PDA

View Full Version : TT Ball change after 2012 Olympics!

Dan
05-25-2011, 11:34 PM
Its officials. The ball will change after the 2012 Olympics due to celluloid being taken out of the production of the table tennis ball.

http://www.tischtennisbaelle.org/ballbilder_kl/Butterfly40+++orange_kl.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dHWjhXjMYFs
Any Chinese Translators more then welcome :)

Originally posted by Propositions to AGM BoD 2011-Results3

F - Proposed by the Executive Committee - PASSED

The ITTF Executive Committee and the Equipment Committee shall request from Ball Manufacturers to produce 40mm non-celluloid balls after the 2012 Olympic Games, in preparation for the total ban of celluloid production by national governments around the world, and the Equipment Committee shall adjust the Technical Leaflet in terms of description of the new material and tolerances.

Information regarding the material and playing characteristics is unclear, though PVC was once listed in earlier revision of the propositions that has since been removed. What is currently known is that the ball is made out of one single piece, thus eliminating the seam once and for all. Kudos to DHS and DFish for managing the feat. The new ball will also come with a slight increase in diameter between 40mm and 40.60mm as opposed to 39.50mm and 40.50mm.

22 - Proposed by the Equipment Committee - PASSED

To modify Technical Leaflet T3, The Ball (B.3 Size conformity); only
applying to balls not made of celluloid

The minimum diameter of every ball must be at least 39.50mm 40.00mm and its maximum diameter must not exceed 40.50mm 40.60mm. The sample mean average diameter, i.e. the mean of the average of the maximum and minimum diameters for each ball, must be in the range 39.60-40.40mm 40.00-40.50mm. Values below 39.25mm 39.70mm or above 40.75mm are considered in our calculations as outliers.

Section above taken from http://www.mytabletennis.net/forum/

Will this change effect TT... Be assured that the price will go up :D

kaikaz
05-26-2011, 12:13 AM
I will wait for the final decision but I was wondering is mr sharara a former table tennis player? Was he any good? Does he know what table tennis is about? He gives me the impression that he doesnt know much about the sport and just wants to end the chinese dominance in a wrong way.

How about more money for eureopean players to have the best practice there is and stop changing the game so much?

I understand what he is trying to do, but I think he forgets about the millions of other players who are not professional and are playing just for fun who has to adapt over and over again to all these changes.
It becomes more and more expensive aswell, but all pro's have sponsors but "normal" players dont have that.

Table tennis has become so expensive the last few years, I even spent more money on a blade and rubbers than I spent on my tennis racquet which has triple the size. I'm seriously thinking of finding a new sport and keep table tennis just as a hobby.

scylla24
05-26-2011, 03:08 AM
I mean, table tennis really should be far cheaper than tennis. A good racquet can last you for years, and even the rubber if you take care of it can last for a good 3-4 years. Judging that you are in a table tennis forum, you probably are more serious about tt than tennis, and therefore maybe are willing to spend more on it. But tennis balls are way more expensive, usually its hard to find a free public court to play on, and also you have to string your racquet every once in a while which can be expensive.

The good thing about table tennis is that its a sport that really works your hand eye coordination, your reflexes, your brain, and because you can play it into your old age, it really is quite beneficial to your health for your entire life. Very few other sports can really say that. I can't really think of that many other sports that can provide the total package of benefit for an entire life time that table tennis does, except probably swimming.

poltery
05-26-2011, 03:39 AM
damn i think this will affect my ball feeling,,,, expensive balls are making me insane

PongPing
05-26-2011, 03:55 AM
I cannot make any technical comment about this issue. But I believe, let's give this thing a chance. We don't know this one might be better than the ball that we are using at present. If the blades and rubbers are upgrading, why not with the ball.

WiWa
05-26-2011, 08:10 AM
Well if I see this, it seems like the change of material is a result of the fact that no more celluloid will be produced in the future. "Celluloid is banned in most of the world. If there is no mor celluloid, there will be no more pingpong balls." So this is not really Sharara's choice I think, it's just something inevitable that ball manufacturers get to deal with. They have to find new materials that will create a ball similar to the celluloid ones. I hope this won't affect play too much.

Justchill
05-26-2011, 08:45 AM
First the glue, than balls, next is that we will all have to play hardbat :p:p

We'll all get used to this..

YosuaYosan
05-26-2011, 09:08 AM
They ban celluloid ?
Prepare for the price rise ! Maybe they will use diamond instead :P

No problem though, will adapt quickly !

