PDA

View Full Version : STIGA Carbonado 145 Blade Review with Fan Zhendong!

TableTennisDaily
12-20-2014, 11:38 AM
STIGA Carbonado 145 Blade Review with Fan Zhendong!

TableTennisDaily had the fantastic opportunity to review STIGA's latest blade the Carbonado 145 with world no.3 Fan Zhendong!

Both @Dan and Fan Zhendong used the STIGA Carbonado 145 blade in the review. The video looks at various techniques and a range of shots used in today's modern game of table tennis and also which types of players this carbon blade is suited to.

Thanks to STIGA, (https://www.facebook.com/stigatabletennis) Daniel Ives and Fan Zhendong in the making of this review.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=inkUivB2iwU

We hope you have enjoyed this review, let us know what you think by posting below guys. The Chinese National Team have worked alongside STIGA China and STIGA Sweden to produce this blade. Players of the CNT are currently using and testing the blade in practice.

In January we will release the Carbonado 190 review with Xu Xin and Kristian Karlsson! Stay tuned.

Check out more TableTennisDaily Equipment Reviews here. (http://www.tabletennisdaily.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?289-TTD-Equipment-Reviews)

John18
12-20-2014, 12:13 PM
This is awesome ! What I like the most in this video is when Dan does the first banana flick and FZD nods like "yeah man, that's a good flick" http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-laughing002.gif.
It's really great to see CNT players in others situations than tournaments !

Spark5309
12-20-2014, 12:14 PM
Thanks for reviewing this blade, looking forward to the 190 review.

rajd1234
12-20-2014, 12:28 PM
Nice review as usual. When are these bad boys coming to the market? Did Stiga announce that? And more importantly what would be the price? I think Stiga understands it market and we don't want another Super ZLC kinda in the market.

anchorschmidt
12-20-2014, 01:37 PM
Wow, I'm not that interested in the blades as of now but it must have been incredible to play with the world no.1 and 2 at the time. I wish FZD said something in the review but it was great to see his backhand flick close up. Did you get to talk with them?

You were 11-5 against FZD versus 11-5 against Waldner (bonus points to Waldner as he was wearing pants) :) Conclusion, let's send him to the next WTTC and watch him beat the chinese :D

Michal_Z
12-20-2014, 01:53 PM
I am only wondering, after this great review, if TTD will announce some Christmas competition with a chance of winning these two blades.. ? :)
Would be nice..
Not sure if that would be anything for me as I never won a competition here at this site :D

And guys, like this post if you agree with the competition :P

Flash Gordon
12-20-2014, 02:50 PM
thanks dan for a great review. it will be very interesting to hear from you if you feel the difference between the 145 and 190. what a fantastic oppertunity for you to play with these guys, im very envious and would almost do anything just to play a few balls with these superstars.

raazzz
12-20-2014, 03:39 PM
Great review as always, can't wait to get my hands on these blades. So incredible with Fan Zhendong in the review and that the pros helps Stiga to make these blades!

Giangt
12-20-2014, 05:23 PM
Nice as always Dan! You are getting the hang of it ;) Fan Zhendong is having a great time beating the cr.p out of you ;) Good times!

Dan
12-20-2014, 11:39 PM
This is awesome ! What I like the most in this video is when Dan does the first banana flick and FZD nods like "yeah man, that's a good flick" http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-laughing002.gif.
It's really great to see CNT players in others situations than tournaments !

Haha John! You are right! He was kind of showing me how to do it! It was awesome, he makes it look so dam easy!

Nice review as usual. When are these bad boys coming to the market? Did Stiga announce that? And more importantly what would be the price? I think Stiga understands it market and we don't want another Super ZLC kinda in the market.

Thanks Rajd! They are coming out in January, but I am not to sure of the exact date in Jan. I am unsure of price to and interested to see how much they will be to.

Wow, I'm not that interested in the blades as of now but it must have been incredible to play with the world no.1 and 2 at the time. I wish FZD said something in the review but it was great to see his backhand flick close up. Did you get to talk with them?

You were 11-5 against FZD versus 11-5 against Waldner (bonus points to Waldner as he was wearing pants) :) Conclusion, let's send him to the next WTTC and watch him beat the chinese :D

Yeah it was such an amazing, surreal experience. I spoke with Fan for around 5 minutes after. He had little English but seemed to understand stuff, we used a lot of body language to communicate :)

My friend (Yi Ming) who lives in England use to live with Fan Zhendong when he was younger (around 2 years ago) so I showed Fan Zhendong some pictures of him on my phone and he was surprised I new him. I said, Yi Ming says hi :)

Was cool! Aha! Waldner for WTTC! Living legend!

