PDA

View Full Version : Who has the world's best backhand?

TableTennisNerd
02-08-2015, 06:25 PM
I used to ust think that it was zjk, but then I watched persson and he has an epic bh smash too. my top 3 probably goes:

1) Zhang Jike

2) Jorgen Persson

3) Xu Xin (yes I know he is penhold but for some reason I could watch his bh all day!)

Anyway, who have your fave bhs?

raazzz
02-08-2015, 08:33 PM
Ovtcharov comes high on my list, Persson and kreanga definitely got the coolest! ;)

Rajah*
02-08-2015, 11:08 PM
<-- WangHao

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

NextLevel
02-09-2015, 01:24 AM
The topic that never dies. ZJK, FZD, DO. All other backhands are deficient in some way.

3Star
02-10-2015, 06:34 AM
Zhang Jike!

Anders
02-10-2015, 09:18 AM
I Would day that right now, Ovtcharov and ZJK has the best backhand.. But over the last 30 years, I Would add Persson, Maze and Kreanga to the top 5 list :)

dhsalex
02-10-2015, 10:25 AM
zhou yu has my favorite backhand

trim
02-10-2015, 12:15 PM
my favorite backhand hum... FZD or Ma Long

NextLevel
02-10-2015, 01:32 PM
Historically, too many great backhands. For me, when dealing with questions like this, the BHs of interest tend to be those from players who pretty much overuse it. Two that come to mind are Karakasevic and Henzell. But surely, there must be others.

Der_Echte
02-10-2015, 04:03 PM
It is obviously Nexy Level and that sorry-azz BH-Man from MyTT. :D

Dancer in the dark
02-11-2015, 07:00 AM
Joo Saehyuk ;-)

Send from Mobile Phone via Tapatalk

TTFrenzy
02-12-2015, 01:41 AM
placement, variation & effectiveness (all kinds of bh strokes) : zhang jike and wang hao by far. People say zjk most of the times because he beat wang hao and he has a more explossive BH overall but WH is the best in variation by far from everyone.

talent & stroke beauty : ovtcharov and kreanga, crazy bh topspins far away from the table , especially kreanga who uses an "unorthodox" but personal trademark way to strike with tons of shoulder rotation also

bh smash, persson definitely. his height/flexibility helped him a lot

bh flick power : fan zhendong zhang jike, and sometimes ma long when he is in good mood to try risky shots.

bh over the table : ovtcharov hands down. he can place it anywhere, with tons of spin and speed also. ZJK and ML also admire dima for his characteristic move

bh block : waldner samsonov matsudaira, crazy placements everywhere, I dont need to explain why :P

TareqPhoto
02-12-2015, 10:44 AM
No wonder why i love to use BH more than FH, i enjoy a lot watching those top players finishing by their BH, i did watch most names you posted above, but i will watch the others you mentioned and i don't know about.

In females, there are good players with BH too, but mostly watch Liu Shiwen because she is my favorite player i watch.

TTFrenzy, can you add also those BH defensive choppers too? I remember in the past i was watching TT when i was a kid, there is one female Chinese players, she is a very very defensive chopper with a lot of BH returns and i think she won an Olympics or World Champion or i don't know which one that time, i hope someone can remember her so i can search about her videos.

TTFrenzy
02-13-2015, 01:36 AM
No wonder why i love to use BH more than FH, i enjoy a lot watching those top players finishing by their BH, i did watch most names you posted above, but i will watch the others you mentioned and i don't know about.

In females, there are good players with BH too, but mostly watch Liu Shiwen because she is my favorite player i watch.

TTFrenzy, can you add also those BH defensive choppers too? I remember in the past i was watching TT when i was a kid, there is one female Chinese players, she is a very very defensive chopper with a lot of BH returns and i think she won an Olympics or World Champion or i don't know which one that time, i hope someone can remember her so i can search about her videos.

I admire LSW also, in 2013 only li xiaoxia could beat her in terms of explosiveness. I would dare to say tha LSW is on a bigger level than ding ning when she is in the mood, but we must wait and see what happens in the wttc 2015.

No chopper has ever won 1st place in olympics or wttc in singles so I guess you are talking about doubles mxd doubles or team

TareqPhoto
02-13-2015, 03:11 AM
I admire LSW also, in 2013 only li xiaoxia could beat her in terms of explosiveness. I would dare to say tha LSW is on a bigger level than ding ning when she is in the mood, but we must wait and see what happens in the wttc 2015.

No chopper has ever won 1st place in olympics or wttc in singles so I guess you are talking about doubles mxd doubles or team

I agree about Liu Shiwen, when she is in the mood then she is unstoppable, and when she faces a tough opponent then you can call it a day.

Well, i really don't know if that chopper female player won the Olympics or not, and that was in the past i said, before 2000, maybe in 1990s, i remember i was watching her using chops a lot and won a lot of games and i remember she one a title or Championship, but it was definitely single games of her not double or team.

phillypong
02-13-2015, 12:50 PM
best backhand now : ZJK , FZD , Ovtcharov (Maze does not even got the banana flick right, mentioning him is a joke sorry)

aunhh
03-24-2015, 01:55 AM
I used to ust think that it was zjk, but then I watched persson and he has an epic bh smash too. my top 3 probably goes:

1) Zhang Jike

2) Jorgen Persson

3) Xu Xin (yes I know he is penhold but for some reason I could watch his bh all day!)

I think Zhang Jike No1, Ma Long No2, Ovtcharov No3

Der_Echte
03-24-2015, 03:46 AM
There is a dude at MyTT forum who registered for and got the screen name BH-Man years BEFORE Kreanga could secure it. What is up with that?

NextLevel
03-24-2015, 06:16 PM
I am the original BH-Man. All others are fakes.

TareqPhoto
03-24-2015, 06:27 PM
^^^ Nah, i am the emperor of BH, you just copied from me and then they copied from you, i am the root dear friend, respect the emperor.

NextLevel
03-25-2015, 01:07 PM
But no one has seen your backhand - only your imagination. People who have played me and watched me comment on the sheer awesomeness of my backhand.