Mikey
05-26-2011, 09:40 AM
Hardbat rocks.

kaikaz
05-26-2011, 10:04 AM
damn i think this will affect my ball feeling,,,, expensive balls are making me insane

Me aswell, In my club we play with the 3 stars joola competition balls on training and in competition. But I can train like 2 weeks with it and I have to buy a new one, its insane. I like the nittaku balls better but they are more expensive.

kaikaz
05-26-2011, 10:05 AM
I cannot make any technical comment about this issue. But I believe, let's give this thing a chance. We don't know this one might be better than the ball that we are using at present. If the blades and rubbers are upgrading, why not with the ball.

Yes indeed and maybe the new material will make the ball go faster :D at least I hope it does.

YosuaYosan
05-26-2011, 10:46 AM
Hope the new ball aid the defenders !
Who knows the new material will have much less wind friction, making it similar to 38mm ball :D

Bollforte94
05-26-2011, 12:06 PM
Hope the new ball will have exactly the same attributes like the celluloid one but this is almost impossible ....

Matt Hetherington
05-26-2011, 01:13 PM
Yea I'm with everyone else I hope the difference isn't too major, one ball change was enuf! :P

idolLong
05-26-2011, 01:28 PM
WHAT's Next? Damn it

Charlie
05-26-2011, 01:31 PM
i was talking to a guy in my club about this and he said in china it was 3 pound a ball in english money its gonna be expensive!

Anders
05-26-2011, 01:49 PM
This is just stupid, why cant the ITTF just leave this game alone? Let the better players be the best, and we that are not on top should practise hard to get there, not change the rules every time Europe doesnt win a big trophy. This is kinda "table tennis-communism/facism" or something, why are they doing this???

Phil
05-27-2011, 05:16 PM
Hopefully it won't play much different else it will suck but I also think it could be a good thing if it makes balls last longer from taking away the seam, which is the bit where the ball cracks the most.

CJ
05-27-2011, 09:32 PM
Im not sure how much a ball change will effect my game i was't playing when they changed to 40 mm. but i hope it doesn't change it that much other then the ball not breaking as easy i don't think it needs to.

ttmonster
05-27-2011, 11:00 PM
don't think the size is much different though, just probably because of the possible variability in the production process of non-seam balls they are just mentioning limits of variation ... about the rest we will only get to know when it comes to our hands .... but if this is again a nexus between ittf and companies to increase profit margins :( ... its a shame !!! ITTF just needs to concentrate on making the game more popular than how to make manufactures richer !

UpSideDownCarl
05-28-2011, 12:39 AM
I doubt this is to make money for the equipment companies. I don't know that junking old equipment, designing new equipment for the making of the new ball, hoping to sell out of the old product while producing the new, none of it sounds like it would really benefit the companies. And people who have the old balls will probably use them until they are gone. I guess, the only thing is that we can hope that the new ball is as good or better than the old ball. My guess is that when they switched from cork to celluloid there was an improvement in play. :) Hopefully they are not doing this to make a ball that is worse. :)

I guess the thing that gets people up in arms is the fact that the new product is, as of now, an unknown variable. Will it be slower, will it be faster, will it play significantly differently, will it be more durable, will it break more easily? We won't know the answers to any of these questions until we get to try the new ones. I do still like the 38mm ball but the 40mm ball is fine. Hopefully the change will be less of a difference than that, or a noted improvement.

However, until we try them, we will not know, and the gloom and doom speak is really just an understandable fear of the unknown but it is probably not based on the reality of the situation.

ttmonster
05-28-2011, 12:51 AM
Agree with you Carl on the part "fear of the unknown " . Also having been a student of Statistics and looking at the press release the new conformation parameters look like nothing more than a more precise description of the "tolerance limit" . Infact , just calling it 40 mm today does not mean that it does not have variability in size. Just that we are not able to make it out with our sense.If prices go high and the overall $/no of hits does not change or if it changes and makes up for the quality of the ball it is all good. However , the reason I put some dirt on the "motive" is because I love table tennis and believe it should be a more popular game than it is today. Normally a game becomes more democratic once you reduce the base price of the equipment else it will stay "elite" , the case in point being "tennis" ... ( think of less richer coutries than US ) . Soccer is the most popular because 1. it is cheap and 2. the quality of television coverage is good . I believe ITTF has a lot left to do in this regard yet , and has displayed a consistent lack of will .
Recent example , reflex media taking down highlight videos in youtube and the live transmission left a lot to be desired in terms of no. of camera and camera angles.
So my point is ... instead of focussing on the equipment , try to make the sport more "view-er friendly" , popular and rewarding for the players. The rest will follow suite .

olvarox
05-28-2011, 05:09 PM
I've heard rumours the tables at the Olympics will get modified by 2cm in lenghth and 1 cm width. The net heighth will supposedly increase by 0.4-0.6 cm

Can anyone confirm this?

azlan
05-28-2011, 07:32 PM
its a shame !!! ITTF just needs to concentrate on making the game more popular than how to make manufactures richer !

