Racket for my play style?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2015
Hi,

I am having some issues with a new racket I bought and my play style. I am wondering if someone could offer some help. Basically my play style and experience can be described as follows:

I have played competitively (school, college and university) for close to 9 years. I have never had much formal coaching, just learnt by doing. My play style is kind of like this:

1) My biggest strength is forehand and I am mostly a flat hitter and driver of the ball. If you give me a ball even a few centimetres above the net, I will be able to land a fast powerful drive on it. I could do that stroke with balls with topspin or no spin.

2) I only use topspin when I need to that is, I am meeting the ball below net height or there is backspin on the ball. I mostly try to do a fast low topspiny loop on that ball, if possible. I also use topspin when I wish to be aggressive against serves (especially if they are long). I also like to do a flick shot on balls which are on the shorter side.

3) My backhand is blocking. I am learning more driving and topspin these days.

4) Overall, I play close to the table. I don't like slow prolonged rallies. I like to play fast and aggressive. And I love any opportunity to be aggressive with my flat hits on the forehand.

I used sriver rubbers with a JOOLA Rossi Power Light blade for many years. This racket was ok but I had found it quite slow and lacked power, so I had to generate all the speed and power by myself which was extremely exhausting. The rubbers were also dead after many years of play.

I took a break from playing table tennis and recently started again. I decided to upgrade my racket and did some research online. Tenergy 05 was a popular choice among pros and on forums. So I went for that along with a korbell off blade. (not the sk7 korbell, its the plain korbell off).

My experience after two sessions with this racket has been a bit weird. Firstly, I find it hard to smash the ball. Like the balls that I would have smashed to oblivion with my eyes closed, usually land off the table or go into the net. I also think, the ball stays on the racket for ever, which is kind of a weird experience. And I just can't do the flat hits with my forehand that I was used to, on a consistent basis. In a nutshell, I don't feel "in control" when executing a fast flat hit, whereas, previously, I didn't even have to think about it. In fact, often when I get a smashable ball, I feel nervous about going for it because I feel I will miss it.

I am wondering what has happened to my game. Is it the blade? or the rubber? or maybe I have just forgotten how to play the game? Or I need to get used to this racket more? Maybe it's just not the right choice for my style and needs? I could try and sell this racket and buy something which is more suitable for my style. From my own judgement, I was thinking if I go for an sk7 korbell (which is a harder blade then the korbell) maybe that might help. In terms of rubbers, I am not sure, maybe t64 may be a good choice? on the other hand I have found that t05 is easily the most popular choice among pros so there must be something to it? although a small minority also use the t64. Hope you can help me. thank you

Last edited:
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Hey rain, your described style is EXACTLY what Korean coaches get players to play early on in their career.

Coach usually selects some stiff, OFF+ blade and a control rubber (early gen tensor) for FH and have them go at training.

Generally, a player who prefers to hit (and DOESN'T use Short Pips) will want a low throw rubber on a fast/stiff blade.

Amazingly, such a rocket setup is perfectly controllable for HITTING (and blocking). it just isn't suitable for an allround flexible attacking topspin game, that is why coaches frown on such a setup.

I PM'd you about specific combos, but in general...

Blade: FAST thick OFF+ stiff blade

Rubber: Low throw FAST offensive rubber

Reactions: BeGo