[BEGINNER] help needed with rubbers

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2015
Hi guys, I'm new to this website and also fairly new to ping pong. I used it to play ping pong with some friends, the style I preferred was the penhold style. Since not too long ago, I decided to join a TTC.

I plan on buying a blade and putting on the rubbers myself.

- Blade: Yasaka Ma Lin Extra Offensive
- FH Rubber:???
- BH Rubber:???

*I only use RPB for flicks, my whole playing style isn't dependent on it
*Playing style: Close to the table, FH loops

So basically looking for: beginner FH/BH rubbers for penhold that goes with the YEO (not too expensive!)

Thanks in advance!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2015
I've decided on FH: Tenergy 05 fx
BH: Friendship/729 focus 3 snipe
is it any good?

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2013
I've decided on FH: Tenergy 05 fx
BH: Friendship/729 focus 3 snipe
is it any good?

What about Mark V? it's one of the best rubbers for beginners. It's soft, has a high throw (relatively) and at the momentit it's on discount (PM for the adress). I would stick with the Friendship Snipe, great value for themoney. TheTenergy 05 is a rubbert That pro's use so very expensive and just slightly better than your regular Calibra or Rhyzm. Hope this helps and guys correct me if I'm wrong!

This user has no status.
If there was a penhold Verson of the stiga all round Classic I would go with that, was my first setup with hexer power sponge in 1.9mm both sides! Using this blade for a muck around defensive set up now because of it's amazing control, mark v is good.. If you have any friends that have custom setups and play, try those first and see what your limits are with other equipment then make a decision. HOpe this helps. :)

Hi if I'm being honest here I wouldn't get T05 yet, this is because it is a rubber is for more experienced players and can stop you from developing when you are ready to move up to quicker rubbers. I personally don't think T05 is good for penhold due to the high throw T64 is better.
Also the YEO blade is pretty quick so pairing it with a fast rubber is going to make you make a lot of false errors due to you not being able to control it.

The rubbers I would go for on FH are - Mark V, DHS hurricane Neo 2, Friendship 729 Faster, Donic Acuda S2, Butterfly Sriver.

For the backhand you want a softer rubber so you have more dwell on your flicks to get that extra spin and most importantly control a few examples
of these are - Donic Bluefire M3, Donic Acuda S3, Joola Energy 325, Xiom Vega Europe.

If you don't want to pay top price for any of the rubbers/blades have a look on www.ttnpp.com they are 100% genuine with great savings, all DHS products come with serial codes for authentication and delivery usually is two weeks.

Hope this helps you and good luck :)

says Visited my own profile, woop woop. ;)
says Visited my own profile, woop woop. ;)
Nov 2014
Read 6 reviews
Hi if I'm being honest here I wouldn't get T05 yet, this is because it is a rubber is for more experienced players and can stop you from developing when you are ready to move up to quicker rubbers. I personally don't think T05 is good for penhold due to the high throw T64 is better.
Also the YEO blade is pretty quick so pairing it with a fast rubber is going to make you make a lot of false errors due to you not being able to control it.

The rubbers I would go for on FH are - Mark V, DHS hurricane Neo 2, Friendship 729 Faster, Donic Acuda S2, Butterfly Sriver.

For the backhand you want a softer rubber so you have more dwell on your flicks to get that extra spin and most importantly control a few examples
of these are - Donic Bluefire M3, Donic Acuda S3, Joola Energy 325, Xiom Vega Europe.

If you don't want to pay top price for any of the rubbers/blades have a look on www.ttnpp.com they are 100% genuine with great savings, all DHS products come with serial codes for authentication and delivery usually is two weeks.

Hope this helps you and good luck :)

I'd +1 this.
Just would like to recomend Bluefire Jp 03 instead of M3 if you concider bluefire. It's the best bh rubber I ever played with and compatible with most blades.
It would do great on fh too, considering you're a beginner. but it's up to you ofc.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2013
Good comments..
Tenergy are not for beginners.
Get a coach that would guide you properly.
you will need a slow blade and slow rubbers, soft for bh and med to med hard on fh. Since they touched markV already you can start with that on your fh and markV soft on bh

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2015
Thanks for the replies everyone! I guess I'll try the Mark V on FH, not quite sure on the BH yet. Also no one is able to teach me the penhold since everyone plays shakehand at my club :s

Question: What thickness is best? 1.8,2.0 or MAX?