I totally agree with TTmonster, I'm a strong advocate in making TT more accessible, friendly and affordable. Fiddling with the rules just ain't gonna cut it.

scylla24
05-28-2011, 08:48 PM
Does the change actually affect how the ball bounces and gameplay? Or is it just changing the material without changing the physics of the ball and game?

azlan
05-29-2011, 07:13 AM
Does the change actually affect how the ball bounces and gameplay? Or is it just changing the material without changing the physics of the ball and game?

I certainly think so. Just look at football, years ago we use to have footballs that are stitched between the seams, but now its all seamless. You can see how much the ball moves in the air. Now that TT balls are gonna be seamless too, time will only tell when the TT players figure out how to hit the TT balls to make it move unpredictably through the air.
Also with the increase in size (I've mentioned months earlier) no matter how minuscule it is, the spin will be lesser.

YosuaYosan
05-29-2011, 07:21 AM
Changing the ball without changing the physics of the game is very hard to achieve.

Bollforte94
05-29-2011, 09:40 AM
azlan is talking about "knuckle balls" in football but spin fortify the trajectory. as long as you are able to produce spin with the ball there will be no ball which moves in the air unpredictable ;)

YosuaYosan
05-29-2011, 11:11 AM
Haha unless football players have long pimpled shoes :P
Eh.. I think the sole of a football shoes is long pimpled, maybe people could make a wobble ball from kicking the ball with the sole of their shoes !

YosuaYosan
05-29-2011, 11:12 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Rj4Q9kqt60

If you look, the ball actually makes a strange flight path.
I assume that is a knuckle ball..

azlan
05-29-2011, 01:18 PM
Excellent video buddy.. basically it shows the opposite of spin comes back to you after hitting the pimple rubber. Knuckle ball is actually a no-spin ball. Well said Bollforte..I was implying on the no spin ball, and most probably players playing with long pips will have greater advantage.

UpSideDownCarl
05-29-2011, 01:33 PM
So my point is ... instead of focussing on the equipment , try to make the sport more "view-er friendly" , popular and rewarding for the players. The rest will follow suite .

I agree with this 100%.

YosuaYosan
05-29-2011, 01:53 PM
Yeah, its actually an almost-perfect spin reverse..
However dont you think its able to kill the spin on the ball nearly 100% using long pips with the right technique to produce knuckle balls ?
It happened sometimes to me. I 'punch' through the ball to kill the spin and suddenly the ball gone wild and awry :D

YosuaYosan
06-26-2011, 06:16 AM
Heard the ball's friction is even worst against air, making the game not only slower but having LESS SPIN 0_0
Bad news for defenders :( Good news for hitters..

YosuaYosan
06-26-2011, 06:19 AM
The good news for all is that the ball will be more durable and for the companies it is more safe to produce..

Rhydian
06-26-2011, 11:14 AM
Well, ITTF should think about how making table tennis more popular in Europe and America... They won't get to that result just by changing the ball and so on..
I hope that it will still be able to put a lot of spin in the ball and that the defenders will have a little bit more advantage and not the hitters... I don't like hitters... The game isn't spectacular...
I hope for the best!!

Stian
06-26-2011, 12:38 PM
Why do they need to change balls? i dont se the point in it, if the balls will be bigger everyone will lose their feeling

Bollforte94
06-26-2011, 01:06 PM
So to clean all rumours!:
Ittf didn't change to make table tennis more media friendly, to stop the chinese dominance or to make manufactures richer ........
There will be a celluloid ban in several countrys ans so they have to change the material of the ball
chinese professional players already tested the new ball and they were content.
in some countrys it can happen that the players play with the old ball and with the new ball at the same tim because the difference between the old and new one is so small

YosuaYosan
06-26-2011, 03:48 PM
Will never know until we try it ourselves but thanks for the clarification BollForte :D
I think the reason of the material change is only about safety and durability..

Rhydian
06-26-2011, 09:10 PM
I think so too YosuaYosan. And maybe it's cheaper for them, who knows ;)
Thanks for the explanation BollForte94 :)
When does the ball come out in Europe? (After the Olympics?)
And why are the Chinese the first to practice with the new ball? ^^ Are they the testers? :P And if they can't play well with the ball then the ball is rubbish or what? :D

YosuaYosan
06-27-2011, 01:19 AM
Maybe the China is the first to practice to show that its not to slow the game and not to stop China's domination.. Who knows ? Its one great TT country anyway..
About the price.. The new ball is made from plastic but I dont know whether plastic is cheaper or not compared to celluloid..
Dang I think about it too much.. I can still play TT anyway :D

WiWa
06-27-2011, 06:50 AM
If you get a knuckle-ball you should always topspin it right off the bounce, since it has no spin in it. Also u avoid missing the ball because of its weird angle. Becaus the bounce is a clear thing. There are not many players who produce those shots and therefore they are hard to play. But if you play them a couple of times using the right strategy, you will never lose again if their game relies on those shots.

