In your opinion, what Polyball is closest into playing like a Celluloid ball?

This user has no status.
What brand of polyball have you guys encountered that almost plays like a celluloid ball?

and a followup question:
what type of rubber/blade combination goes best with it?

ive been using double fish
and the feel is a bit too mush for me when i use:
T88-1 FH
T80FX BH

on a custom wood blade with a soft feel (Anigre-soft carbon- Walnut - balsa - walnut - SC - Anigre)

This user has no status.
People at my club are playing with the nittaku *** premium sha 40+. I have the nittaku *** 40+ (not the premium) that is still better than most low quality *** balls (including the stiga *** readily available.) Before the switch to the nittaku premium polyball, the people at my club felt the nittaku premium *** celluloid was arguably the best. I do not have much experience with the premium polys from nittaku. Has anyone played with these?

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
To me the Nittaku Premium 40+ plays better than everything else. I don't know if it is very durable but the one match I played with one, it did not break and almost every match I play the other seamed balls seem to break somewhere in the match.

I think the seamless balls feel almost as good as the Nittaku Premium balls but not quite as good. But I am pretty sure that the seamless balls last longer than ALL of the seamed balls. So the seamless are definitely the best combination of play quality and durability by far. I am pretty confident that the seamless balls are much much more durable than the Nittaku Premium.

I do believe that all the 3 star seamless balls, regardless of the brand listed on the ball, were actually made by Xushaofa. So, whichever brand of seamless ball (Xushaofa, Stag, Yinhe, Nexy) they should all play pretty much the same. So if one of those is less expensive than the others for a 3 star seamless poly ball, that is the one I would want to use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
I've used all the balls for quite a few months and UpSideDownCarl's experience is mine as well. We differ on whether the NP40+ plays better than the XSF ball, but that is neither here nor there. I prefer the bounce height of the XSF.

Well, I liked the Nittaku Premium 40+ better based on only one match. To me it felt better. But I would not buy them. And only one match is not enough to really tell.

I think what Tony says about the durability of all the seamed balls is 100% true. Until they figure out how to make the seamed balls so that they don't break anywhere near as easily or give up and just make seamless ones, there is no point. In the past few months, if I played a match with a seamed ball, it broke somewhere in the match. That happened in every match except for 4 or 5 matches. That is terrible. They break so easily it is a joke. Whereas the seamless balls play decently and are much more durable.

But since the question was, which Poly ball plays the closest to the Celluloid ball, to me the Nittaku felt the closest to the celluloid ball and it also, to me, based on only one match, felt the best. But not by much.

The Nittaku Sha, that one is not really that good.

Last edited:
Reactions: fais

JHB

says Aged and infirm of purpose
Those of us in the UK might like to note that Bribar are offering the Xushaofa balls for sale as of today, and that Tees Sport have been offering the Stag balls for about a month. The Butterfly 40+ balls (seamed) are now also available from Tees, as of yesterday I believe. As these latter are made in China they could in theory be as naff as the Tibhar and Joola offerings, however I have read unexpectedly good reports on other sites from people who managed to get hold of some pre-production samples so I'd be interested to hear some opinions here once a few of us have acquired some of Butterfly's production balls.

Still no news on Nittaku Premium 40+ in the UK of course. Or anywhere much else for that matter !

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2014
What I've found with other brands (e.g. Chinese Nittaku SHA 40+ and the 3* DHS) isn't so much that they're bad per se, but that they're *really*inconsistent. I'll get about 20-30% of them that are actually pretty round. The others are wobbly like wiffle balls and take a bounce that's like a random number generator.

The Japanese Nittaku gave me renewed hope that the game wouldn't be ruined. I played a tournament with them last week, and they're so good that I almost like them more than the celluloid ball. Not as spinny, but very predictable bounce and trajectory. They're much more lively than other 40+ balls too. I also noticed that they seem to be made from a material entirely different from other 40+ balls on the market. Hopefully the technology will improve.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
What I've found with other brands (e.g. Chinese Nittaku SHA 40+ and the 3* DHS) isn't so much that they're bad per se, but that they're *really*inconsistent. I'll get about 20-30% of them that are actually pretty round. The others are wobbly like wiffle balls and take a bounce that's like a random number generator.

The Japanese Nittaku gave me renewed hope that the game wouldn't be ruined. I played a tournament with them last week, and they're so good that I almost like them more than the celluloid ball. Not as spinny, but very predictable bounce and trajectory. They're much more lively than other 40+ balls too. I also noticed that they seem to be made from a material entirely different from other 40+ balls on the market. Hopefully the technology will improve.

Part of the problem is that the poor durability of the balls is not just about the rate at which they crack. They also start to wobble if hit hard enough. That for me is the biggest reason why the Chinese seamed balls (DHS, DFish and their many clones like Joola, TSP) need to just be fixed or eradicated.

IF you like the Nittaku Japan 40+, try the seamless ball as well. It bounces a bit higher and as consistently and is much cheaper. Some people (like myself) prefer it to the celluloid ball, but even if you don't, it is better than the seamed Chinese balls by many miles and FAR more durable (probably the most durable TT ball ever).

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2014
Read 12 reviews
i have the opportunity to test the nexy 40+ poly ball,as nexy sent it to me.i have not played with it,but have compared it with a cell ball.
It is seamless,round.bouncing compared to a cell ball resulted in the poly ball bouncing higher and more bounces before coming to rest.
After i play with it,i will update.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2014
Read 6 reviews
i have the opportunity to test the nexy 40+ poly ball,as nexy sent it to me.i have not played with it,but have compared it with a cell ball.
It is seamless,round.bouncing compared to a cell ball resulted in the poly ball bouncing higher and more bounces before coming to rest.
After i play with it,i will update.

I believe it will play like the XSF because it is made in the same factory. I plan to order some myself