Last edited:
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
I think a lot of penhold players do use the Yasaka Ma Lin Extra Offensive but I am not so sure that it is not a great blade for starting. It is pretty hard and unforgiving. Pretty fast. To start out I would get a Stiga Allround Evolution in Penhold grip: they do make that.

I would also get something a little different than Mark V. Mark V is actually okay. Tenergy would be too much. Something half way between those might be just right for where you are at. Something like Xiom Vega Pro. It has a lot of control and is still using the technology of the newer rubbers so your next upgrade in rubbers won't be as much of a jump. That will go really well with the Stiga Allround Evolution.

Also, it would not be a bad idea to get something sort of similar for the BH side like Xiom Omega Europe. Then, when the FH rubber is worn, you can turn it around and just use the other rubber as FH since you only use BH a little.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2015
I think a lot of penhold players do use the Yasaka Ma Lin Extra Offensive but I am not so sure that it is not a great blade for starting. It is pretty hard and unforgiving. Pretty fast. To start out I would get a Stiga Allround Evolution in Penhold grip: they do make that.

I would also get something a little different than Mark V. Mark V is actually okay. Tenergy would be too much. Something half way between those might be just right for where you are at. Something like Xiom Vega Pro. It has a lot of control and is still using the technology of the newer rubbers so your next upgrade in rubbers won't be as much of a jump. That will go really well with the Stiga Allround Evolution.

Also, it would not be a bad idea to get something sort of similar for the BH side like Xiom Omega Europe. Then, when the FH rubber is worn, you can turn it around and just use the other rubber as FH since you only use BH a little.

Thanks for your comment! Would it be okay to stick with the YEO and use Xiom mega Pro for FH and Donic Bluefire Jp 03 for BH? Also, what would be the best sponge thickness for both rubbers?

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Thanks for your comment! Would it be okay to stick with the YEO and use Xiom mega Pro for FH and Donic Bluefire Jp 03 for BH? Also, what would be the best sponge thickness for both rubbers?

You could. But the reason I recommended something different is that that blade is hard to control for someone who is not decently advanced. The surface of the blade is hard which means your touch needs to be very precise. And the blade is very fast which also means you need to be very precise.

A Stiga Allround Evolution is usually listed as having an All+ speed rating. But that is sort of inaccurate. It really has an Off- speed rating. But it has so much control that it is much easier to use than most Off- blades. It is more than fast enough. But the top ply is soft so it has a lot of dwell time and good feeling to help your skills progress.

If you did get the Ma Ling Extra Offensive, then you probably should get the Mark V. :)

In the end, you can really get whatever you want. It is just figuring out what would be best for you. I think JP 03 is good rubber so I am sure it would be fine in some sense. But it may be that you are making the same mistake again as where you started. This rubber is in the same category as Tenergy in terms of speed, spin, control and sensitivity to incoming spin. If you can't handle it, you would be wasting $55.00 (USD).

So, Ma Lin Extra with Tenergy and JP 03 would be making the same mistake 3x. There will be a point where you grow into that. But at the top it says you are a beginner. If that is the case, perhaps you really should just get this:

Stiga Allround Classic Penhold
Mark V
Mark V soft

That is actually a setup for someone who has only been playing at club level for a few months.

A slight step up but an intelligent step up would be:

Stiga Allround Evolution Penhold
Xiom Vega Pro
Xiom Vega Europe

Too fast, to much speed, catapult, sensitivity to incoming spin, not enough control:

Ma Lin Extra Offensive
Tenergy

I believe that the Donic Bluefire rubbers are in that same category.

In the end, if you get it, you will get used to it over time. It just might make it harder for you to learn for the first 9 months or so.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Oh, and thickness.

I always like the thickest rubber possible because my game is to spin the ball as much as possible. Thicker rubber works better for looping. Thinner rubber gives you more control and is better for hitting or when your loop is not as solid.

Reactions: The Penhold
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2015
Oh, and thickness.

I always like the thickest rubber possible because my game is to spin the ball as much as possible. Thicker rubber works better for looping. Thinner rubber gives you more control and is better for hitting or when your loop is not as solid.
Wow great responses, I would give you a +1 if I knew how to, haha. I don't have alot of money so I'd like to stick to one blade, a blade I don't outgrow too fast. If I take MAX rubbers on both sides, won't my bat become too heavy?

