Best setup for learning defense.

This user has no status.
Hi guys, I would like to learn defense just in my spare time when I am not playing in tournaments or club matches. I was wondering what blades, rubbers and pimples would you suggest to someone that is learning defense? I have all the basic shots already just need to improve the backhand chop aspect and wondering what pimples or anti-spin will be the best to learn with? I will be modern defensive with looping/block/push forehand and chopping/pimples/wobble shots on the backhand? Something that is relatively cheap under the $100AUD mark? I have been practicing this and mucking around for quite some time, was thinking of going down a division to practice my defense.

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
You need to define a defensive style first and go from there.

Classic defender?

Modern defender?

part time defender?

Chopper?

Retriever?

Lobber?

SP? MP? LP? Thin sponge inverted? Anti?

So many different ways to go you ought to figure out which way first and select equipment suitable for it.

This user has no status.
You need to define a defensive style first and go from there.

Classic defender?

Modern defender?

part time defender?

Chopper?

Retriever?

Lobber?

SP? MP? LP? Thin sponge inverted? Anti?

So many different ways to go you ought to figure out which way first and select equipment suitable for it.
As I stated I will be a modern defensive player ;) with looping/retrieving/push/block on the forehand and most likely LP on the backhand for chop and wobble shots, I just wanted to know what pimples are good to learn the correct chopping technique with? I have used dtecs and really love them away from the table but close to the table they are a bit fiery and are hard for me to handle, this is on a stiga tube defense mind you! Thanks for the responses. I also would most likely have a faster tensor type rubber on the forehand or a boosted DHS.

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Sounds like youo are a candidate to buy from AffordableTT or OOAK being in AU, both shops will be able to outfit you for around your price range if you have a used FH rubber laying around.

Many possible combos. If you are just getting a new spare bat to muck around...

Get an ALL+ class blade if possible dual impact (like Nexy blades, but since you are going low cost...) try something like $45 AUD TSP Reflex Combi

http://tabletennisshop.com.au/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=54_91&products_id=872

Try out a controllable middle of the road Sponged LP... tryout TSP Curl P1R in 1.5 sponge for chopping.

http://tabletennisshop.com.au/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=93_96&products_id=409

Slap on a spare used FH rubber you like (say an older sheet of Tenergy you don't use anymoar) and you are in business.

An outfit like that should be able to put you in a position to muck around under your dollar limit.

This user has no status.
Sounds like youo are a candidate to buy from AffordableTT or OOAK being in AU, both shops will be able to outfit you for around your price range if you have a used FH rubber laying around.

Many possible combos. If you are just getting a new spare bat to muck around...

Get an ALL+ class blade if possible dual impact (like Nexy blades, but since you are going low cost...) try something like $45 AUD TSP Reflex Combi

http://tabletennisshop.com.au/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=54_91&products_id=872

Try out a controllable middle of the road Sponged LP... tryout TSP Curl P1R in 1.5 sponge for chopping.

http://tabletennisshop.com.au/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=93_96&products_id=409

Slap on a spare used FH rubber you like (say an older sheet of Tenergy you don't use anymoar) and you are in business.

An outfit like that should be able to put you in a position to muck around under your dollar limit.
Thanks heaps! I will look into the blade and rubber suggestions that you made :)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2014
Use a slow doni blade with either s3 or s2 on both sides. Batavia is also recommendede

says Aging is a killer
Thanks heaps! I will look into the blade and rubber suggestions that you made :)

I agree with Der_Echte. But add to that All+ blade someone's old Tenergy in 1.9 if you can find one. Don't worry if it doesn't quite fit. Tenergy's never really die if never boosted, so you'll still be good.
This way you won't be wandering too far from your normal setup.