Chinese Rubber vs European Rubbers. What are the key differences?

This user has no status.
Chinese rubbers produce more 'topsheet' spin and euro/jap rubbers produce 'mechanical' spin. Chinese rubbers are better for looping, but even the Chinese smash with Euro/Jap rubbers. If you watch closely the likes of Fan Zhendong, Ma Long, Zhang Jike and Yan An all switch to their red side to Tenergy to flat smash the ball when it is lobbed :)

Reactions: Dan and ronz91
This user has no status.
Chinese rubbers produce more 'topsheet' spin and euro/jap rubbers produce 'mechanical' spin. Chinese rubbers are better for looping, but even the Chinese smash with Euro/Jap rubbers. If you watch closely the likes of Fan Zhendong, Ma Long, Zhang Jike and Yan An all switch to their red side to Tenergy to flat smash the ball when it is lobbed :)

Can you explain what you mean by mechanical spin? (I think you mean spin which is generated by the stroke mechanics rather than grazing the ball and using a lot of wrist, ie topsheet spin). Also which brands of rubbers are Japanese?

This user has no status.
butterfly is a typical japanese rubber brand, a lot of euro moddern rubbers are all made in the same factory with the same technology (ESN) like tibhar, donic, joola, andro and even xiom from korea. the topsheet is grippy and it grabs the ball through friction while the sponge produces most of the spin. this means the ball has to sink deep into the rubber if you want to produce a powerful loop.

chinese rubbers have a sticky (tacky) topsheet so they grip the ball even without it sinking deep into the rubber. however, they also have a harder sponge compared to euro/jap rubbers. a harder sponge rubber has more potential to produce power but you have to commit to the shot and put a lot of power into it or the result will be poor.

it can get tricky when looking at brands because some chinese brands have euro type rubbers (LKT Pro XP) and some euro brands have chinese type rubbers (Donic Akkadi Taichi).

This user has no status.
butterfly is a typical japanese rubber brand, a lot of euro moddern rubbers are all made in the same factory with the same technology (ESN) like tibhar, donic, joola, andro and even xiom from korea. the topsheet is grippy and it grabs the ball through friction while the sponge produces most of the spin. this means the ball has to sink deep into the rubber if you want to produce a powerful loop.

chinese rubbers have a sticky (tacky) topsheet so they grip the ball even without it sinking deep into the rubber. however, they also have a harder sponge compared to euro/jap rubbers. a harder sponge rubber has more potential to produce power but you have to commit to the shot and put a lot of power into it or the result will be poor.

it can get tricky when looking at brands because some chinese brands have euro type rubbers (LKT Pro XP) and some euro brands have chinese type rubbers (Donic Akkadi Taichi).

Where does 729 Focus 3 Snipe fall in this spectrum?

Dan

says editing a big TTD Team episode... stay tuned 👀

Dan

Administrator
Aug 2010
Read 72 reviews
Nice topic guys. @Giangt is good at covering this topic. From a technical point of view also, using a Chinese rubber you have to brush the ball more to produce the spin and accuracy on the table. Whereas a Euro rubber you can go more forward and the rubber naturally grabs the ball producing spin as you contact. This is what I have found when I go from a Japanese rubber to a Chinese Tacky rubber.

Reactions: ronz91
This user has no status.
Nice topic guys. @Giangt is good at covering this topic. From a technical point of view also, using a Chinese rubber you have to brush the ball more to produce the spin and accuracy on the table. Whereas a Euro rubber you can go more forward and the rubber naturally grabs the ball producing spin as you contact. This is what I have found when I go from a Japanese rubber to a Chinese Tacky rubber.

Yeah that seems to be the general consensus Dan (y). Have you played with 729 Focus 3 Snipe by any chance?

Dan

Dan

Administrator
Aug 2010
Read 72 reviews
Yeah that seems to be the general consensus Dan (y). Have you played with 729 Focus 3 Snipe by any chance?

I have not i'm afraid. Any good? I have recently reviewed the DHS Hurricane 8 and will publish it next week. It really made me notice the differences between Euro and Chinese rubbers :)

This user has no status.
I have not i'm afraid. Any good? I have recently reviewed the DHS Hurricane 8 and will publish it next week. It really made me notice the differences between Euro and Chinese rubbers :)

I use it on both FH and BH. Its great for the price(10 pounds).Look forward to watching it

Last edited: