French Open 2011

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2010
Did anyone of you watch that incredible SF between Federer and Djokovic last night?!
It was the best match I've seen in a while and since I'm a huge Fed fan I screamed my mind to the heavens :D :D
Long live the King :)
Roger will play Rafael Nadal in Sunday's final, a bad match-up for him but if he's able to play like yesterday everything's possible!

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2011
I watched it starting from the 3rd set. I actually never watch tennis, but from the commentary I could hear that it was a very special match haha. I don't like tennis attitude, all those unnecessary ballboys running and carrying towels, it creates an arrogant air. The sport is great though.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2010
He probably won't, but it has nothing to do with the match vs. Nole.
Rafa with his spinny forehand topspins(into his BH) is a horrible match-up for Roger.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2010
Yeah I was surprised to see federer win....

I loved watching federer like 4-5 years ago, when the angles of his forehand were unbelievable. His form now, is a far cry from that, but clearly he still is no slouch.

Djokovic has been playing incredible this year, and yeah, I don't think federer will have a chance of beating nadal in the finals.

On a side topic, due to Li Na winning the championship, probably 20K people in China will take up tennis because of this.

says hAHAHAHA THANX MATE :D
Mar 2011
I've been following the French open since the 1st day. You could see Nadal's & Fed's game getting better the further they went into the tourney. Previously Nadal's been hitting quite short, and later into the tourney, he began to find the length.
The Fed vs Novak match, I think novak got kinda frustrated coz Fed was willing to chase down everything that Novak threw at him. Against Del Potro, Novak got through but only just. Del Potro was not match fit (he was out nearly a year). But against the FedEx in the semis, he got no chance. Roger was going every shot, only to lose the 3rd set coz he was a lil passive, but Nadal picked up the tempo again in the fourth.
The final was excellent, in terms of the quality of shots played. I was hoping for a five setter, but in the fourth, Nadal found his inner demon, and suddenly it was Nadal 4/5 years ago.
I really hope that TT will be this sort of spectator sport one day, though I think it's not going to be in my life time. CAN'T WAIT FOR THE OLDEST TENNIS OPEN where they will all meet again, THE CHAMPIONSHIP...WIMBLEDON!!!!!!!! (use to live 10 mins walk to the club)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2011
I watched it starting from the 3rd set. I actually never watch tennis, but from the commentary I could hear that it was a very special match haha. I don't like tennis attitude, all those unnecessary ballboys running and carrying towels, it creates an arrogant air. The sport is great though.
Are you saying that ballboys are not needed!!. As for the towels, if you had been playing in hot conditions and for a long time with sweat dripping from you, I bet you would be pleased to have a towel brought to you instead of you having to go and get it yourself plus it saves time between the points. Its bad enough playing TT in hot conditions but in a shorter space of time so imagine playing tennis for over 3 hours.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2011
Are you saying that ballboys are not needed!!. As for the towels, if you had been playing in hot conditions and for a long time with sweat dripping from you, I bet you would be pleased to have a towel brought to you instead of you having to go and get it yourself plus it saves time between the points. Its bad enough playing TT in hot conditions but in a shorter space of time so imagine playing tennis for over 3 hours.

You are right but dont forget this. I play table tennis and tennis. And when I play table tennis in summer in my club its 28 degrees which is very hot. And I got alot more problems playing table tennis in this temperature than playing tennis outside in that temperature.

But you are right that when they have to play 3 hours and more that ballboys and towels brought by ballboys is really necessary. It saves lots of time and energy.

OT: I wanted federer to win !!!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2011
man federer was really luck he only won because of his first serve he was outplayed by djokovic in open play

Its like saying ma lin is a bad table tennis player because he only has a great serve...

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2010
Its like saying ma lin is a bad table tennis player because he only has a great serve...

haha, well thats far from all that Ma Lin has....

If only Roger had one that first set in the finals. His forehand, even though its not as good as it once was is still better than just about anyone out there. He puts a level of pace on it that just isn't matched. The problem with Roger now is that his highs, are still higher than just about anyone playing, its just that he can't stay in that high for long enough to beat Nadal on clay. Nadal is just solid all around and so his average form over the course of a match is higher than the average of Roger's. When Roger is on, he still plays at an amazing level, as shown by his win against Novak, and the first portion of the first set in the finals.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2011

Nono ballboys are definitely needed. What I was saying is that for me (I never watch tennis) it all had an arrogant air. The ballboys run so hard, even after some1 has just had an ace against and didn;t move at all :p. I got used to it in the end, but in the beginning it annoyed me. But I don't say it IS arrogant, I guess if they wouldn't need it they wouldnt do it.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2011
haha, well thats far from all that Ma Lin has....

If only Roger had one that first set in the finals. His forehand, even though its not as good as it once was is still better than just about anyone out there. He puts a level of pace on it that just isn't matched. The problem with Roger now is that his highs, are still higher than just about anyone playing, its just that he can't stay in that high for long enough to beat Nadal on clay. Nadal is just solid all around and so his average form over the course of a match is higher than the average of Roger's. When Roger is on, he still plays at an amazing level, as shown by his win against Novak, and the first portion of the first set in the finals.

yea he should of won the first set. How much was he leading? 4-1 ? 5-2? Can't believe he still lost that set.

To be honest I would play a completely different game and tactic against nadal as federer did. I would play a more risky game. Nadal often turns around his backhand to play a forehand, maybe he can play that ball straight down the line, which is of course very risky but you have to do something. I think they played 25 times vs eachother and federer only won 8 times.

Im sure the coaches and federer himself have gone through many tactics and stuff but to win only 8 times out of 25 is bad in my opinion. Nadal is great no question about it, but there must be something you can do against him. Maybe try to hit the high topspins of the bounce or something. Or maybe try to do the same thing and give high topspin balls aswell.

Federer's forehand is indeed amazing. He doesnt seem to put much effort in any of his strokes and goes so fluently and easy for him. To me he is the best and most talented player in the world, even tho nadal is better but thats all hard work and less talent. (dont get me wrong here, nadal is also very talented)

Mar 2011
Yup, it seems Rafaell is the main nemesis for Roger. It terms of playing style, Fed has this fluidity in his strokes compared to Rafael's. He times his shot perfectly, which reminds me a lot of players in the era of Sampras. Edberg, Cash, Wilander etc. The grace makes his shots look effortless. Rafael has tones of power, and even he miss timed a shot, it still would come out as a winner, and that's scary. It reminds me of Thomas Muster 20 yrs ago.

Rafael had problems with Novak in both clay finals, coz like Mcenroe said, Novak was hitting flattish(less top spin) only a couple of inches over the net, which reduces Rafael's reaction time(on clay,changing of directions is a major issue). And also Rafael's has yet to peak, like I said earlier, exceptional players peak just at the right time. And in finals, Rafael hit the high note with devastating effect. He found his length(depth of his shots) and moving way much better.