Paul Drinkhall
03-25-2015, 01:32 PM
Another two amazing backhands - Jorg Rosskopk and Dmitry Mazunov!

izra
03-25-2015, 01:59 PM
oh sang eun had an amazing backhand block and flat drive.

Gochoforehand
03-25-2015, 02:08 PM
I looove the Kreanga`s BH but to choose one of the list a would say Zhang Jike

TareqPhoto
03-25-2015, 07:02 PM
But no one has seen your backhand - only your imagination. People who have played me and watched me comment on the sheer awesomeness of my backhand.

Its ok, we believe you, but opponents i won still remember when i won some games against with using only BH the whole game, even returning their serves, anyway, i didn't see your backhand as well, so we keep our secret or powerful BH to ourselves, i retired from BH world and i am just sitting on my thrown yawning.

NextLevel
03-25-2015, 08:01 PM

Your backhand is extremely awesome as well!

neil1141
03-26-2015, 12:47 PM
No one mentioned wang hao, thought his backhand was mental especially as it was a penholder!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TTHopeful
03-27-2015, 10:34 AM
From the list I have put Zhang Jike. But watching Fan Zhendong over the last few years I think he will live to have the best bh of all time.

oksa
03-27-2015, 11:34 AM
Werner schlager

Killerspintt
03-27-2015, 12:06 PM
FZD=ZJK > Boll

Thats what i would say for the today's top3 of the upcomming wttc.

Wang Hao is the best BH ever imho.

UpSideDownCarl
03-27-2015, 12:08 PM
No one mentioned wang hao, thought his backhand was mental especially as it was a penholder!

You must have missed these when reading the thread:

<-- WangHao

placement, variation & effectiveness (all kinds of bh strokes) : zhang jike and wang hao by far. People say zjk most of the times because he beat wang hao and he has a more explossive BH overall but WH is the best in variation by far from everyone.

There is no question that Wang Hao's backhand was pretty amazing. I would say TTFrenzy's quote is top notch.

UpSideDownCarl
03-27-2015, 12:14 PM
Its ok, we believe you, but opponents i won still remember when i won some games against with using only BH the whole game, even returning their serves, anyway, i didn't see your backhand as well, so we keep our secret or powerful BH to ourselves, i retired from BH world and i am just sitting on my thrown yawning.

I have seen video of NextLevel playing and he indeed was ripping the ball past people with his backhand. I have seen BHMan from MyTT play, and his backhand is pretty darn good. That guy Der_Ecthe has a pretty decent backhand also, but I think he copied it from BHMan. hahaha.

So, TareqPhoto, since you are the Emperor of backhands, why don't you post a video of you playing so we can see.

Der_Ecthe can tell you about my backhand. I think it does a few things okay. Not as good as Der_Echte's though.

Der_Echte
03-27-2015, 03:48 PM
That worthless BH-Man is only a joker who beat me to that screen name, but give him credit, he also beat Kreanga to dibs on that screen name, so I guess that counts for something.

I have several very good BH shots, but vs incoming topspin I am not as god as Carl, who can reloop it right off the bounce BH and VERY consistently.

Right now, I am barely on the upswing from a light grade 2 muscle/tendon tear in my upper hitting arm, so I am not exactly playing TT a lot, as if I had TT anywhere close to me anyway.

TareqPhoto
03-27-2015, 07:15 PM
I have seen video of NextLevel playing and he indeed was ripping the ball past people with his backhand. I have seen BHMan from MyTT play, and his backhand is pretty darn good. That guy Der_Ecthe has a pretty decent backhand also, but I think he copied it from BHMan. hahaha.

So, TareqPhoto, since you are the Emperor of backhands, why don't you post a video of you playing so we can see.

Der_Ecthe can tell you about my backhand. I think it does a few things okay. Not as good as Der_Echte's though.

I would like to watch that video too.

I will try one day to video myself playing or using my BH, and then i will post here [and forget about the emperor thing, it was a joke, heehehe].

So, what is your measurement about the greatest BH player, is it how many times he is doing it or how he is doing it during the games or how good he is using his BH? many players have great BH, i saw Wang Hao and i agree his BH is amazing, but is he the greatest? why so him and not others Chinese players who are also great such as ZJK and FZD and ML/XX and whoever?

UpSideDownCarl
03-27-2015, 07:52 PM
I would like to watch that video too.

Well, I guess you don't have much of a memory. Both Next Level and Der_Echte posted videos of their play in your first thread, the one on which blade you should get. I know you quoted and commented on NextLevel's video. But, some people can't remember what they did yesterday so, just go back and read your own thread.

UpSideDownCarl
03-27-2015, 08:13 PM
So, what is your measurement about the greatest BH player, is it how many times he is doing it or how he is doing it during the games or how good he is using his BH? many players have great BH, i saw Wang Hao and i agree his BH is amazing, but is he the greatest? why so him and not others Chinese players who are also great such as ZJK and FZD and ML/XX and whoever?

From my perspective there is really no such thing.

Traditionally the Chinese game had a huge forehand and a weak backhand. Traditionally, the European game had a strong backhand and an adequate forehand. When the Swedes started dominating in the late 1980s into the 1990s, China sent a player to Sweden to learn their style. That was an unprecedented move. The player was Kong Linghui: World Champion and Olympic Gold winner. However, Kong was still a forehand dominant player who had a solid and adequate backhand.

Wang Liqin was in the same mold where the forehand was a beast of a weapon and the backhand kept him a 3 dimensional player but was not really something you had to be worried about as a weapon.

Ma Long is actually still in this mode. Perhaps he is the last Chinese player in that mold. And his backhand is awfully good, but it is not the kind of weapon his forehand is, and it is not the kind of weapon that Wang Hao, Zhang Jike or Fan Zhendong are able to use their backhand as.

Those three, if they want to, can dominate a game and an opponent by pinning him to the backhand side and forcing them to go backhand to backhand, or to try and turn to the forehand where they will be vulnerable to a down the line punch.

History aside, a great backhand could be many things. Kreanga's is a monster backhand. But it might not be as versatile as some of the newer players. Still, that is a beast of a backhand. Persson has said himself that his swat kill backhand, that made his backhand so powerful and effective in the 1990s is a shot you can't live and die with in todays game. In todays game you have to be able to spin the heck out of the ball with the backhand loop so that the two sides both have powerful spin. Still, it was an amazing backhand.