Anders
06-27-2011, 01:32 PM
If the ball is about to change, I that it would be better if they set it back to 38 mm balls. It gives much more spin and speed, and its also more fun to play. With the ยจ38 mm ball I think Europe would be a lot better on the international basis :)

Matt Hetherington
06-27-2011, 02:55 PM
That's not a bad idea actually the 38mm ball in plastic could be the right balance. I think they will need to do a lot of testing with international players before the ball is released. I think we can sleep relatively easy knowing that we won't be given anything substandard with huge impacts on the game overall

YosuaYosan
09-04-2011, 09:07 AM
Bump !
Question !
How is the friction level of celluloid compared to the new plastic ball ?

UpSideDownCarl
09-05-2011, 10:17 PM
It is interesting, I am completely not worried or thinking about this subject. I am confident that what ever ball they come up with, it will be fine even if it is a little bit of an adjustment. I would like the idea of them going back to 38mm but I will not worry about what ever they end up with. I am sure it will be up to par.

@ Anders: I am totally jealous that there was not anything like this when I was going to high school: "TiT (Toppidrettsgymnaset i Telemark) a school that combines school with getting as good as you can in table tennis." This could get me to go back to school if I did not have to work so much to support myself, my wife and my daughter.

moriguchi2
09-08-2011, 11:12 PM
my question is and sorry if this is a repeat but what will it be made of and how will the new material affect play??

pingpongnz
11-06-2011, 09:56 PM
My opinion, I think its stupid to change size of ball. I just want to stay same. If it gonna to change..... I dunno if how much a ball change will affect during my game.

rhonis
11-07-2011, 09:41 AM
well i hope the ball will slow down the game. The speed that has grown in the last years is unbelievable. It can be nice to watch, but i think i like to watch a defender against an offender even more. Maybe the old chopping defenders can come back in the game. Now only with the womans proffessionals there are a few. Against men defenders stand no chance, maybe that changes. Who knows i think we just have to wait.

azlan
11-07-2011, 10:29 AM
well i hope the ball will slow down the game. The speed that has grown in the last years is unbelievable. It can be nice to watch, but i think i like to watch a defender against an offender even more. Maybe the old chopping defenders can come back in the game. Now only with the womans proffessionals there are a few. Against men defenders stand no chance, maybe that changes. Who knows i think we just have to wait.

That's true rhonis. I think the ITTF is trying to make the game a little more diverse. Maybe we will be able to see more defenders in the top 10, or even no 1.

rhonis
11-07-2011, 10:41 AM
That's true rhonis. I think the ITTF is trying to make the game a little more diverse. Maybe we will be able to see more defenders in the top 10, or even no 1. I don't think it's necessary to get a defender as the number 1 of the world, but now defenders don't even stand a chance. If the game slows down a little bit, maybe there will stand up a new J.O. Waldner with time to play unbelievable blocks and stuff like that.

YosuaYosan
11-07-2011, 11:49 AM
Nah, this will severe defenders' game down.
Back then when the ball was 38mm, the defender is always pressuring the attacker because of the massive load o' spin on the ball.

Now with the 40mm ball, the ball spin less therefore defenders now get pressured significantly.
The new ball after 2012 Olympics has larger diameter and higher bounce. Less spin, get hit more rather than looped, bad news for defenders it seems.
Reducing ball's speed won't be a help too because of the increasing speed in the game despite the glue ban.

rhonis
11-07-2011, 11:53 AM
Nah, this will severe defenders' game down.
Back then when the ball was 38mm, the defender is always pressuring the attacker because of the massive load o' spin on the ball.

Now with the 40mm ball, the ball spin less therefore defenders now get pressured significantly.
The new ball after 2012 Olympics has larger diameter and higher bounce. Less spin, get hit more rather than looped, bad news for defenders it seems.
Reducing ball's speed won't be a help too because of the increasing speed in the game despite the glue ban.
Thats not good news. The higher bounce is not good, but less speed will be good i think. Is it for sure known what the material will be (plastic)?

Mr. RicharD
11-08-2011, 01:22 AM
It's diameter is 0.5 mm on average more. As for the higher bounce I believe it also in the 1-2 mm range difference. If I'm not mistaken it'll also be made of PVC rather than Celluloid.

