What the name of his socks ?

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
You should know that those are National issue socks. You need to know the secret handshake to get ahold of those socks. And of course those socks help Ma Long's footwork. It's gotta be the socks.

Sent from the Oracle of Delphi by the Pythia

Last edited:
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Do you think that Ma Long changed to different socks after introduction of the new plastic ball to compensate for the reduced speed and spin?

Oh definitely. Those socks were designed for playing with the new Poly ball.

Reactions: Suga D
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2011
Read 14 reviews
Do you think that Ma Long changed to different socks after introduction of the new plastic ball to compensate for the reduced speed and spin?

Haha! Damn I haven't changed yet, can that explain why I still prefer the old ball??

This user has no status.
AIM:

The primary objective of this study was to test the aerodynamic properties of a selection of running and general sports socks.
METHODS AND PROCEDURES:

Eleven pairs of socks were tested in a specially constructed rig which was inserted into a fully calibrated wind tunnel. Wind test speeds included 3, 4, 5, 6, 12 and 45m/s.
RESULTS:

There was no significant difference between any of the socks tested for their aerodynamic properties. The drag coefficients calculated for each sock varied proportionally with the Reynolds number. No particular sock was more aerodynamic than any of the socks tested.
CONCLUSION:

There is no evidence that a sock that is "aerodynamically designed" will help an athlete go faster. This may be more product rhetoric than reality, and further work is justified if such claims are being made.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
AIM:

The primary objective of this study was to test the aerodynamic properties of a selection of running and general sports socks.
METHODS AND PROCEDURES:

Eleven pairs of socks were tested in a specially constructed rig which was inserted into a fully calibrated wind tunnel. Wind test speeds included 3, 4, 5, 6, 12 and 45m/s.
RESULTS:

There was no significant difference between any of the socks tested for their aerodynamic properties. The drag coefficients calculated for each sock varied proportionally with the Reynolds number. No particular sock was more aerodynamic than any of the socks tested.
CONCLUSION:

There is no evidence that a sock that is "aerodynamically designed" will help an athlete go faster. This may be more product rhetoric than reality, and further work is justified if such claims are being made.

However, the socks for the new Poly ball help you grab the ball better and get more spin!

Last edited:
Reactions: Suga D
ALL JOKES ASIDE, BUT TOP ATHLETIC SOCKS FOR SPORTS HAS THICK CUSHION AROUND THE PALM AND THE TOES AND THE HEEL OF THE SOCKS TO PREVENT BLISTERS , ALSO ABSORB LESS IMPACT. AT THE END OF THE DAY, THE TOP QUALITY HIGH PERFORMANCE SOCKS WILL KEEP YOUR FEET HAPPIER AND LESS BEATEN AFTER A DAY OF HARD TRAINING. ALSO ITS LABEL LEFT AND RIGHT LETTER ON THE SOCKS TOO :p . THIS IS WHAT I USED FOR HARD DAY OF TRAINING . IF U DONT BELIEVE ME TRY IT AND U WILL SEE THE RESULT :)

http://www.sportsauthority.com/product/index.jsp?productId=42624326

Last edited:
Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
Yes, they can help you until about the second time you wash them.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
ALSO ITS LABEL LEFT AND RIGHT LETTER ON THE SOCKS TOO :p . THIS IS WHAT I USED FOR HARD DAY OF TRAINING . IF U DONT BELIEVE ME TRY IT AND U WILL SEE THE RESULT :)

http://www.sportsauthority.com/product/index.jsp?productId=42624326

Yep, Nike Basketball socks are definitely good for playing table tennis. Hopefully they fit snugly "like a glove". With those and your shoe tied well and fitting just right, it is definitely better.

80429f97502b06b72e59624b6dd09df1.jpg

The first photo is on a bench in the NYC subway. But they look much better on. So here is another photo where you can see my glamorous feet.

f228874cd06ae9add69d39e58b74f5fa.jpg

I never thought it mattered till I tried those. I do believe they are the best sport sock for table tennis.

But you can see that mine are in fact the Special Pro Version that has been boosted to high hell in the Butterfly lab where they boost the pro models of Butterfly rubbers, socks and underwear.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ilia Minkin
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2015
Read 1 reviews
BTW, through a secret handshake I heard that Butterfly has initated the development of so called "spring fabric" for the table tennis socks. The fabric has little bubbles of air inside, so the fabric acts like a spring. When you land on your feet after you made a step, the fabric first contracts, and then decompresses because of the "spring" effect. This way, the energy is not lost, and the decompression of the socks allows for a faster next step. Closed testing with the Japanese national team showed increase of the footwork speed by ~10%. Some people argue, though, that it will be banned by ITTF :(

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl