Kevin Korb's Tibhar Actium Review

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2013
Read 6 reviews
Nice review Kevin. Since the day I have received Actium, my feelings for it started to grow stronger :). Even while at practice session when I play with my ALC, but I keep missing the Actium. I know as an offensive player I cannot afford to go that slow at backhand.

Hey here is a food for thought:

If the same ply(Acacia) that was used in the forehand of Actium could be used at the backhand and making the head size to 160 - 153 mm, it can be a wonderful offensive + or offensive -.

I request @Der_echte, @Kevin, @mahomedy and @Owange and all those who played with Actium or are sponsored by Nexy to put their thinking caps on.

Cheers,
Rajd.

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Nexy has three new Offensive blades in their pipeline. Nexy Korea President Moon, U. B. goes on several TT foums himself (usually myTT and OOAK) and makes diary posts about what he is doing (and why)

One of the blades is a new All-Wood blade with better top end power.

One of the blades is a new composite blade with burned wood that is real powerful.

The other blade is designed with the thought of making it the FASTEST blade in the world. (but President Moon made it clear that it will be fast, and still capable of making high quality topspin, so it prolly wont be the absolute fastest thing)

The goal of Actium was to make a Dual Impact blade capable of playing basic defense, then suddenly go on attack with enough pace and a lot of spin. Actium achieved that pretty well. As an Offensive player, I could be successful using it, even if it is OFF- in speed on top end. With a certain rubber on an ALL+ blade top end gear that is pretty damned high (Think a flexy heavyish 5 play ALL+ blade with Rasant) Although I sent my Actium straight away to the CEO of Nexy USA, (Heck, he is among the top 5 in our nation of amature modern defensive players) I feel I could do very well using such a blade. My BH has pace no mater what blade or inverted rubber I use and the soft BH defense is something I do with hand pressure on my setups.

India is a huge potential market for Nexy Korea (Nexy USA can only work the USA market) and there are many players. A lot of them are interested in new stuff no one else has, so the potential is there for President Moon to design something for the India market that appeals to them while still fresh and new for the rest of the international market.

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
... I known as an offensive player I cannot afford to go that slow at backhand...

Cheers,
Rajd.

Hey radj, even with my favored transition blade, the ALL+ 896 (and the only medium average slow pace of XP 2008) I use when I am in between using main blades, I can get a boatload of speed on my BH wing to finish points with a BH sash or a very fast loopkill. Carl and PP Holic are two forum memebrs who have seen this in person... and I am only an amature 2-3 levels above average player, not elite by any measure, yet I have a BH rocket shot when I decide to let it go.

You can do it too with Actium and not miss anything, heck, you might gain control, that is what I value on BH wing, a medium control rubber to allow me to use my hard BH and still land it. Yeah, I can use a fast rubber like Calibra LT and still land it, but my consistency using XP 2008 is very good and it is only $8 a sheet. maybe when I tryout Demian II+ I will change my mind, but you get my point.

It is entirely possible to have a slower blade and rubber and still hit hard, especially on BH wing. it is all about position, balance, timing, and final wrist snap accellerated by your momentum from body. Once you ge that down, you can have a mean BH shot with just about anything you slap on your bat and you do not have to be anywhere close to being a top amature to do that on BH wing.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2013
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2013
Hey radj, even with my favored transition blade, the ALL+ 896 (and the only medium average slow pace of XP 2008) I use when I am in between using main blades, I can get a boatload of speed on my BH wing to finish points with a BH sash or a very fast loopkill. Carl and PP Holic are two forum memebrs who have seen this in person... and I am only an amature 2-3 levels above average player, not elite by any measure, yet I have a BH rocket shot when I decide to let it go.

You can do it too with Actium and not miss anything, heck, you might gain control, that is what I value on BH wing, a medium control rubber to allow me to use my hard BH and still land it. Yeah, I can use a fast rubber like Calibra LT and still land it, but my consistency using XP 2008 is very good and it is only $8 a sheet. maybe when I tryout Demian II+ I will change my mind, but you get my point.

It is entirely possible to have a slower blade and rubber and still hit hard, especially on BH wing. it is all about position, balance, timing, and final wrist snap accellerated by your momentum from body. Once you ge that down, you can have a mean BH shot with just about anything you slap on your bat and you do not have to be anywhere close to being a top amature to do that on BH wing.

There is definite backhand attack potential with the Actium. I tested the blade with Xiom Sigma I Pro on the forehand, and Xiom Omega IV Asia on the backhand. It may not be second nature to you as a player, but you have to remember the potential for twiddling with the Actium blade. When I played with the Actium, I had a well controlled, fairly fast backhand loop with the defensive side, or a slower and higher looping backhand loop with the defensive side with a slightly modified swing (more focus on wrist flip over arm swing). But, with the Actium, I was also able to twiddle the offensive side to my backhand and use the offensive side for an extremely powerful (often point-winning) backhand loop/smash.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2013
Nexy has three new Offensive blades in their pipeline. Nexy Korea President Moon, U. B. goes on several TT foums himself (usually myTT and OOAK) and makes diary posts about what he is doing (and why)

One of the blades is a new All-Wood blade with better top end power.

One of the blades is a new composite blade with burned wood that is real powerful.

The other blade is designed with the thought of making it the FASTEST blade in the world. (but President Moon made it clear that it will be fast, and still capable of making high quality topspin, so it prolly wont be the absolute fastest thing)

The goal of Actium was to make a Dual Impact blade capable of playing basic defense, then suddenly go on attack with enough pace and a lot of spin. Actium achieved that pretty well. As an Offensive player, I could be successful using it, even if it is OFF- in speed on top end. With a certain rubber on an ALL+ blade top end gear that is pretty damned high (Think a flexy heavyish 5 play ALL+ blade with Rasant) Although I sent my Actium straight away to the CEO of Nexy USA, (Heck, he is among the top 5 in our nation of amature modern defensive players) I feel I could do very well using such a blade. My BH has pace no mater what blade or inverted rubber I use and the soft BH defense is something I do with hand pressure on my setups.

India is a huge potential market for Nexy Korea (Nexy USA can only work the USA market) and there are many players. A lot of them are interested in new stuff no one else has, so the potential is there for President Moon to design something for the India market that appeals to them while still fresh and new for the rest of the international market.

I agree as well. Innovation is incredibly important in the table tennis market, and Nexy is doing a good job at this (This is a major factor as to why I am such a huge Xiom fan). Innovation creates the next new thing with the potential to revolutionize an aspect of the game -- like the Actium may -- and appeals to the equipment junkies who always have to get their hands on the next new great thing. Overall, both factors fuel innovation. It's a cycle where one drives the other, and so long as people strive to challenge the standard this demand will exist.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews

When Der_Echte and I went to a Korean club in Flushing Queens NY, we ran into a friend of mine who is 1950 USATT rated and a solid player. When he played Der_Echte, Der_Echte was using a Galaxy 896 blade (All+ rating) with Dawei XP2008 rubber ($8.00 rubber) and my friend said, in the middle of a match, to me, off on the side: "I just can't let the ball go anywhere near his backhand. His backhand is too good." He can blaze the ball without high end equipment. If your technique is good, you can too.