The kind of things that guys like Dima, ZJK, FZD and Wang Hao are able to do with their backhands really cover such a broad range of skills, from looping over the table (what people often call banana or flick), to long distance bombs.

There are so many great backhands. Maze's backhand might not be well rounded but some of the shots he makes with his backhand when he gets backed up on defense and gets a chance to counter loop are pretty darn amazing.

In 2003, great serves and a solid, steady backhand, that did everything people did back then with a backhand won Werner Schlager the World Championships.

Today there are a handful of players who really can do everything well with the backhand and can dominate an opponent by not letting them get to their forehand, or forcing them to give up position at the table if they try to turn to their forehand. It is great to watch someone who can really control a whole match with their backhand and dictate the pace and tactics.

Who is the best, several people.

Oh, and by the way, Xu Xin really does not use his backhand much or effectively because his forehand is so good. But when he uses it, man, it is a crazy thing to watch. Some of those sidespin loops he gets with his backhand, unreal. But it is also not fully developed or so well rounded.

TareqPhoto
03-28-2015, 06:01 AM
Well, I guess you don't have much of a memory. Both Next Level and Der_Echte posted videos of their play in your first thread, the one on which blade you should get. I know you quoted and commented on NextLevel's video. But, some people can't remember what they did yesterday so, just go back and read your own thread.

Right, i forgot they were the ones posted in my thread, i went back and so that, thank you and sorry for that i forgot about it.

From my perspective there is really no such thing.

Traditionally the Chinese game had a huge forehand and a weak backhand. Traditionally, the European game had a strong backhand and an adequate forehand. When the Swedes started dominating in the late 1980s into the 1990s, China sent a player to Sweden to learn their style. That was an unprecedented move. The player was Kong Linghui: World Champion and Olympic Gold winner. However, Kong was still a forehand dominant player who had a solid and adequate backhand.

Wang Liqin was in the same mold where the forehand was a beast of a weapon and the backhand kept him a 3 dimensional player but was not really something you had to be worried about as a weapon.

Ma Long is actually still in this mode. Perhaps he is the last Chinese player in that mold. And his backhand is awfully good, but it is not the kind of weapon his forehand is, and it is not the kind of weapon that Wang Hao, Zhang Jike or Fan Zhendong are able to use their backhand as.

Those three, if they want to, can dominate a game and an opponent by pinning him to the backhand side and forcing them to go backhand to backhand, or to try and turn to the forehand where they will be vulnerable to a down the line punch.

History aside, a great backhand could be many things. Kreanga's is a monster backhand. But it might not be as versatile as some of the newer players. Still, that is a beast of a backhand. Persson has said himself that his swat kill backhand, that made his backhand so powerful and effective in the 1990s is a shot you can't live and die with in todays game. In todays game you have to be able to spin the heck out of the ball with the backhand loop so that the two sides both have powerful spin. Still, it was an amazing backhand.

The kind of things that guys like Dima, ZJK, FZD and Wang Hao are able to do with their backhands really cover such a broad range of skills, from looping over the table (what people often call banana or flick), to long distance bombs.

There are so many great backhands. Maze's backhand might not be well rounded but some of the shots he makes with his backhand when he gets backed up on defense and gets a chance to counter loop are pretty darn amazing.

In 2003, great serves and a solid, steady backhand, that did everything people did back then with a backhand won Werner Schlager the World Championships.

Today there are a handful of players who really can do everything well with the backhand and can dominate an opponent by not letting them get to their forehand, or forcing them to give up position at the table if they try to turn to their forehand. It is great to watch someone who can really control a whole match with their backhand and dictate the pace and tactics.

Who is the best, several people.

Oh, and by the way, Xu Xin really does not use his backhand much or effectively because his forehand is so good. But when he uses it, man, it is a crazy thing to watch. Some of those sidespin loops he gets with his backhand, unreal. But it is also not fully developed or so well rounded.

Nice detailed post, you explained it well, not many did that, so now i can see the difference, as i watched many players and wondered why they don't use their BH when they are good at it, I felt like it is not that hard as long they are good in TT, but i know many depending on their FH that made them less using of their BH, in the past my BH was my weapon, nowadays i try to have both my weapon, and yesterday i was practicing only in the club with 2 players, the first one my FH was 90% success and my backhand was about 20% success, and the other player who is a chinese new to the game i was like showing off to him, and i did smashed him with some BH that he was so impressed how i did it, then i taught him few tricks but i know i am not a good trainer at all because i am not good at TT yet, also he is still too early and young to learn, but i was happy that he managed to make few BH he was dreaming about and i am sure he will grow up and improve better than me in no time if he keeps training and playing and had a coach.

UpSideDownCarl
03-28-2015, 11:17 AM
I heard an old Chinese man say this once: "The backhand is the shield, the forehand is the sword!" That is based on the old Chinese style that revolved around the penhold grip, a very powerful forehand and a blocking backhand, which requires very intense footwork.

In todays game, it is very hard to be successful at the very top levels with that kind of style. Ryu Seung Min is Korean but he is the best examples I can think of in modern table tennis where that style was successful, but when he was in his prime he was sooooooo fast and so amazing. But then he faded because you have to be in such amazing shape physically to play that style.

Because you are covering both the forehand and backhand sides of the table primarily with the forehand in that style, you have to do 3-4x more footwork and expend that much more energy to play that style than a player who has both wings well developed.

Ma Lin and Xu Xin are a similar style but they can use the reverse penhold backhand when they want and need to so they are not stuck with only the traditional penhold backhand. Where Ryu Seung Min doesn't even have rubber on his backhand side.

In the finals of the 2004 Olympics, you can see how much Ryu Seung Min moves over to the backhand side to use his forehand against Wang Hao:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4e16Zbqvc8A

And that style of play always gave Wang Hao a lot of trouble even though, after this match he figured out how to handle Ryu and nullify his power from a tactical standpoint.