I am only wondering, after this great review, if TTD will announce some Christmas competition with a chance of winning these two blades.. ? :)
Would be nice..
Not sure if that would be anything for me as I never won a competition here at this site :D

And guys, like this post if you agree with the competition :P

Hehe that is a very nice idea Michal, we will see :)

thanks dan for a great review. it will be very interesting to hear from you if you feel the difference between the 145 and 190. what a fantastic oppertunity for you to play with these guys, im very envious and would almost do anything just to play a few balls with these superstars.

No worries Flash Gordan! I will be aiming to release the review in 1/2 weeks time. The review is also with Sweden's Kristian Karlsson which is cool!

Great review as always, can't wait to get my hands on these blades. So incredible with Fan Zhendong in the review and that the pros helps Stiga to make these blades!

Thanks Raz! I am looking forward to your review of the blades, I think you will be happy :)

Nice as always Dan! You are getting the hang of it ;) Fan Zhendong is having a great time beating the cr.p out of you ;) Good times!

Lol! He had a great time, he had me running all over the place :D

Amayzde
12-21-2014, 12:13 AM
Iven never been hyped before about new equipment coming out but DAMN I wanna try this blade soooooo baaddd. Hopefully its not too expensive but I expect it to be 100 euros atleast.

alexander.groh
12-21-2014, 09:11 AM
Great! Just amazing!
One question for Dan: Where you nervous when playing against FZD or XX? When I am playing with some good players or trainers that want to check how good you are, I feel more responsibility and I ussualy play worse than if was not nervous...

Olio
12-21-2014, 09:25 AM
Is it limba or koto outer?

When you say it rivals the best carbon blades, which common ones would you compare it to ? TB ALC?

I'm really interested in a comparison of throw / dwell / speed with Maze, Tbs or alc, Viscaria.

Thanks for the review. You must have enjoyed this!

Skully
12-21-2014, 02:27 PM
Nice review! Recently I've been looking at Carbon blades just to help with my game just as a switchup to my Balsa Carbo X5. Would you say this blade would be a good blade for off the table play?

Outerveneer
12-21-2014, 03:59 PM
Good review. Do you think it will work good with Tenergy 05 and Airoc M?

Flash Gordon
12-22-2014, 05:51 AM
rumors says that not only stiga players testing these blades at the moment and that also other top players from other brands testing it. anyone that can confirm it. would be interesting to know what players?

raazzz
12-22-2014, 09:26 AM
rumors says that not only stiga players testing these blades at the moment and that also other top players from other brands testing it. anyone that can confirm it. would be interesting to know what players?

I can't verify or deny that rumor but I would not be surprised to see a lot of top players from different brands changing to new Carbonado blades. I think to see Fan Zhendong play with it in this review and Dan's comment about it being good tells us that this blade is something else! Can't wait to try it out myself.

Dan
12-22-2014, 10:22 AM
Iven never been hyped before about new equipment coming out but DAMN I wanna try this blade soooooo baaddd. Hopefully its not too expensive but I expect it to be 100 euros atleast.

I was very excited to, as it is something new and different. I was very pleased with the result :) In terms of price I have no idea how much the blade will be.

Is it limba or koto outer?

When you say it rivals the best carbon blades, which common ones would you compare it to ? TB ALC?

I'm really interested in a comparison of throw / dwell / speed with Maze, Tbs or alc, Viscaria.

Thanks for the review. You must have enjoyed this!

Hi Olio, I am not to sure if the outer ply is limba or koto. In terms of comparing the blades I would say the Carbonado 145 acts more like a Viscaria blade in terms of throw and dwell. The speed is similar to the TBS however not as direct it seemed. The Carbonado 190 was more of the direct blade due to the lower trajectory similar to the Zhang Jike Super ZLC. I havent tried the Maze blade so not entirely sure.

Thanks for your comment, it was an incredible experience, it was really different to the norm :)

Nice review! Recently I've been looking at Carbon blades just to help with my game just as a switchup to my Balsa Carbo X5. Would you say this blade would be a good blade for off the table play?

Thanks Skully! Yeah I would say this is a good blade away from the table as the throw is pretty high and gives good margin for error on the shots. That's what I felt :) Let me know if you try it out, I would be interested in your comments :)

Good review. Do you think it will work good with Tenergy 05 and Airoc M?

Thanks! And definitely yeah! I used it with the Airoc M in this review and it will work with T05 to.

I cannot confirm this, as I am unsure but I can imagine this to be true. I know Fan Zhendong and Xu Xin were keen to try the final product so I am sure other players will be to.

