a tremendous window - because of the throwing angle -, but hitting mid-distance often results in the balls going into the net ;(
Luckily I'm more a spinning type of guy instead of a hitting kind of guy, so I wasn't too annoyed by this.

Overall, I would conclude that I like this rubber and its price.
I love the throwing angle and the forgiveness that comes along.
I love the control during driving and blocking.
I don't like the reaction of the ball during hard-hitting (allthough I think it's a problem with all sound/soft rubbers)

I think it just surpasses the Nimbus soft, being a little bit faster and having higher dynamics.
It seems to play different from Tenergy, but I just can't put my finger on it.
It is advertised that it would last longer than a Nimbus (Thank God!), but I'm curious on how much longer that'll really turn out to be)

It is definately my new FH rubber.
Depends on the mood of my wife wether I get a 1.9 black on my BH

Any questions? Fire at will

Nice review!

May 2011
chughtai, I haven't tried it on my BH yet, but I'm off for some training hours tonight, and I promise I'll try it out :cool:

May 2011
Anyone else tried the rubber yet?

May 2011
I have both an aurus sound 1.9 and an aurus soft 2.1 coming towards me next week. Looking forward to review them both.
Will start a new thread for the "Soft" version.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2012
I have tried 2.1 mm ones, just to feel the spin and to have more control. But it was not a good choice for me, because i have replaced it with my omega pro 4 which has complatelly different property. I has higher throw angle i think, and the ball behaves as if its coming from a catapult! I couldnt get used to it, i dunno, its just me :)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2011
When reviewing rubbers it would be good to compare the hardness to another rubber because 38 degrees can be anything depending on the scale. For example I wouldn't call a 38 degree DHS rubber soft.
Just a recommendation.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
I'm now using Aurus Sound for my backhand. I who used to use softer rubbers like Desto F3 Bigslam or Acuda S3 would like say that Aurus sound is much harder than the two mentioned rubbers. I think Aurus Sound's hardness of the sponge and topsheet is the same as Baracuda Bigslam, but the feel and sound of them are different. I also think that it's even harder than Baracuda Bigslam.
To me, I like Acuda S3 the best.
Soft & Sound: Desto F3 Bigslam > Acuda S3 > Baracuda Bigslam > Aurus Sound = Omega IV Elite.

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
I used to use T05 on FH, but when I started getting sheets of Calibra LT and Aurus, they made me change my mind about T05 in a hurry. Although I really like Calibra LT's finishing power and the great ability to re-loop an incoming topspin, Tibhar Aurus (the harder sponged version) quickly became my FH rubber of choice. The topsheet is wonderful and grabs everything, very elastic and supple topsheet. The allround control of Aurus is superior, period. Shots would simply land, moreso than with Calibra accross the wide range of speeds and shot selection. Aurus is a very fine Allround OFF rubber that is actually faster than T05 with excellent control. I can hit through opponets using Aurus and I can play a controlled topsin game when needed, and I can control those "connecting" shots Korean coaches stress so much when it is not high percentage to make a wild topsin shot. Aurus is like 1/2 the price of Tenergy and if you hit for hours a day, you will get maybe ONE MONTH out of Tenergy before it really starts to tank. Aurus, you get 6 weeks, sometimes 8 weeks and it still performs well, only you have the edges falling apart by this time, which also happens on Tenergy for me.

All in all, using Aurus is an outstanding choice for an offensive player looking for excellent performance accross the whole spectrum of offensive shots while keeping nice pace, great spin, and nice control.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2012
@Der_Echte, What do you mean by connecting shots? Didn't understand that part. For the rest of your post, I totally agree with you.. been playing with Aurus on my FH for about 4 months now. I love it. It has a high throw angle. My loops have that 'little' extra spin that we all crave. Opponents don't find it comfortable to block, unless they have dead rubbers of course.. :)

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Koreans term connecting as shots played during the rally that setup your pressure or finishing shots, or keep you in hte rally to make a stronger shot later in the rally. A FH drive to the playing elbow is one ezample, another example is a light topsin shot that goes over the net very low and kicks, which is difficult to aggressively attack. Those are examples of connecting shots. You use them to "connect" shots in a rally to give you the chance to use your heavy pressure or finishing shots.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2012
I used to use T05 on FH, but when I started getting sheets of Calibra LT and Aurus, they made me change my mind about T05 in a hurry. Although I really like Calibra LT's finishing power and the great ability to re-loop an incoming topspin, Tibhar Aurus (the harder sponged version) quickly became my FH rubber of choice. The topsheet is wonderful and grabs everything, very elastic and supple topsheet. The allround control of Aurus is superior, period. Shots would simply land, moreso than with Calibra accross the wide range of speeds and shot selection. Aurus is a very fine Allround OFF rubber that is actually faster than T05 with excellent control. I can hit through opponets using Aurus and I can play a controlled topsin game when needed, and I can control those "connecting" shots Korean coaches stress so much when it is not high percentage to make a wild topsin shot. Aurus is like 1/2 the price of Tenergy and if you hit for hours a day, you will get maybe ONE MONTH out of Tenergy before it really starts to tank. Aurus, you get 6 weeks, sometimes 8 weeks and it still performs well, only you have the edges falling apart by this time, which also happens on Tenergy for me.

All in all, using Aurus is an outstanding choice for an offensive player looking for excellent performance accross the whole spectrum of offensive shots while keeping nice pace, great spin, and nice control.

have you tried xiom vega pro? if yes, how is aurus compared to it? thnx in advance