KM1976
03-28-2015, 01:04 PM
If I think of a versatile backhand then Aleksandar Karakasevic from Serbia comes to my mind immediately. I had an opportunity to watch one of his matches through youtube subscription and boy, what a backhand. Being a lefty, he has the ability to match a forehand counter topspinning rally against a right handed player with his backhand. Talking about versatility, he can loop slow, hit a winner against a backspin, can play a jab or puch, do a side spin both curving ways and has a fantastic backhand flat flip.

He is not that high rated as other players which are being discussed in this post, but if you watch his matches, then you will understand what I am trying to convey. Since we are talking about an outstanding backhand player, I think he is a very worthy contender.

Der_Echte
03-28-2015, 02:45 PM

Carl, don't DIVERT the Philly Goon Squad on Tareq for forgetting about how BOTH NL and DE posted vids of themselves on his thread... Heck, I forgot about it myself.

One thing though... NL is Philly based and isn't harrased by the Goon Squad and Next Level uses some rubbers on the Goon Squad hit list..

COULD it be that Next Level took evading and BAITING the Goon Squad to a WHOLE NEW LEVEL and never went public with it yet? Maybe Nexy Level has a bunch of HILARIOUS vids of the Goon Squads in compromising situations and is saving them to enhance his retirement income ???

Let's not sell NL short, maybe he is a whole NEXT LEVEL of bad-ass we haven't seen yet. Maybe he wants it that way.

Mofluk
03-28-2015, 11:03 PM
I love ZJK.
Persson is great
Waldner was great at placing the ball on the Backhand.
DO has a great backhand, but maybe too reliant on it?

What about A. Grubba?

raazzz
03-28-2015, 11:30 PM
I love ZJK.
Persson is great
Waldner was great at placing the ball on the Backhand.
DO has a great backhand, but maybe too reliant on it?

What about A. Grubba?

Waldner and Samsonov must have the best backhand when it comes to the block in my opinion! :)

abbass
03-29-2015, 08:22 PM
only kreanga

NextLevel
03-30-2015, 04:44 AM
Carl, don't DIVERT the Philly Goon Squad on Tareq for forgetting about how BOTH NL and DE posted vids of themselves on his thread... Heck, I forgot about it myself.

One thing though... NL is Philly based and isn't harrased by the Goon Squad and Next Level uses some rubbers on the Goon Squad hit list..

COULD it be that Next Level took evading and BAITING the Goon Squad to a WHOLE NEW LEVEL and never went public with it yet? Maybe Nexy Level has a bunch of HILARIOUS vids of the Goon Squads in compromising situations and is saving them to enhance his retirement income ???

Let's not sell NL short, maybe he is a whole NEXT LEVEL of bad-ass we haven't seen yet. Maybe he wants it that way.

Dude, where's my car?

Der_Echte
03-30-2015, 03:19 PM
NL, I think those Amazon chicks took it.

Sheng07
03-30-2015, 03:36 PM
All great players, obviously. I am favoring Dima's back hand right now because of its power. I still think Kreanga has the coolest backhand stroke.

Goce1303
04-02-2015, 01:04 AM
Kreanga is the best bH off all and for block is J.O.Waldner . . .

Simon Sangals
07-17-2015, 08:38 PM
kreanga has the most spectacular backhand for sure. but i also like the short spinny agressive move from fan zhendong when he is flipping nearly every serve

Loopadoop
07-18-2015, 11:27 AM

That one BH by Jorg Rosskoph, off the table, almost never came back.

Add - Primorac

Hamasaki_Fanz
07-18-2015, 07:27 PM
I'd say Kreanga and Schlager... The hell man, probably only Schlager loops JSH chop with backhand... lmao

RonWan
07-18-2015, 10:36 PM
Next to ZJK, Crisan, Karakasevic, Ovtcharov, Mattenet and Maze one name comes in my mind that is really really unbalanced towards his backhand (and most likely has the worst forehand I have seen of a top 200 player): Vitaly Nekhvedovich.

TareqPhoto
07-19-2015, 06:49 AM
I forgot to ask this question here before, define "Best": fastest? strongest? better consistency? .... ???

raazzz
07-19-2015, 10:38 AM
Like I wrote before Waldner and Samsonov maybe got the safest block with best placement. And Persson and Kreanga got the hardest. It's hard to say whats defines the "best" backhand but I think placement is high on the list.

TareqPhoto
07-19-2015, 11:41 AM
Like I wrote before Waldner and Samsonov maybe got the safest block with best placement. And Persson and Kreanga got the hardest. It's hard to say whats defines the "best" backhand but I think placement is high on the list.

Yes, if i have to choose one of those then i will go with placement or more control with backhand, we all can hit hard or fast or strong with backhand, but how many times can we make those on table of opponents?

BeGo
07-19-2015, 11:50 AM
Well, best backhand (stroke) is a too broad class. I prefer to narrow it down. :)

Bh:
- block, Waldner, with Samsonov in close 2nd
- drive. Kreanga, and several Fukuhara class Japan player, Ito Mima, “Japan Prodegee forgot His name”, etc
- chop. Matsushita Koji, and off course, Angelica Rozeanu
- loop, Wang Hao, with Zhang Jike in close 2nd. For the defensive one, Stephane Ouaiche come to mind.
- lob, Jean Michael Saive

Streebeck
07-19-2015, 01:19 PM
epic BH players: Mazunov, Grubba, Karakasevic
all 3 mainly based their style on the BH

TareqPhoto
07-19-2015, 01:53 PM
Well, best backhand (stroke) is a too broad class. I prefer to narrow it down. :)

Bh:
- block, Waldner, with Samsonov in close 2nd
- drive. Kreanga, and several Fukuhara class Japan player, Ito Mima, “Japan Prodegee forgot His name”, etc
- chop. Matsushita Koji, and off course, Angelica Rozeanu
- loop, Wang Hao, with Zhang Jike in close 2nd. For the defensive one, Stephane Ouaiche come to mind.
- lob, Jean Michael Saive

This is the best post i read here, this explain better about different backhand style and which player of each style, and i am sure they are can play all those styles, but to each is his/her own

Der_Echte
07-19-2015, 03:11 PM
I think the question of best BH is gunna require a lot of context (as there are many different BH shots) and discernment of how it helps/hurts the overall game of the player.

I have been using Kim Jung Hoon's BH school of thought close to the table and even for amature players, I think it is a good idea.