Skully
12-22-2014, 05:46 PM
Thanks Skully! Yeah I would say this is a good blade away from the table as the throw is pretty high and gives good margin for error on the shots. That's what I felt :) Let me know if you try it out, I would be interested in your comments :)

Thanks for that, it looks like something that could be something for me in the future, probably wont be until the end of the season though. Not a huge fan of changing a setup that's working for me right now, but Im considering using this blade when our leagues finally move to the poly ball

Amayzde
12-23-2014, 06:23 AM
Like a Viscaria in throw and dwell and the speed of a Timo Boll Spirit? Well if this is true then its the perfect blade for me :))))

jedimasterplk
12-24-2014, 03:19 PM
Hi Dan! how was it playing with the chinese top brass?)) I found that these guys are good - but not really stratospherically/out of this world good (well not to players good enough for British league div1 or even premier standard)- the fact that you made 5 points proves it)) Yes, they are strong, and yes, you would never defeat them in a match, BUT considering they are pros - you would give them a damn good game! what are your thoughts??)

harveyaquino
12-25-2014, 12:00 AM
Just when I'm planning to go back to composite blades! and carbon at that! haha! nice timing, Stiga. :)
Indeed, tempting blade. I wonder if it would suit medium pips. :)

Killerspintt
12-25-2014, 01:51 PM
Hi Dan! how was it playing with the chinese top brass?)) I found that these guys are good - but not really stratospherically/out of this world good (well not to players good enough for British league div1 or even premier standard)- the fact that you made 5 points proves it)) Yes, they are strong, and yes, you would never defeat them in a match, BUT considering they are pros - you would give them a damn good game! what are your thoughts??)

Man this is a sparring match sponsored by Stiga, if FZD is not stratospherically good/out of this world, then nobody is.

Flash Gordon
12-25-2014, 02:22 PM
Man this is a sparring match sponsored by Stiga, if FZD is not stratospherically good/out of this world, then nobody is.
you are so right. fzd would give maximum 3 points per set to dan if fzd play 80% of maximum, no offence against dan, he is for sure a good player but fzd is ranked no3 in the world

Outerveneer
12-25-2014, 04:06 PM
Does someone know what the price is going to be?

jedimasterplk
12-26-2014, 11:10 AM

Thats right nobody is. Depends what level we are talking about (note that I mentioned for a British league div1 or prem league). No one is stratospherically good/better (by the very definition of stratospheric) for that level of player. Yes, they will get beaten, perhaps badly, but not the way for instance, a hobby player would. Thats why the word 'stratospheric' is used in the post.
The problem with lower ranked players when facing big players is twofold - first - IF they ever have a chance (highly unlikely) to play a FZD type player, it would be well outside their normal conditions/comfort zones - in a v.large arena or stage. Not being used to quite this type of pressure, nerves will ultimately kill their game. High level players, in addition to the advantage of being technically superior, have the edge in terms of being used to playing in this type of environment.

jedimasterplk
12-26-2014, 11:17 AM
You seem 100% certain about this - I am not so sure))) On what basis are you making this conclusion? I can only assume that you are making this on the basis of perception, that FZD is no 3 in the world, and that he is FZD. I could be making the wrong assumptions of course - but judging by your logic and reasoning, (had we not known the results of the match) I would say you would be one of the many people arguing till you are blue in the face that Aruna Quadri would be crushed 3-0 by Zjang Jike. We all know that was not the case - and had Aruna been a bit more composed (and ZJK not so lucky) in a few crucial points - the match would have ended much closer. Belief is paramount. A certain level of player (Dan for instance) will NOT be beaten 11-3 by anyone - I dont care who - IF he plays his best and does not get overcome by nerves and who he is playing against. If you go in against a big name and tell yourself you will get beaten 11-0 - then inevitable you will, because you have resigned to that fate - not due to lack of skill/technical competence, but because you did so in your head.

Killerspintt
12-26-2014, 11:29 AM
Thats right nobody is. Depends what level we are talking about (note that I mentioned for a British league div1 or prem league). No one is stratospherically good/better (by the very definition of stratospheric) for that level of player. Yes, they will get beaten, perhaps badly, but not the way for instance, a hobby player would. Thats why the word 'stratospheric' is used in the post.
The problem with lower ranked players when facing big players is twofold - first - IF they ever have a chance (highly unlikely) to play a FZD type player, it would be well outside their normal conditions/comfort zones - in a v.large arena or stage. Not being used to quite this type of pressure, nerves will ultimately kill their game. High level players, in addition to the advantage of being technically superior, have the edge in terms of being used to playing in this type of environment.