The newer ball won't really change much. The new ball is being added not replacing the celluloid ball. When the Celluloid balls are out of production and there are no more events to compensate the balls it will then replace the new ball. There are rules for both balls now as they will both be played in events simultaneously as I've read about.

If China is currently manufacturing the ball then there's no doubt they'll have the most practice time with it as opposed to the Euro players who'll have to weight for it to be sold in production. I think this will actually hurt the Europeans rather than the Chinese as China already has better footwork, technique, spin, and tactics so to make a ball that has slightly less spin and higher bounce would mean that the Euro players would need to hit harder and faster than the Chinese to produce conditions on balls that would win them points. The Chinese would simply have to learn the difference in height of the ball as they'll be spinning it more anyways.

rhonis
11-08-2011, 09:50 AM
Is there a picture of the new ball? Because the picture in the start of the forum looks like a normal ball to me.

YosuaYosan
11-08-2011, 09:55 AM
Is there a picture of the new ball? Because the picture in the start of the forum looks like a normal ball to me.

I think the new ball is seamless like the one in the picture.
Dunno for sure tho.

UpSideDownCarl
11-08-2011, 04:46 PM
The reason they are creating a new ball is because celluloid is dangerous and many countries have banned production of celluloid. So, to comply with this, they are changing what the ball is made out of to a different, safer form of plastic. Mr RicharD might be exactly correct in saying that the kind of plastic is PVC. Here is a quote from Wikipedia on PVC: " Polyvinyl chloride {PVC} is the third most widely produced plastic, after polyethylene and polypropylene."

So, a ball made out of a different kind of plastic. I believe the differences in size will be very small and what they are trying to do is make a plastic ball that responds as close to the way the current ball does as possible. Since it is made of a different substance, that probably will not be possible.

But the consideration, this time, was not the pace of the game or trying to make a particular style more successful, but the fact that celluloid is highly flammable and so many countries have banned its use.

YosuaYosan
11-08-2011, 04:49 PM
The reason they are creating a new ball is because celluloid is dangerous and many countries have banned production of celluloid. So, to comply with this, they are changing what the ball is made out of to a different, safer form of plastic. Mr RicharD might be exactly correct in saying that the kind of plastic is PVC. Here is a quote from Wikipedia on PVC: " Polyvinyl chloride {PVC} is the third most widely produced plastic, after polyethylene and polypropylene."

So, a ball made out of a different kind of plastic. I believe the differences in size will be very small and what they are trying to do is make a plastic ball that responds as close to the way the current ball does as possible. Since it is made of a different substance, that probably will not be possible.

But the consideration, this time, was not the pace of the game or trying to make a particular style more successful, but the fact that celluloid is highly flammable and so many countries have banned its use.

It has been said that the danger is not in the production but in the delivery where there is a chance of overheating the balls and it will explode because of the pressurized gas inside :eek:

Anyway this new ball seems to be great to play with, more consistency, more durability, higher bounce so defenders could take the ball even later, but dunno about the ball-air friction level and the speed :)
And above all, CHEAPER :D Maybe tho..

rhonis
11-08-2011, 05:12 PM
Well i know from playing a long time ago on holidays that we had some plastic balls, but the plastic balls have no grip at all. So the games can change a lot because celluloid has a layer on it that gives the grip on the ball. Makes it easier to put spin on the ball. Sure you can give spin to a slippery ball, but it's harder then the non-slippery ball.

YosuaYosan
11-08-2011, 06:03 PM
Well i know from playing a long time ago on holidays that we had some plastic balls, but the plastic balls have no grip at all. So the games can change a lot because celluloid has a layer on it that gives the grip on the ball. Makes it easier to put spin on the ball. Sure you can give spin to a slippery ball, but it's harder then the non-slippery ball.

However if the ball has good grip on the rubber, it will also has a good grip on the air.
Imparted by spin is easier for the ball, so does losing it. Interesting :)

dici
11-08-2011, 06:29 PM
Right now I just wondering if the ball is available now or not yet. Since I only left half dozen of TT balls. I was thinking instead of buying some more dozen of the current celluloid balls, and maybe had to change all them in the next year (if I ever go for any competition in US). I would just buy these new one to try :D

rhonis
11-08-2011, 06:33 PM
However if the ball has good grip on the rubber, it will also has a good grip on the air.
Imparted by spin is easier for the ball, so does losing it. Interesting :) Yes interesting :p, but does plastic have the same grip on the rubber as celluloid?

spin88
01-16-2012, 01:31 PM
If the ball gets any bigger than this I will quit ping pong....