His BH topspin close to the table is basically a very solid struck drive (very forward stroke) without a ton of topspin, but if time is afforded, then can incorporate more wrist & spin.

The advantages of KJH's BH are: it is very compact, easy to consistently strike the ball in the strike zone, easy to repeat, easy to recover and reset/be ready, and make variations.

I use a totally different BH for BH looping underspin and flips, but Kim Jung Hoon's concepts for the close to table BH are very sound and amature players could apply them to their game close to the table.

MV_Smoove_BHD
07-19-2015, 06:00 PM
Since there are a lot of different areas of the backhand you could rate I think that in terms of the best Backhand Block I'd have to go with the Mozart of tabletennis J.O. Waldner, slightely ahead of Samsonov and Primorac.

When I look at who has the most powerful backhand I can't pick one out of those four as the number one: Schlager, Kreanga, Rosskopf, Ovtcharov.

Playing the backhand over the table I like Zhang Jike, Ovtcharov and Mattenet.

Overall I think Zhang Jike has the best backhand in my opinion with Kreanga as a close second and Oh Sang Eun, who is a pretty underrated player in my opinion, as the 3rd ranked on my list.

Baal
07-19-2015, 08:54 PM

1) Zhang Jike

2) Jorgen Persson

I am glad you mentioned Persson. He could do everything with his BH it is possible to do in table tennis and it was steady as a rock. Overall, when you consider strength on that side of the table with every type of shot -- drive, push, return, block, loop, smash, fish, it is hard to top Persson, even if it rarely looked spectacular like, say Kreanga. (By comparison, for example, Waldner almost never looped with his BH). In the current generation of players there are so many amazing backhands it is hard to pick just one or two. That aspect of the game has really taken another step in the last few years with players like ZJK, FZD, Ovtcharov and so many others. Also, you have to mention Wang Hao. Greatest penhold BH ever, totally revolutionized the sport.

Archosaurus
02-14-2016, 03:14 AM
Ma Long.

You can replace this with next year's champ and it'd be accurate, because in the modern game, you can't survive as number 1 without a great backhand.

UpSideDownCarl
02-14-2016, 03:29 AM
Ma Long.

You can replace this with next year's champ and it'd be accurate, because in the modern game, you can't survive as number 1 without a great backhand.

Spoken like a true Ma Long fan.

Ma Long's FH is probably the best around. His BH has improved a lot. But it is nowhere near the best today. That being said, he is so much better on the BH wing than he used to be. It is not a weakness anymore.

Sent from Deep Space by Abacus

po-stit
02-14-2016, 03:32 AM
Im the only one missing Marcos Freitas in this thread?

Archosaurus
02-14-2016, 03:33 AM
Spoken like a true Ma Long fan.

Ma Long's FH is probably the best around. His BH has improved a lot. But it is nowhere near the best today. That being said, he is so much better on the BH wing than he used to be. It is not a weakness anymore.

We need to remember what is "best".

Best is what won you the world championship. I don't think the ranking is based on stroke quality or style. :rolleyes:

UpSideDownCarl
02-14-2016, 04:29 AM
Ma Long won the world championships because he was the best player in that tournament and in most tournaments. But the best player does not always have the best backhand.

When Ryu Seung Min won the 2004 Olympics, did that make him the player with the best backhand that year? That is silly. He has no backhand. He is a classic J-Pen forehand player who uses footwork to cover the whole table with his forehand.

Xylit
02-14-2016, 07:10 AM
Best BH in my opinion has Zhang Jike. I'd put Ovtcharov somewhere in the top five aswell.

TT_Rogue
02-14-2016, 05:17 PM
I think FZD has the most power in it, ZHJ is most versatile with it and Ovtcharovs BH is great because it comes a lot from positions where you are not expecting it and is very efficent

El Guiri
02-21-2016, 11:45 PM
What do you think about the back hand of adrien mattenet ?

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk

El Guiri
02-22-2016, 07:51 PM
http://youtu.be/zF31CKnEgkk

violoniste18
02-22-2016, 08:18 PM
yes ! I think Adrien Mattenet has the best backhand, in terms of beauty, speed, close to the table and far too.

It's the most spectacular backhand.

But I'm french ...

violoniste18
02-22-2016, 08:23 PM
you have to look at that video ... what a backhand top-spin !

RonWan
02-22-2016, 09:31 PM
I would like to add votes for Adrian Crisan and Vitaly Nekhvedovich, they lacked the forehand but have a backhand that on its own defeated guys like Boll, Habesohn and Chen Chien-an.

Guybrush123
02-22-2016, 10:10 PM
Jörgen Persson has a name for his own backhand...The Cobra! I rest my case...:)

El Guiri
02-22-2016, 10:27 PM
Well iam french too but i really think is has a wonderfull backand ! Its justa fast spinny and with good precision !!!!

El Guiri
02-22-2016, 10:30 PM
Iam french but a leave france about 12 years ago and never came back

DoctorPaco
02-23-2016, 02:21 AM
I was watching a subbed match of the Chinese Trials back in 14/15 nor too sure. But LGL was commentator for that match and he was asked by his fellow commentator who had the best backhand after Zhang and he replied with something along the lines of "Zhang has got a fantastic backhand, but when he faced Ovtcharov in the Olympics, we had to try to stop Ovtcharov from playing his backhand because it was the most complete, comprehensive backhand I've ever seen. If Zhang kept playing to his bh , who knows? Maybe Ovtcharov would've won. That man has a talent for the backhand."
Something like that

brabhamista
02-23-2016, 04:37 AM
I think:
The most spectacular backhands belong to Mattenet and Kreanga.
The most effective one today is Zhang Jike's.
Two of the greatest ever are Wang Hao and Jörgen Persson.

I'd like to add another name from the past - Peter Karlsson. He was perhaps the first player to have a "modern" backhand in terms of it's power and looping capabilities. He used it as a true offensive weapon and not just for linking shots and defensive play as was common in the early 90's. He had a pretty powerful forehand to back it up too.