FZD was the chinese national finalist at 16, losing 11-9 in the 7th set, at 17 he is the Chinese national champion.......I call that being stratospherically good. I know many players from chinese super league (playing now in France, that includes my coach), and even for them..........FZD is "out of this world".
I'm not speaking about ZJK or Ma long here, indeed they are top class of chinese players, but no they are not considered "out of this word" by the chinese players I know, only FZD is, they have never seen that and they couldn't think that a 17yo kid would be able to win the Chinese Nationals before FZD.

jedimasterplk
12-26-2014, 12:44 PM
FZD was the chinese national finalist at 16, losing 11-9 in the 7th set, at 17 he is the Chinese national champion.......I call that being stratospherically good. I know many players from chinese super league (playing now in France, that includes my coach), and even for them..........FZD is "out of this world".
I'm not speaking about ZJK or Ma long here, indeed they are top class of chinese players, but no they are not considered "out of this word" by the chinese players I know, only FZD is, they have never seen that and they couldn't think that a 17yo kid would be able to win the Chinese Nationals before FZD.

I see your point. But I still maintain that if Dan is relaxed and playing at his best, he will not lose 11 - 3 to FZD... I am convinced of that. He probably would, of course, if he was on a table in a huge arena, with thousands watching, and millions on tv - due to nerves, not because he was that much technically inferior.

Dan
12-26-2014, 11:55 PM

Hey!

Haha it was amazing playing against them! Hmm this is a very interesting and difficult question to answer. I think when I played Fan Zhendong in the review he played the basics so well. His basics are so good that its like your playing against a robot at perfection. When I played Fan in the match he made some errors but I do feel he wouldn't have made as many as them if his motivation was higher. I think the reason they don't look out of this world, crazily good is because pros like the Chinese focus on basics all the time. They keep the game very simple and practise getting the fundamentals correct (all the time).
I personally think playing a Chinese players style easier than lets say Jan Ove Waldner due to the variation euro style players make..

For example... I use to be coached by Sun Jin (Sydney 2000 Olympics Women's Doubles Silver Medallist) and she was a left handed player with short pimples. It was so difficult to play against. In real practice matches i would get 1 or 2 points per set. But I believe this was because it was impossible to read what she was going to do. Whereas playing Fan Zhendong is a lot more conventional type of game so you kind of know what to expect, however at amazing quality.

In a nutshell, these current CNT players practise so much and with each other every day they simply improve and become flawless. They started at such a young age with fantastic coaches and great training partners with excellent environments. Fan Zhendong become one of the best in the world at the age of 16. Insane really.

Just when I'm planning to go back to composite blades! and carbon at that! haha! nice timing, Stiga. :)
Indeed, tempting blade. I wonder if it would suit medium pips. :)

True! Let us know how you find the rubber with short pips, i'd be interested.

Does someone know what the price is going to be?

At the end of January we will find out :)

exort
12-27-2014, 10:32 AM
FZD not played with your blade or its rubbers ..and none is stiga ...

Michal_Z
12-28-2014, 01:25 PM
Hmm..
My coach said: "Stiga had good blades 30-40 years ago. Back then there was this guy making them. After he died, he took his secret to the grave. Take 30-40 years old blade from Stiga and try it! It will be awesome! Take any new from them, its crap. ... new carbon technology? Bullsh*t.. Carbon is carbon. Put layers this way or that way, its always hard piece of carbon and its always the same. Important is the other stuff around it." .. well that was his words, not mine, I only share..
But this guy has some respect in my country..

raazzz
12-28-2014, 07:29 PM
Hmm..
My coach said: "Stiga had good blades 30-40 years ago. Back then there was this guy making them. After he died, he took his secret to the grave. Take 30-40 years old blade from Stiga and try it! It will be awesome! Take any new from them, its crap. ... new carbon technology? Bullsh*t.. Carbon is carbon. Put layers this way or that way, its always hard piece of carbon and its always the same. Important is the other stuff around it." .. well that was his words, not mine, I only share..
But this guy has some respect in my country..

Well everyone got their own opinion but saying that every Stiga blade the last 30-40 years is crap is for me bullshi*t. Stiga got a really good reputation when it comes to making blades and I would be surprised if your "pro" coach have tried all of Stigas blades the last years. The setup is very individual but I think your coach sounds a bit pessimistic :(

trim
01-02-2015, 05:47 PM
a date for the review of carbonado 190 ?

Dan
01-02-2015, 09:45 PM
a date for the review of carbonado 190 ?