*I can't find Stiga Allround Evolution Penhold in the shop I'm using, So is YEO with Xiom any good?

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
OMG. I just wrote you this long detailed response and it disappeared. :)

First, there should be a like button at the bottom of each post. It is okay to use it. Hahahaha.

Post a link of the place you were planning to buy from and I will see if there is something that may be better for you.

If they have a Stiga Offensive Classic Penhold that might be worth it. The inner plies are similar to YEO but the top ply is softer.

2nd, the Stiga Allround Evolution is a blade I could use for the rest of my playing time and never grow out of. I like changing up my blades to try new things. But I will never NEED more than an Allround Evolution.

Extra weight: I can hold a tennis racket. :) The blade I use weighs 87 grams. The rubbers are on the heavy side. But I have used a blade that was 120 grams and totally fine. Your setup will not be too heavy with 1/10th of a gram more weight from a slightly thicker sponge.

In the end, you choose the thickness for what will be best for you. Do you loop? Do you hit more? The weight difference between 1.9 and 2.1 will be pretty much unnoticeable.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2015
OMG. I just wrote you this long detailed response and it disappeared. :)

First, there should be a like button at the bottom of each post. It is okay to use it. Hahahaha.

Post a link of the place you were planning to buy from and I will see if there is something that may be better for you.

If they have a Stiga Offensive Classic Penhold that might be worth it. The inner plies are similar to YEO but the top ply is softer.

2nd, the Stiga Allround Evolution is a blade I could use for the rest of my playing time and never grow out of. I like changing up my blades to try new things. But I will never NEED more than an Allround Evolution.

Extra weight: I can hold a tennis racket. :) The blade I use weighs 87 grams. The rubbers are on the heavy side. But I have used a blade that was 120 grams and totally fine. Your setup will not be too heavy with 1/10th of a gram more weight from a slightly thicker sponge.

In the end, you choose the thickness for what will be best for you. Do you loop? Do you hit more? The weight difference between 1.9 and 2.1 will be pretty much unnoticeable.

This is the website I'm using : http://ttnpp.com/store/
I tend to loop more I think, still trying to find my ideal playstyle

Found the like button btw!

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Found the like button btw!

Haha. I knew you would. :)

I will have a look. But if you tend towards looping, don't change that. Looping is much safer and at higher levels more powerful. As levels go higher and higher there are more loopers and less of everything else.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Okay, here are three good options for the blade:

This one is Yasaka Extra rather than the Ma Lin Extra Offensive. This one would be good. This one may be the best of the options.

http://ttnpp.com/store/yasaka/422-yasaka-extra-ye-malin-weapon-7.html

Avalox Blue Thunder 555. This one is pretty good too.

http://ttnpp.com/store/avalox/692-avalox-blue-thunder-bt-555-7.html#/handle-chinese_penhold

This is a DHS PG7. It is the fastest one and may not be right for you. But it is also the least expensive and it is darn good. :)

http://ttnpp.com/store/dhs/558-dhs-pg-7-powerg-7-7.html

Any of these would be good. But the Yasaka Extra should really be perfect for you.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2015
Okay, here are three good options for the blade:

This one is Yasaka Extra rather than the Ma Lin Extra Offensive. This one would be good. This one may be the best of the options.

http://ttnpp.com/store/yasaka/422-yasaka-extra-ye-malin-weapon-7.html

Avalox Blue Thunder 555. This one is pretty good too.

http://ttnpp.com/store/avalox/692-avalox-blue-thunder-bt-555-7.html#/handle-chinese_penhold

This is a DHS PG7. It is the fastest one and may not be right for you. But it is also the least expensive and it is darn good. :)

http://ttnpp.com/store/dhs/558-dhs-pg-7-powerg-7-7.html

Any of these would be good. But the Yasaka Extra should really be perfect for you.
Wow the Yasaka Extra is a great recommendation, the YEO might be too fast for a beginner like me after all!
Alright I'm going with the Mark V FH and Friendship 729 Focus 3 BH + Yasaka Extra, is that a good combo? Or should I switch out the rubbers[h=1][/h]