Here he is playing Kreanga in the French League in 2008. Karlsson is pretty old here. But even at 39 he still had a powerful game.
The match is very entertaining and has great rallies, backhands, forehands and drop shots. A fine match between two of the greatest backhands.

http://youtu.be/n-luuDCCk2Y

gmiller2233
05-03-2017, 05:37 PM
kreanga is my favorite bh to watch. not sure about best, but love seeing him rip bh winers. looks like it's coming out of a cannon. it could totally flipped rallies.

Regarding persson I love watching him use his bh when he moving in towards the table maybe after being deep on D. His bh was always good but it was is most definitely electric when doing that shot.
And not saying the best here so I'm off topic a bit but speaking of coming in to finish rallies with the bh love watching the short pips defender from Japan yuto muramatsu. Man his backhand Finnish's are fun to watch. If the attacking player pushes back and gives him any room at all he's all over it.

Ilia Minkin
05-03-2017, 05:49 PM
Skachkov's backhand is HUGE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IE6VabXymg0

Zaid323918
05-03-2017, 06:02 PM
FZD's backhand is the most powerful and the best when it comes to placement. He can flick a short ball from any point it's given to him to anywhere he likes. and his counterloops and down the line ones are OP.

TTFrenzy
05-03-2017, 10:40 PM
I would say ovtcharov by far. The chinese are more consistent but in terms of raw talent dima is the best BH ever hands down . If only he could land that killer BH against ma long in the wtttc 2014 when he was up 10-9 in the first

LGL also stated that ZJK and ML could only "shake their heads in amazement" when they saw dima's games from london . "that bh is just too good" something like that they said

zzzuppp
05-03-2017, 10:58 PM
A few forgotten names:

If you'd asked anyone in TT between 1920 and c.1960 who had the best backhand, one name would stand out - Victor Barna.

In the 60s and 70s - Stanislav Gomozkov

A little later - Tibor Klampar as well as Andrzej Grubba

Nobody's yet mentioned Erik Lindh whose lefty BH loop was on the same level as Rosskopf

or Petr Korbel, Mr. chiquita

PH backhands pre- Wang Hao - Kim Wan, Kim Taek Soo

Some women - Mihaela Steff, Tamara Boros

countrybread
05-03-2017, 11:10 PM
I think Zhang Jike's claim to backhand fame is his backhand flick. So smooth, consistent, and simply the best-looking flick. Some honorable mentions among modern pros:

Fan Zhendong, Kim Min Seok, Maharu Yoshimura, Wong Chun Ting

TTFrenzy
05-03-2017, 11:41 PM
A few forgotten names:

If you'd asked anyone in TT between 1920 and c.1960 who had the best backhand, one name would stand out - Victor Barna.

In the 60s and 70s - Stanislav Gomozkov

A little later - Tibor Klampar as well as Andrzej Grubba

Nobody's yet mentioned Erik Lindh whose lefty BH loop was on the same level as Rosskopf

or Petr Korbel, Mr. chiquita

PH backhands pre- Wang Hao - Kim Wan, Kim Taek Soo

Some women - Mihaela Steff, Tamara Boros

klampar's BH technique close to the table is very similar to what players are doing today. wrist & forearm snap with spin focus

talbon
05-04-2017, 12:42 AM
This thread is dead, long live this tread! Best BH: I don't know. But incredible BHs:

Oh Sang Eun: lovely backhand, incredibly smooth technique altogether. youtu.be/_F06UjF4u5w
Werner Schlager: lol. youtu.be/KkzymPHjwOY?t=35s and youtu.be/Hl64lXn9buk
These two are fun to watch, even more so when they play each other (youtu.be/ML4b1uH8f3A?t=4m25s).

Before that, Waldner's BH on a good day was cool to watch (that slap! youtu.be/jgj_TpQkUCc?t=5m1s). Kreanga's BH is famous, although visually less appealing to me. Also yes, Tibor Klampar for a great player with a "weird" BH nicely bundled together with a "weird" FH!

More recently, Wang Hao, ZJK and FJD. Then quite a few more Chinese players with the same style. Outside China, LGL mentioned Ovtcharov's BH as pointed above. Jung Young-sik from Korea has a very good BH too (cf. Rio 2016 vs ZJK). I'm missing many more since the trend has been to better and better BHs for a handful of years.

TTFrenzy
05-04-2017, 01:42 PM
This thread is dead, long live this tread! Best BH: I don't know. But incredible BHs:

Oh Sang Eun: lovely backhand, incredibly smooth technique altogether. youtu.be/_F06UjF4u5w
Werner Schlager: lol. youtu.be/KkzymPHjwOY?t=35s and youtu.be/Hl64lXn9buk
These two are fun to watch, even more so when they play each other (youtu.be/ML4b1uH8f3A?t=4m25s).

Before that, Waldner's BH on a good day was cool to watch (that slap! youtu.be/jgj_TpQkUCc?t=5m1s). Kreanga's BH is famous, although visually less appealing to me. Also yes, Tibor Klampar for a great player with a "weird" BH nicely bundled together with a "weird" FH!

More recently, Wang Hao, ZJK and FJD. Then quite a few more Chinese players with the same style. Outside China, LGL mentioned Ovtcharov's BH as pointed above. Jung Young-sik from Korea has a very good BH too (cf. Rio 2016 vs ZJK). I'm missing many more since the trend has been to better and better BHs for a handful of years.

Yeah oh sang eun definitely belongs to this thread such a relaxed and fluent slap on the ball, he can do everything. Great ball feeling and an infamous flip

Baal
05-04-2017, 02:11 PM
I think this topic is actually really interesting and one that evolves over time and pretty quickly. It is worth revisiting from time to time.

Right now the top Chinese shakehand players all have insane backhands when you look at all the different things they can do with it. I think they they have taken it to a new level, seemingly all of them. Still, Dima has a backhand that people really have to fear in the sense that he can end points with a single shot.

Of course, we can never forget BH Man.

KM1976
05-04-2017, 02:50 PM
For versatility and elegance, anytime Aleksander Karakasevic

Gustavo Auad
05-04-2017, 04:49 PM
Hugo Calderano from Brazil.