YosuaYosan
01-16-2012, 02:01 PM
The ball is not getting any bigger. Well, maybe for some.
Right now the minimum ball size is 39.50mm whereas the new ball's minimum size is EXACTLY 40mm.

The poor grip of PVC makes it hard to brush loop, the arc of the ball is longer, the bounce is much more truer.
Less spin less speed.

Hmph this is not tennis..

Rhydian
01-16-2012, 05:01 PM
Oh no... Then, we should plan on which rubbers we could buy to make more spin in the balls than the others? :D
I hope it isn't too much change :S

WiWa
01-16-2012, 05:09 PM
Tacky Chinese rubbers could be the best for everyone with the new ball then?

YosuaYosan
01-16-2012, 05:37 PM
Tacky Chinese rubbers could be the best for everyone with the new ball then?

Particularly not so, WiWa.
People have tried it and it seems that the new ball works best with mechanical spin rather than topsheet spin (Euro/Jap rubbers). The PVC's surface friction is just sooo bad :(
Harder sponge makes it even harder to spin.

WiWa
01-16-2012, 06:06 PM
I see. But I assume that the companies working on the new ball should do some research on how to make it 'normal' a bit? You can't just take the spin out of the sport, that would be ridiculous. That's like replacing a basketball with a rubber cube.

azlan
01-16-2012, 06:34 PM
I think with the new ball, new rubbers will pop up soon. Just like the banning of speed glue.

YosuaYosan
01-16-2012, 06:49 PM
All I can hope now guys, that the ball is going to change from what it is now during development stage.

Here is some insight from some players who are lucky enough to try the new ball.
http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=42168&PID=544257&title=new-ball-to-be-introduced-after-london-olympics

Scroll to the middle of the page and you can see :)

Der_Echte
01-17-2012, 01:46 AM
Looks like less spin on average for newer plastic ball.

Adham is a bull****ter marketing type. Remember one American saying... You can't bull**** a bull****ter. They are a pro at that game. America has too many of them and many countries are like America in that respect. Bullcrap celluloid is banned. TT Forum (MyTT and About.com) Jay called this one out, then Adham had to restate his marketing blurb.

Adham is full of it, but TT needs leaders who are full of it and can bull**** coporations to cough up $$$ funding for events. That is the best thing ITTF leadership can do for the sport. With the recent developments in this respect, Adham is only beginning to earn his way as ITTF president after making many good and many BAD influences to the rules. (Hey, the president doesn't change the rules, the rules convention does, yet he can influence that quite a bit.

No one country has to abide by ANY of the ITTF rules and are free to make their own. The again, what country's natl association in their right mind will have a totally different set of rules and send players to ITTF events?

if Adham can suceed in the art of influencing and bull****ting companies to give more money to the sport, then he will automatically put in place more incentives and programs in countries other than China to excell at TT. Changing rules and equipment in a bad way is not the path, but he sure looks determined. Some things needed to change like hidden serves and 21 point game. Some rules need to be better written and better enforced. Some rules and equipment changes need not be done. (like banning frictionless and pissing off a million plus old, grumpy men) The ball is one of them, at least not until it can perform better. The rule allowing plastic was in place long ago, but the product to me does not yet seem up to par, based on what I read the pros who have tested it. If later, plastic can be made to result in a more evenly round ball, consistant bounce, and friction co-efficient, then plastic may be a good choice, but later.

Aussieron50
01-17-2012, 07:02 AM
I also use 3 star Nittaku balls and find the bounce to be good , there is no floating like with some of the balls used , I hope issues like floating and a good bounce is taken into consideration with the new balls being manufactured.....

igorponger
01-18-2012, 09:24 PM
Trial posting
Trial posting
Trial posting
Trial posting
Trial posting
Trial posting
Trial posting
Trial posting

timoboll64
01-25-2012, 11:25 AM
I will wait for the final decision but I was wondering is mr sharara a former table tennis player? Was he any good? Does he know what table tennis is about? He gives me the impression that he doesnt know much about the sport and just wants to end the chinese dominance in a wrong way.

How about more money for eureopean players to have the best practice there is and stop changing the game so much?

I understand what he is trying to do, but I think he forgets about the millions of other players who are not professional and are playing just for fun who has to adapt over and over again to all these changes.
It becomes more and more expensive aswell, but all pro's have sponsors but "normal" players dont have that.

Table tennis has become so expensive the last few years, I even spent more money on a blade and rubbers than I spent on my tennis racquet which has triple the size. I'm seriously thinking of finding a new sport and keep table tennis just as a hobby.

You are right! Sharara don't know what he do. And not only you will think about ending serious training after changing bolls.

