Dhs h3 neo and butterfly sriver el

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Blades like Stiga Clipper or Avalox P-700 if you want an Off speed blade are great. They are both pretty fast and quite reasonably priced. The Jonyer Hinoki blade is nice as well. So are the Cornilleau blades: Hinotec Off, Off- or All+ are all pretty fast. Stiga Energy wood plays like a Clipper but it is light and Off- rather than Off. Avalox P-500 is good as well. These blades are not very expensive since they are all wood but they are good blades. You do not have to spend a lot of money for a good blade.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Speed glue is banned.. So Sriver El is obselote? Btw is primorac 2000 gd?

Yep. That is what I was saying. Besides, who wants to waste their time re-gluing every time you play when there are rubbers that are more than good enough that you can just put on and play. Hurricane III Neo is great though.

Any cheaper blades similar to michael maze maze or timo boll spirit?

Stiga Clipper is about the same speed as those blades and costs 1/3 the price. What the combination of Carbon and Arylate does is twofold. The Arylate makes it soft so there is a lot of dwell time and therefore you get a lot of control and spin, while the carbon makes the blade fast. It works. The thing I don't like about those blades is that the carbon also makes it harder to feel the ball while it is on the rubber.

The Stiga Clipper and several of the other Swedish blades get the same effect without the carbon. The Clipper is an all wood blade which is why it is relatively inexpensive. The outer ply is Limba which is soft and slow, which gives you good dwell time, control and spin. The inner plies are all Ayous which is a springy fast wood. The outer ply is very thin so that if you swing harder, the ball sinks further into the wood and you feel this SNAP and then the ball flies out like the ball has been catapulted off the blade surface. The same thing happens with a carbon/arylate blade like the TBS, but you don't feel the snap the same way.

The Avalox P-700 is very similar to the Clipper but a little slower and a little lighter. All the blades by Stiga that are made with Limba as the outer ply and Ayous as the inner plies do the same thing but the number of plies and thickness of inner plies causes the blades to be different speeds. So the Stiga Energy Wood is a lot lighter and a little slower than the Clipper; the Stiga Allround Evolution is a little lighter than the Clipper, a little heavier than the Energy Wood, and a little slower than the Energy Wood. The Allround Oversize is about the same speed as the Energy wood but it is heavier than the Clipper and is made with the same plies. Clipper is 7 ply and Allround Evolution, Oversize and Energy Wood are 5 ply. Stiga Tube Allround and Offensive are really good as well.

Blades that are all Hinoki do something similar too.

The one ply Hinoki blades like the Darker Speed 90 are amazing but they are pretty expensive, delicate and a little too thick and a little too heavy. They are better for penhold players than for shakehand players. But multi-ply blades that use Hinoki are often quite good. Ones like the Jonyer Special are 5 ply, all Hinoki, and there is an advantage to that. And ones like the Cornilleau Hinotec series (All+, Off- and Off, I would not try the Off+) are using Hinoki as the outer ply and woods like Limba and Ayous as the inner plies. These blades are really good for that effect of slow and controlled play for short game and then they have that snap and pop when you generate more power in your stroke. I am not sure where they got the speed ratings for the Cornilleau Hinotec blades but the All+ and Off- play more like Off rated blades with excellent control as though they were slower. However, if you have never used Hinoki, it takes a little getting used to because it is such a springy wood. But once you get used to it, Hinoki does everything well: short game, loop, smash, touch, power. It is an almost magical wood for table tennis blades.

The Yasaka Extra blades are another example of this quality of speed and control with a little bit of extra kick when you need it.

In any case, there are a lot of blades that are not too expensive, that are all wood, that play with good speed and control the way the high end Butterfly blades play.

Last edited:

This user has no status.
S

This user has no status.
if you are a beginner you can use sriver el both fh and bh.
if you want more power and something more advanced you can use andro hexer both fh and bh.
I wouldn't recommend h3 neo, it's more difficult to use than sriver and untuned it's performance is really below sriver and hexer.

a very good and cheap alternative to sriver is palio hk1997 or cj8000, great rubbers.

Last edited:
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
try yasaka ma lin extra offensive. the stiga clipper will be a bit slower than the yasaka blade. can't go wrong with either of them.

I have used both and the Clipper I used was considerably faster than the Ma Lin Extra Offensive that I tried. The Ma Lin EO was a lot lighter though. Both are very good blades.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2011
Pretty post. I just found your site and wanted to say that I have really enjoyed browsing your posts.In any case I'll be subscribing to your blog and I hope you post again soon