Medium Pip players (strategy, style, and general discussion)

This user has no status.
Hello TTD!

I have recently converted (about two months) into playing in the "dark side." Hehe. My backhand is now equipped with pips.
However, I am using a rather "rarer"(because in my area, there are little to none) type of pips which is medium pips.
Currently using Globe 888 and I am getting the hang of it. But without a coach to help me (since it's the Holidays), I've decided to ask you guys for tactics, techniques, strategies in playing with it. Also, on the behaviour of the rubber against different types of spins and what stroke and angle should I use (although I have quite understood some of the rubber's characteristics based on trial-and-error. hehe)

My own strategy is to serve a short topspin to my opponents backhand and letting them flick or push, and when flicked or pushed to my backhand, I can safely punch it parallel to their forehand side. Also, when receiving short services, regardless of spin, I delay the receive and lightly chop the ball to scrub off the spin resulting in a dead ball, I also swipe the ball to the extreme forehand side of the opponent. Mostly, my problem has been receiving dead services which bounces twice into my court, with the second bounce near baseline. Twiddling is also used to confuse the opponent more. hehe

Although very tricky to use, IMO, medium pips are very versatile. They are good for blocking topspin, can do some occasional chop, and can also impart spin.

I hope we can share our info here regarding medium pips. And also, I'm looking for fellow pip players here, especially medium pip users. :)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2013
I have this.
1a623c28c03031b978a13f119cbb66e0.jpg

Behavior of med and short are almost the same.. others can contribute.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Last edited:
This user has no status.
I have this.
1a623c28c03031b978a13f119cbb66e0.jpg

Behavior of med and short is almost the same.. others can contribute.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Nice! Thank you! :D But what I know is medium pips play closer to long pips than short pips, and basing from the picture, I can confirm that some of them can be applied to medium pips. Also, I noticed that when my opponent serves a short mild backspin and I slice it to his far forehand side, the ball retains that backspin instead of becoming a topspin ball. :)

Hmmm.. basing from the reply so far, I think TTD has lesser number of pip players? Or are they even here? hehe

This user has no status.
Also, I am upgrading my blade, which is Clipper CR (non-WRB) to either Ai Fukuhara ZLF Pro or the Clipper CC. I loved the feel of CR so I considered the CC to be a worthy upgrade. The Fukuhara ZLF is my first choice as I know it is really suited for medium pips because it was created for my idol, Ai-chan. haha. Both blades are composites. I wanted my blade to be a bit more springy and fast than the CR but also retain good feel. I also considered Gergely Alpha (hence why I created a separate thread for it) but I am hesitant because it may be too fast for my short game. Which is better?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2014
Hi I"m nasu from Romania , my advice is : don't forget to have fun ,for me that is important ....and for performace :don"t give up! Good luck !