Matt Hetherington
01-25-2012, 11:39 AM
Well whatever happens i'm not looking forward to change I think tt is just starting to make the right moves towards growth and this could be a step backwards

maddrag
02-23-2012, 04:58 PM
1- the change is more an ecologic reason.
2- It will be very nasty for people who buy robot as it will not fit the old robot
3- I think the ball should be more solid and will not used as fast as the last one as it will be made in one piece.
4- The flight should be better. Faster? I don't know as it will be bigger.
5- The rotation ? Less for the size, but bigger contact with the rubber so .... ?

Do you know what will be the color as I can't play with yellow ball ( eyesight problem) ?

For the peoples who claim that it is expensive. Be serious !!! Have you ever play golf or do skying...? One game of golf is about the same as one month of ping-pong. Ping-pong cost is about 1/10 of an annual membership and you playgolf only 5 months /year. You can often loose more than 3 golf ball in a game...

Honnestly, you don't have to change racket or rubber that so often. Maybe the elite one, a little bit more...

I noticed that this sport is often played by peoples who don't have to much money. Maybe that the real why ?

YosuaYosan
02-24-2012, 09:08 AM
Argh.. Probably my last view on the new ball is just that it will even the advantages and disadvantages of playing styles since there is less spin involved..

I hope I am right.. I hope..
But new rubbers will come along too.. Urk..

UpSideDownCarl
02-25-2012, 01:27 AM
It does seem foolish that they are trying to do this.

laurenz_marvin
03-28-2012, 01:04 AM
Hope it will last longer than the celluloid! ;)

UpSideDownCarl
03-28-2012, 05:14 AM
Hope it will last longer than the celluloid! ;)

If the prototype does not get anywhere near as much spin as the current ball it might not make a difference how long it lasts.

NTclub
03-30-2012, 07:22 AM
Japanese tabletennis magazine reported on March 29 that ITTF decided tennis ball changing to a plastic ball after July 1, 2014 after World championships Tokyo 2014.
Source: http://www.world-tt.com/report/20120325/WTTC2012.php

ars
04-03-2012, 10:14 PM
don't think the size is much different though, just probably because of the possible variability in the production process of non-seam balls they are just mentioning limits of variation ... about the rest we will only get to know when it comes to our hands .... but if this is again a nexus between ittf and companies to increase profit margins :( ... its a shame !!! ITTF just needs to concentrate on making the game more popular than how to make manufactures richer ! i totally agree...

ars
04-03-2012, 10:28 PM
this is a step backwards and business is the name of game

judah000
04-04-2012, 08:51 AM
As expected the PRICE will RISE!!!! :p

judah000
04-06-2012, 04:17 AM
I hope the new balls won't affect the game too much.

ttEDGE - William
04-06-2012, 07:21 PM
Here is a preview of the new plastic balls that Wang Liqin gave me in Dortmund last week.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tzo-PmL8IjA&feature=plcp&context=C40c3a6bVDvjVQa1PpcFMvhzLZLN6JdzSz7axD2GOl x8xIO0hr7g4%3D

WiWa
04-06-2012, 07:50 PM
Really interesting! Thanks for giving us an insight in the new ball William :) And thanks to WLQ of course, hehe. I hope they will be able to adjust the ball better to the characteristics of the current ball before the new ball is introduced. Looks like they randomly just drop from your bat here.

ars
04-06-2012, 09:53 PM
generally i seen less spin and ball looks heavier...it will affect greatly if you are a spinner...

judah000
04-07-2012, 06:04 AM
AHHH, So it be a big dis advantage to those who loads lot of spin in their strokes. :(

JustAlt
04-07-2012, 06:34 AM
Thanks a lot for that video William!
To judah000 and others speculating : It is too soon to make that big conclusions of what style will get destroyed and who will benefit from it. They still have two years to make the new ball better as the "release date" has been delayed to 2014.

NorthAyrshireTTC
04-21-2012, 08:39 PM
Can we buy them just now to try out?

Mitz
05-02-2012, 10:20 PM
Hi, I was in the Spanish Open (18th to 22th April) and I had the opportunity to see Jun Mizutani testing the new plastic ball... here you have the video (I think it's a cool stuff, because it was a curious situation, Mizutani was warming up when Samsonov launchs to him a ball and, surprise, it seems the ball is broke... but, no, is one of the new plastic balls...)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gtYZq9Y3Gx4

PS: The video is on HD :)

WiWa
05-03-2012, 07:48 AM
Hi, I was in the Spanish Open (18th to 22th April) and I had the opportunity to see Jun Mizutani testing the new plastic ball... here you have the video (I think it's a cool stuff, because it was a curious situation, Mizutani was warming up when Samsonov launchs to him a ball and, surprise, it seems the ball is broke... but, no, is one of the new plastic balls...)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gtYZq9Y3Gx4

PS: The video is on HD :)

I thought they seem to be able to play quite well with it. Untill I saw the service receive haha.

