buying a camera

This user has no status.
hi guys
i wanted to ask this comunity about their oppinions/remarks on my game, but that's quite hard when i've got nothing to show them. therefor i'm thinking of buying a camera (and tri-pod), but as i don't know much about the subject, i'm asking your help. does anybody know a good camera that's not horrificaly expensive, one that obviously works wel with fast motions of a table tennis ball.
greetz

This user has no status.
Well, most modern or recent cameras are good and have high quality video recording [i think minimum is Full HD], so you can't go wrong with any model, i am a Canon shooter even i have another brands [Sony, Hasselblad, ....etc].

I like Sony A7r because it is a smaller camera, mirrorless, and it is higher quality than Canon cameras due to mp [not better in ISO or AF focus], there are another models too such as Fuji and Samsung and Olympus, also i can recommend one of those Canon or Nikon P&S, really it is hard to go wrong with any model.

Tell us your initial or budget range so we can recommend you something good and reasonable price, but don't forget to go with camera that have video recording which i guess difficult you can find one nowadays without video anyway, but if you go with very cheap means you will lose many features that will help you in your games recording.

Tripod is another story, i am always or everyday in Photography sites/forums and topics about tripods, bags, accessories never end and it is always a matter of money.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2014
Read 1 reviews
hi guys
i wanted to ask this comunity about their oppinions/remarks on my game, but that's quite hard when i've got nothing to show them. therefor i'm thinking of buying a camera (and tri-pod), but as i don't know much about the subject, i'm asking your help. does anybody know a good camera that's not horrificaly expensive, one that obviously works wel with fast motions of a table tennis ball.
greetz

Well, any camera will do. What's your budget? The sony a5000 is a great camera for the price($500).

a7r I think is too expensive for him "not horribly expensive."

This user has no status.
Well, any camera will do. What's your budget? The sony a5000 is a great camera for the price($500).

I was talking about myself liking it, but didn't said he must or should buy it, but any mirrorless will be good, and there are several cheap or reasonable prices and doing better job than A7r itself in video or high ISO.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
Well, most modern or recent cameras are good and have high quality video recording [i think minimum is Full HD], so you can't go wrong with any model, i am a Canon shooter even i have another brands [Sony, Hasselblad, ....etc].

I like Sony A7r because it is a smaller camera, mirrorless, and it is higher quality than Canon cameras due to mp [not better in ISO or AF focus], there are another models too such as Fuji and Samsung and Olympus, also i can recommend one of those Canon or Nikon P&S, really it is hard to go wrong with any model.

Tell us your initial or budget range so we can recommend you something good and reasonable price, but don't forget to go with camera that have video recording which i guess difficult you can find one nowadays without video anyway, but if you go with very cheap means you will lose many features that will help you in your games recording.

Tripod is another story, i am always or everyday in Photography sites/forums and topics about tripods, bags, accessories never end and it is always a matter of money.

thanks for the info, yeah i maybe should have said something about my budget, it would have to be under €500 as i am a student and i don't make money yet. preferably even around €250 (or lower, i'm not gonna complain :p ), but i don't know if the quality will be sufficient at that point

This user has no status.
At that budget it is difficult to go with brand new good camera, but i can recommend you those nearly your budget brand new:

Sony A6000
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX100
Canon PowerShot G7 X

Go to youtube and watch videos that are taken or recorded by one of those 3 above cameras i mentioned and see if you think the quality is good for you and if you can see videos where speed and actions are shown, this is a better way so you don't regret if you buy it.
thanks man, i'll sure check those out

JHB

says Aged and infirm of purpose
Remember that when it comes to taking stills of table tennis ( as opposed to video ) then the lighting becomes a major challenge. There is a reason why guys like Michael Loveder and John Upham use professional cameras for this ! If you want to take stills then you need a camera that produces usable results at e.g. ISO 8000, especially if you're going to shoot JPEGs.

This user has no status.
Remember that when it comes to taking stills of table tennis ( as opposed to video ) then the lighting becomes a major challenge. There is a reason why guys like Michael Loveder and John Upham use professional cameras for this ! If you want to take stills then you need a camera that produces usable results at e.g. ISO 8000, especially if you're going to shoot JPEGs.
that's good to know, but it's quite specific for taking video's, taking photo's may be optional, but certainly not neccesary

This user has no status.

If this is the case, then the 2 cheap cameras i recommend him to get are:

Canon 7D MarkII [A rival to 1DX or 1D4 from what i hear]
Canon 6D [not fast or sporty camera, but its high ISO capability is very good, and the focus not that bad]

I have 1D3 and 1D2n and 1DX, and believe it or not, each has pros and cons, but 1DX is king for me now but it is way way out of your budget.

This user has no status.
that's good to know, but it's quite specific for taking video's, taking photo's may be optional, but certainly not neccesary

Most recent cameras nowadays are designed for better great still photograph, but about video i don't see it that much improvements, mostly Full HD [1920x1080] or 4K on few new models, so video capability is not a problem with most of the cameras, but if he want to have both world, then i recommend him to think about a great still photography camera too that will help him for anything else rather than video.