Hi Trim,

This Monday 5th January :)

Giangt
01-02-2015, 09:49 PM

Prices are up on tabletennis11.com

145: 190 euros
190: 170 euros

trim
01-03-2015, 06:19 AM
Hi Trim,

This Monday 5th January :)

thank you dan :)

raazzz
01-05-2015, 12:19 AM
Well the prize wasn't that bad, does someone know the reason for the prize difference between the blades? :)

rajd1234
01-05-2015, 04:48 AM
People with Shake hand grip mostly prefers to have sweet spot like Carbonado 145. While the pen holders will be inclined to the Carbonado 190. Since the shake hand holders dominate the market the price has been set a bit higher to maximize the profit. But this was purely my observation.

dannyreventon
01-05-2015, 05:12 AM
Because putting the carbon weave in a 45deg angle costs more than putting it in a 90deg angle. >:)

raazzz
01-07-2015, 08:31 PM
Well two different answers, sounds like you both can be right!:)

Outerveneer
01-11-2015, 04:56 PM
Is the that prize from a reliable site or can the real prize be different? Has Stiga realized the prize themselves?

trim
01-12-2015, 06:16 PM
i want this blade :p

rocketscientist
01-12-2015, 06:48 PM
i want this blade :p

Get in line behind me! ;)

Giangt
01-12-2015, 06:53 PM
Get in line behind me! ;) I think you both have to get in line after FZD ;)

rocketscientist
01-12-2015, 06:58 PM
I think you both have to get in line after FZD ;)

haha, true that! I read that a big part of the Chinese team are trying the blade. Would be sick if Ma long or Zhang Jike started playing with it as well!

Giangt
01-12-2015, 07:02 PM
haha, true that! I read that a big part of the Chinese team are trying the blade. Would be sick if Ma long or Zhang Jike started playing with it as well!
I doubt the latter you stated but it would be cool if some of the CNT started using it.

Outerveneer
01-12-2015, 07:56 PM
I really looking forward to try it myself and also see if the pros will use it!

P1ngP0ng3r
01-12-2015, 08:36 PM
Is the that prize from a reliable site or can the real prize be different? Has Stiga realized the prize themselves?

tt11 is a very decent webshop and their price of the Emerald was also correct.
Maybe prices of the carbonado's are bit too high and they will announce a special promo price as soon as they have stock (just like they did with Infinity and Emerald)

Outerveneer
01-21-2015, 09:58 PM

yeah that would be awesome! Really looking forward to see which pros that will use it!

Giangt
01-23-2015, 04:34 PM
@Dan do you know anything about the composition of the Carbonado blades? Could be interesting to know if they have similar composition of blades we know of today.

Spitfire
01-31-2015, 06:43 PM
Does anyone have the 145 and can give some feedback on the speed of the blade in comparison with other STIGA blades??

raazzz
02-01-2015, 03:02 PM
Has someone tried it yet and want to share their first impressions? :)

Outerveneer
02-06-2015, 08:34 AM
Has someone tried it yet and want to share their first impressions? :)

I don't think you can order it in so many places yes?

John18
02-17-2015, 12:18 PM
Here is a video by Stiga of FZD and Liu Guoliang talking about Carbonado blades.
It's more like an ad but FZD says he prefers 190 for his personal style.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YaAxj8PKOuw

sebas-aguirre
02-17-2015, 10:48 PM
I wonder why stiga doesn't produce koto blades.
carbonado looks like the perfect fit for a koto outer layer.
would be nice to ask this to stiga designers.
I think maybe some time ago koto was considered a lower quality wood so for their best blades they would use limba.

but now after the success of butterfly, I think stiga should reconsider koto wood.

Flash Gordon
02-18-2015, 10:47 AM
it would be very interesting to hear a comparison from players that have bty carbon blades what they think of this carbon blade. always nice to hear all different comments of blades.

raazzz
02-18-2015, 09:29 PM
it would be very interesting to hear a comparison from players that have bty carbon blades what they think of this carbon blade. always nice to hear all different comments of blades.

I have actually ordered both the 190 and the 145 blade and one of my friends in my club plays with a butterfly carbon blade, If it's okej with him and i got the time I can maybe do a review and a comparing!

Wiseman
02-19-2015, 10:28 AM
Both blades costs 899 SEK at TTEX= 100 euros.

TTHopeful
02-19-2015, 11:32 AM
I have actually ordered both the 190 and the 145 blade and one of my friends in my club plays with a butterfly carbon blade, If it's okej with him and i got the time I can maybe do a review and a comparing!

Great, I would like to hear your review comparing the two.

raazzz
02-21-2015, 11:57 PM
Great, I would like to hear your review comparing the two.

I will try to make it next week! :)