XuXin88
05-04-2012, 05:47 AM
It started with glue, let's hope for the best.

barca
05-04-2012, 05:21 PM
Well, there are always reasons why things keep on changing...Rite?????????????

zachkinjo
05-16-2012, 09:03 PM
nooooo balls are expensive as it is now. Well for good ones haha

pai2
05-17-2012, 03:20 AM
I hope, the ball is more durable and easy to control...

spin88
10-09-2012, 01:36 AM
So the new ball will not start till 2014?
I was still wondering when watching the recent Men Worldcup had they switched to new ball already...

YosuaYosan
10-09-2012, 03:23 AM
So the new ball will not start till 2014?
I was still wondering when watching the recent Men Worldcup had they switched to new ball already...

Yep not until 2014 or probably it will be delayed even further after the Rio Olympics but that's still unlikely.

ars
10-14-2012, 10:01 AM
thanks for the info

janetang
10-17-2012, 09:33 AM
I think it does not affect my TT practice in daily life. maybe after the new decision, the only change is my ball, which can not change my skill in TT.
I am just waiting.

Minisprince
12-29-2014, 09:23 AM
problem is this new ball cannot be seen AT ALL as an upgrading!!! It is a FAILURE...

Minisprince
12-29-2014, 09:28 AM
Great comment. However, those plastic balls are technically a joke! As much as rubbers,blades,and tables have improved over the years, those new balls are a failure (and I have given them a fair trial). They are good for table tennis sets for kids :)

Agree with you Carl on the part "fear of the unknown " . Also having been a student of Statistics and looking at the press release the new conformation parameters look like nothing more than a more precise description of the "tolerance limit" . Infact , just calling it 40 mm today does not mean that it does not have variability in size. Just that we are not able to make it out with our sense.If prices go high and the overall $/no of hits does not change or if it changes and makes up for the quality of the ball it is all good. However , the reason I put some dirt on the "motive" is because I love table tennis and believe it should be a more popular game than it is today. Normally a game becomes more democratic once you reduce the base price of the equipment else it will stay "elite" , the case in point being "tennis" ... ( think of less richer coutries than US ) . Soccer is the most popular because 1. it is cheap and 2. the quality of television coverage is good . I believe ITTF has a lot left to do in this regard yet , and has displayed a consistent lack of will .
Recent example , reflex media taking down highlight videos in youtube and the live transmission left a lot to be desired in terms of no. of camera and camera angles.

UpSideDownCarl
12-30-2014, 04:07 AM
They break way too easily and that part really does suck and shows they need to work on the quality of the production. Before the pros were playing with them I was definitely thinking this would be BAD in a big way for the game and the sport. In the first few tournaments with the plastic ball I saw a noticeable drop in the quality of pro level play. But, now, it seems like they are having better rallies and points and they are having more trouble ending the point.

Longer, better rallies are good for the game.

Defensive players who like to lob like Jun Mizutani are having more success and are able to play better because it is easier to return the power shots from other high ranked players.

Even though I do dislike how bad the quality and "durability" (if you can even call it that, more like breakability) of most of the Poly balls is, if it makes the quality of play in matches better and more enjoyable to watch then I am all for it.

I have been surprised to start seeing rallies, play and matches get more interesting. But it is actually starting to happen. So, perhaps there will be something good about this.

We shall see.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bobo
12-31-2014, 03:18 PM
They break way too easily and that part really does suck and shows they need to work on the quality of the production. Before the pros were playing with them I was definitely thinking this would be BAD in a big way for the game and the sport. In the first few tournaments with the plastic ball I saw a noticeable drop in the quality of pro level play. But, now, it seems like they are having better rallies and points and they are having more trouble ending the point.

Longer, better rallies are good for the game.

Defensive players who like to lob like Jun Mizutani are having more success and are able to play better because it is easier to return the power shots from other high ranked players.

Even though I do dislike how bad the quality and "durability" (if you can even call it that, more like breakability) of most of the Poly balls is, if it makes the quality of play in matches better and more enjoyable to watch then I am all for it.

I have been surprised to start seeing rallies, play and matches get more interesting. But it is actually starting to happen. So, perhaps there will be something good about this.

We shall see.

very good comment from you. When u watch the first matches with the plastic balls almost every player complained by the ref cause of the ball. But now its seems like they developed it to the Max, ok lets say not max but pretty high.