Enviado de meu LG-D805 usando Tapatalk

ttcollector
05-04-2017, 05:19 PM
Kreanga, Rosskopf and Schlager

TTFPGER
05-04-2017, 06:52 PM
FZD and not to forget Stan Wawrinka ;)

Baal
05-04-2017, 07:06 PM
For versatility and elegance, anytime Aleksander Karaksevic

Perhaps the only time in his life Karakasevic has been described as elegant.

Great BH thiugh.

suds79
05-04-2017, 07:21 PM
For years I think Kreanga was/and still is kinda the reflex answer. It was great for sure.

But the BH now also includes the over the table loop which is something most players didn't do say before 2000 or whenever that came into fashion. So you have to take that into account.

For my money, FZD I really think has the best backhand I've ever seen. ZJK in his prime was right there also. But Fan's ability to seemingly over the table loop any serve along with his power & speed blows me away.

drunix80
05-04-2017, 07:50 PM
FZD has the best BH in recent times. Amazing touch, power and acceleration. Better than both ZJK and Dima. Both are tied 2nd in my list. Wang hao comes next. Among upcoming players - Liang Jinkun, Jakub Dylas and Hugo Calderano

countrybread
05-05-2017, 09:23 PM
Best BH Loop - Karakasevic
Best BH Drive - Ovtcharov
Best BH Smash - Kreanga
Best BH Flick - Zhang Jike
Best BH Block - Oh Sang Eun
Best BH Punch block - Jimmy Butler
Best BH Spin block - Kenta Matsudaira

TTFrenzy
05-06-2017, 01:41 AM
Perhaps the only time in his life Karakasevic has been described as elegant.

Great BH thiugh.

Haha that was epic. I dare to say that karakasevic maybe had or still has better ball feeling than waldner overall.

I saw some old matches of him and damn he plays the same tt and tactics/footwork for the past 20 years, definitely one of the biggest raw talents if not the best. ANd still can play quality TT with a huge belly

Garrison
05-06-2017, 08:08 AM
Timo Boll used to have sick sidespin in his backhands

Takkyu_wa_inochi
05-06-2017, 09:40 AM
among Women's, HIRANO Miu has the best BH no question about it. LIU Shiwen comes close but i think HIRANO's BH is better.
For pimples players, ITO Mima has the best short pips BH, the best (BH) chopper is probably WU Yang or HAN Ying.

along Men's, i think FZD has the best BH. enormous spin and power. but its a close call with MA Long. The most spectacular one may be PERSSON or KREANGA, but they are not the most effective. WANG Hao had the best PH BH. The best chopper ever was JOO SaeHyuk, his BH has a lot of backspin, that only the very best could fight when he was at his best. HARIMOTO has a very good BH block

Lermanator
05-07-2017, 01:37 AM
Best Backhand: Kreanga, Tokic, Ovtcharov, Jimmy Butler and I guess FZD
Worst Backhand: Quadri Aruna

sanavasaraja
05-07-2017, 08:13 PM
Finnish Benedek Oláh has a thunderous Ovtcharov-style backhand, but I guess it's far from being the best (because lacking consistency). I just had to mention him. :D

Boogar
05-08-2017, 10:53 AM
Oh Sang Eun, Fan Zhendong, Kenta Matsudaira, Dimitri Ovtcharov and Zhou Yu have all great backhands.

NextLevel
05-08-2017, 12:10 PM
Any answer other than Fan Zhendong at the current moment is purely a joke (Jike) right? There might be a few Liang Jingkuns and Karakasevic's and Jeoung Youngsiks out there, but there is only one FZD.

What I find really impressive is the overall global improvement in the level of backhand play. I'm legitimately pressed to find a top 50 player with a bad backhand loop these days with the plastic ball. I especially enjoy watching the top English players play with their backhands,

suds79
05-08-2017, 02:17 PM
Best Backhand: Kreanga, Tokic, Ovtcharov, Jimmy Butler and I guess FZD
Worst Backhand: Quadri Aruna

Now there's a way more interesting question thanks to you Lermanator. Who has the worse backhand?.. Among pros obviously.

It pains me to say this but I'm going to say Xu Xin. Quickly try to think when you've ever seen him in a backhand rally more than 2-3 hits in a row? I swear it's never happened. He will either have an error or say "forget this. I'm stepping around this ball."

Boogar
05-10-2017, 07:03 AM
hmmm the worst backhand... me!:

From the chinese top players id say Fang Bo, because he is using his forehand at the whole table like a madman :)

It's really hard to think of one of the top 50 players with a bad backhand.

NextLevel
05-10-2017, 10:23 AM
hmmm the worst backhand... me!:

From the chinese top players id say Fang Bo, because he is using his forehand at the whole table like a madman :)

It's really hard to think of one of the top 50 players with a bad backhand.

Quadri Aruna used to qualify easily. It is now mostly acceptable but still has strategic issues.

Matt Hetherington
05-10-2017, 12:51 PM
Karakasevic for sure, most variation and best backhand touch, full table coverage. True backhand dominant player. Also my training partner for this afternoon. Cho! :D

Flash Gordon
05-10-2017, 01:47 PM
i say karakasevic from serbia. what a feeling and great backhand

Archosaurus
05-10-2017, 02:32 PM
I'm gonna take a risk here and say that Karakasevic might have a block as good, or better than Waldner.

gmiller2233
09-25-2017, 03:23 PM
karakasevic backhand is pretty crazy. I'm surprised by the diversity of backhand shots definitely has the extreme backhand hook and a inside out topspin ball. Fun to watch.

NextLevel
09-25-2017, 04:12 PM
Lin Gaoyuan.

KM1976
09-25-2017, 04:14 PM
Karakasevic for sure, most variation and best backhand touch, full table coverage. True backhand dominant player. Also my training partner for this afternoon. Cho! :D

Matt, I envy you. Karakasevic is my idol and I really admire his game. Please can you say my 'Hi' to him once you meet him next. :)
Obviously I would like to know more about my favorite player. How he trains and what combination he uses.

Thanks,
KM1976

ttmonster
09-25-2017, 04:18 PM
From what I have heard, he does not need do a whole of physical training , he has tremendous touch and bust his chops when he was a kid to get to that level , Matt can tell more ... I have heard stories of how when the rest of the team is doing physical he would be off smoking somewhere and then come directly to the drilling session and blow everybody off the table :)

Matt, I envy you. Karakasevic is my idol and I really admire his game. Please can you say my 'Hi' to him once you meet him next. :)
Obviously I would like to know more about my favorite player. How he trains and what combination he uses.