This user has no status.
Most recent cameras nowadays are designed for better great still photograph, but about video i don't see it that much improvements, mostly Full HD [1920x1080] or 4K on few new models, so video capability is not a problem with most of the cameras, but if he want to have both world, then i recommend him to think about a great still photography camera too that will help him for anything else rather than video.
i have an (albeit old) camera for stills, got it for my 18th birthday, so at this point it's about 5 years old, it still uses an analog roll :p so i only need a good video camera, i'm gonna look into some of your earlier suggestions when i got time

This user has no status.
i have an (albeit old) camera for stills, got it for my 18th birthday, so at this point it's about 5 years old, it still uses an analog roll :p so i only need a good video camera, i'm gonna look into some of your earlier suggestions when i got time

Good, and those cams i recommended are very good for stills too, so don't worry, you will be happy -hope so- for both.

Good luck!!!

JHB

says Aged and infirm of purpose
If this is the case, then the 2 cheap cameras i recommend him to get are:

Canon 7D MarkII [A rival to 1DX or 1D4 from what i hear]
Canon 6D [not fast or sporty camera, but its high ISO capability is very good, and the focus not that bad]

I have 1D3 and 1D2n and 1DX, and believe it or not, each has pros and cons, but 1DX is king for me now but it is way way out of your budget.

7DII and 6D cheap cameras ?? Well they are compared to the 1 Series, lol ! In the UK 7DII is around £1500 and 6D is around £1200, and therefore more in Euros - both somewhat above sa1ko's budget.

If i can ever afford to replace my 30D then a 7DII it will be. Very hard now that I am retired though, I might be forced back to my OM-1........

This user has no status.
7DII and 6D cheap cameras ?? Well they are compared to the 1 Series, lol ! In the UK 7DII is around £1500 and 6D is around £1200, and therefore more in Euros - both somewhat above sa1ko's budget.

If i can ever afford to replace my 30D then a 7DII it will be. Very hard now that I am retired though, I might be forced back to my OM-1........

Cheap according to their level compared to another Canon bodies, look at just only 5D MKIII, it is almost double the price of 7D MarkII or 6D if not exact double, but if you talk about 1 series, i think even the cheapest one is almost double the price of 5D MKIII itself, so those 7DII or 6D are way way cheaper than any of 1 series body, and for their features or performances, their prices will put them at cheap affordable powerful bodies, in fact to give that 7DII rivalry to 1DX alone is worthy every penny, in fact i am also thinking to bye bye my 1D2n and 1D3 in favor to get 7DII to be a backup for my 1DX.

Well, after all, if those DSLRs are still way beyond the budget then there is always cheaper options, but we can't make so cheap camera to compete or rival or beat something higher if it is not high itself, 7DII they said it is rival to 1DX, but from many forums i am in, if they have the budget they will go with 1DX, 7DII ISO and crop-ability and maybe new technology of great AF gave it that glory, something else i don't see it any compare to 1DX.

At the end, OP is looking for a video camera, so i was thinking why not going with camcorder then rather than those still cameras which has video ability as bonus feature, if i want strong in video then i will think instantly about camcorder or dedicated video cameras, and many of them are in the range of affordable price.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
I think OP just want to have video of himself and sharing with forum members for "coaching" purposes.

Sa1ko
IMO - your cellphone camera is good enough for this.
Or any "cheap" digital camera which supports video mode.

You don't need to spend so much money, rather use that money to get proper coaching.
So my advice - maybe see what camera you have already.

PS, i have club mates who made a "holder for cellphone" and he would put it on a table or some sort and record videos like that.
Cost - close to zero.

you can visit my youtube channel - and see my training videos. Those are using cheap camera or using HD mode - but converted to lower quality for the sake of "slow internet" in South Africa.
www.youtube.com/tonystabletennis

Remember - you want to focus on TT and not focus on your recording, so make sure your objective remains the same, and not waste time and money on a subject outside of your main goal.
So just get an camcorder (usd100 - 200), get a tripod that is suitable for that and you are done. Don't even waste your time on the 1000 pound cameras that is even mentioned above. You are not needing your recording to be professional broadcasted

word of advice to look out for:
- the number of hours you require for your recording - video size + battery
- some cheaper cameras don't allow for long periods of video recording

Last edited:
This user has no status.
I think OP just want to have video of himself and sharing with forum members for "coaching" purposes.

Sa1ko
IMO - your cellphone camera is good enough for this.
Or any "cheap" digital camera which supports video mode.

You don't need to spend so much money, rather use that money to get proper coaching.
So my advice - maybe see what camera you have already.

PS, i have club mates who made a "holder for cellphone" and he would put it on a table or some sort and record videos like that.
Cost - close to zero.

you can visit my youtube channel - and see my training videos. Those are using cheap camera or using HD mode - but converted to lower quality for the sake of "slow internet" in South Africa.
www.youtube.com/tonystabletennis

Remember - you want to focus on TT and not focus on your recording, so make sure your objective remains the same, and not waste time and money on a subject outside of your main goal.
So just get an camcorder (usd100 - 200), get a tripod that is suitable for that and you are done. Don't even waste your time on the 1000 pound cameras that is even mentioned above. You are not needing your recording to be professional broadcasted

word of advice to look out for:
- the number of hours you require for your recording - video size + battery
- some cheaper cameras don't allow for long periods of video recording
you're right i'm only searching for something to make a few video's and get some coaching here on the forum. btw don't worry i have two 1,5 hour training sessions with a coach (in a group, not private) and the possiblity to play another 4,5 hour or so here at my club, so that's going good.
thanks for the advice, i'm not sure what camera my cellphone has and i've got an older digital camera lying around somewhere, so i'll try those out first. i must say the quality of your video's is more than sufficient, what kind of camera are you using?