Do I need to tune my rubber?

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
What a first post. Usually we get people come on and say hello or something. :)

OP cuts right to the chase.

To tune... or NOT to tune.

If the question is "Do I NEED to?"... (in order to make it playable)... then the answer is you will know once you play the sport long enough or well enough. If one is at that level of needing to ask that question, then that player likely needs a lot more time training and playing to get to a basic level.

If the question is "Does tuning such and such rubber make it do such and such?" then one should just get an old rubber and play Tuna fish with it and just learn.

If the question is "How much tuner does it take to make the Fish Overdose?" then look at the sentence above.

If someone spends all that hard cash on a USD $400 setup and asks such a question, then maybe they can afford to buy some tuner and try themselves.

I am not fundamentally against expensive equipment, heck, our company sells expensive stuff too, it is just that a player looks for a certain unique property and something no one else does for that money. I personally have succeeded using both dirt cheap and very expensive equipment.

Don't be afraid to try stuff out yourself, take a lot of pics of it and post threads about it, that is what we do on TT forums like the fools we are, William the Fool is leading the way. :)

Reactions: anchorschmidt
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Woe! JM Super ZLC! Hurricane and Bluefire. Done robbed a bank.

Do you know how to boost the H3? Have you done it before?

I personally stopped using H3 because I got tired of boosting it and I was wearing it out every 3 weeks with dead spots where I contact.

Have you used H3 before?

I would take Der_Echte's advice, if you haven't boosted many times before, use an old rubber to test and practice on. Try the blade how it is. If it really needs boosting and you aren't 100% confident in doing it yourself, have someone who knows how to, do it for you.

But if you hit with it there is a high probability that you won't need to boost it. And you will know if you do based on how it feels.

Reactions: Der_Echte
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Don't let the TT mafia know you got a "National" sheet, they are jealous about that and sometimes send out goon squads to take you down. Some big name company sent one after Carl for an unauthorized use of a "Pro" version of their rubber and he had to build some traps not seen since the debut of the James Bond series of movies. He is actually working on the next one right now, and it is gunna be a doozie.

For real though, you prolly got some old rubber laying around, or you can get a discarded on or two at a club for the price of an Ale so you can try out the tuning thing and see what all the fuss is about. A bottle of Parrifin oil is reasonable inexpensive, so there isn't a lot of money involved, unless you mistake it for Ur Ale, then it could get ugly.