Thanks,
KM1976

Ilia Minkin
09-25-2017, 05:20 PM
This has to be split into "Best close to the table backhand" and "Best long range backhand".

Baal
09-25-2017, 06:13 PM
The topic that never dies. ZJK, FZD, DO. All other backhands are deficient in some way.

Better add Wang Hao in his prime.

And Ilia makes a good point.

NextLevel
09-25-2017, 06:16 PM
Better add Wang Hao in his prime.

And Ilia makes a good point.

Oh, I was talking about players still playing today obviously. And Ma Long has done some work to make a credible claim for his current backhand to be on the list. But right now, I have a love affair with Lin Gaoyuan's backhand. Special stuff.

Matt Hetherington
09-25-2017, 06:44 PM

Thanks,
KM1976

He's a very hands-based player so he doesn't do much footwork, focuses a lot on close table countering or fixed position further back from the table. Also he does a lot of creative serve receive practice. I probably won't see him for a little while, I was training with his team in Ostrava at the time but now I'm back in the USA.

Matt Hetherington
09-25-2017, 06:46 PM
From what I have heard, he does not need do a whole of physical training , he has tremendous touch and bust his chops when he was a kid to get to that level , Matt can tell more ... I have heard stories of how when the rest of the team is doing physical he would be off smoking somewhere and then come directly to the drilling session and blow everybody off the table :)

Haha I won't get into his personal habits :P He told me when he was younger he was lazy and always used to get stuck when moving out to the wide forehand, so he would always come back in and play backhand off the forehand corner on the next ball - that was his answer when I asked him how he developed such a good backhand. Truth be told when I first met him he came across as quite intimidating but he's a very nice guy, he's very honest and straight up and he always says what he thinks. I really enjoyed spending time with him while I was in Czech.

ttmonster
09-25-2017, 07:01 PM
Thats what I heard too Matt .. .great scoop as always ! Any scoops on Korbel , Matt ?

Haha I won't get into his personal habits :P He told me when he was younger he was lazy and always used to get stuck when moving out to the wide forehand, so he would always come back in and play backhand off the forehand corner on the next ball - that was his answer when I asked him how he developed such a good backhand. Truth be told when I first met him he came across as quite intimidating but he's a very nice guy, he's very honest and straight up and he always says what he thinks. I really enjoyed spending time with him while I was in Czech.

ajtatosmano2
09-25-2017, 07:04 PM
Guys in the hungarian blade manufacture said that Karakasevic asked them to make a custom blade with x composite lyer (I remember 6 or more). They said that they can't use so much composite, because they would exceed the max. amount of non-natural materials. He said 'I don't care'. :D After that he's ended using an allwood blade because he said he needs more control/feeling.

KM1976
09-25-2017, 09:11 PM
Guys in the hungarian blade manufacture said that Karakasevic asked them to make a custom blade with x composite lyer (I remember 6 or more). They said that they can't use so much composite, because they would exceed the max. amount of non-natural materials. He said 'I don't care'. :D After that he's ended using an allwood blade because he said he needs more control/feeling.

If I am not wrong, I guess he is using a Stiga Carbonado 145 ST handle with Tenergy on both sides. But this is my best educated guess after watching him closely. Matt can correct me if I am wrong.

Cheers,
KM1976

KM1976
09-25-2017, 09:16 PM
He's a very hands-based player so he doesn't do much footwork, focuses a lot on close table countering or fixed position further back from the table. Also he does a lot of creative serve receive practice. I probably won't see him for a little while, I was training with his team in Ostrava at the time but now I'm back in the USA.

Thanks Matt, appreciate your quick response. He is a real treat to watch. Personally, I admire him for his control and wide pallette of shot selection. I have been following him like crazy and I noticed that top players avoided putting ball to his backhand. That speaks volumes about his talent.
I also saw one of his interviews while doing a YouTube search and he mentioned in that interview that he is lazy and he knows that he should be practicing more. I also remembered that the interviewer called him as "the best hands in Europe in table tennis". He is one of the very few players who can hit a backhand topspin while playing against choppers. So there you have it. I really wish that I get to meet him sometime and just tell him that how much his playing style has an influence on my learning process.

ajtatosmano2
09-26-2017, 09:03 AM
If I am not wrong, I guess he is using a Stiga Carbonado 145 ST handle with Tenergy on both sides. But this is my best educated guess after watching him closely. Matt can correct me if I am wrong.

Cheers,
KM1976

He likes messing with equipment. He used Killerspin Diamond, custom blades, some allwood blade, now Carbonado... This story takes place around the time the first plastic balls appeared.

Thomas Jeffcott
09-27-2017, 12:21 PM
Now Kreanga is playing again I will say Kreanga as my favourite ;), but best if we're being honest it has to be Ma Long or Fan Zhendong.

Overseer Kevin
09-28-2017, 07:14 AM
Backhand smash..... ME!
Backhand variety..... the guy Matt mentioned earlier from Serbia
Backhand rally.... Kreanga, Fan Zhendong , Lin Gaoyuan

Matt Hetherington
09-29-2017, 03:52 PM
Thats what I heard too Matt .. .great scoop as always ! Any scoops on Korbel , Matt ?

What do you want to know? haha he's a really awesome dude. I cancelled my flight from Prague to Dusseldorf before World Champs and went with him by car instead. There was a lot of loud music and fast speed once we got into Germany haha

suds79
09-29-2017, 04:04 PM
FZD - Best BH in the word. But we all knew that.

What you might not know is that Xue Fei has the best current RPB in the world. He's amazing. This is Wang Hao level type of BH we're talking here.

I rest my case

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3sjOfHomHnU

ttmonster
09-29-2017, 04:12 PM
Nice .. great guy ... wears his heart on his sleeve !

What do you want to know? haha he's a really awesome dude. I cancelled my flight from Prague to Dusseldorf before World Champs and went with him by car instead. There was a lot of loud music and fast speed once we got into Germany haha