Liu Guoliang Announces Basic Line Up - Rio Olympic Team!

This August will see the spectacular Rio Olympic Games with many table tennis fans currently speculating who the formidable Chinese National Team will be. Liu Guoliang has disclosed a basic line up which you can find out below!

chinateamsuits2015.jpg

Men Team Line Up - Photo by: Remy Gros

Players going to the Rio Olympics will need to go through the Olympic Asian Qualifier system which begins on April 13th-17th in Hong Kong. Each National Association can submit up to 4 players to compete in the qualification tournament.

Liu Guoliang has released his basic starting line up for the Olympic Qualification Tournament. The players he disclosed are:

Men

Ma Long
Zhang Jike
Xu Xin
Fan Zhendong

Women

Ding Ning
Liu Shiwen
Li Xiaoxia
Zhu Yuling

Who did you think will be the CNT Olympic Team?

Throwback to London 2012!

Like and tweet our articles to the World. Lets spread the word of Table Tennis.
Source: TableTennisTa
TableTennisDaily

What a surprise the actual 4 best table tennis players in the world will play the qualify haha

Sent from my 2014819 using Tapatalk

There has been much debate about whether the CNT would leave players out to ensure they could select the two that were sent to the Olympics. The article clears that selection up. It wasn't obvious to many that 4 best would be sent but I do think this is fairest way to do it.

I'd personally most like to see Xu Xin make the cut and ultimately win the Olympics on the basis that he is the most likeable of the Chinese bunch. I think the combination of Zhang Jike and Fan Zhendong would be the most exciting to see (the teenage wonder and the reigning champion), and I think Ma Long is the most deserving of a place at the Olympics.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2016
I don't think LI Xiao Xia will make it. CHEN Meng will replace her. either she'll win her place with her results, or LI will be injured anyway.

I do like LI very much, she's athletic, has the most power I believe, but it seems she's lacking a bit of motivation and facing difficulties with her body...

and she's a beautiful amazon :)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2011
Read 7 reviews
The question is.. They are all 4 going to the qualify. Both men and women.
How will the selection proceed?
Only winner of the qualification will be qualified?
Or how exactly this works?
For example, Ma Long wins this beating Fan Zhendong in the final.
Xu Xin and Zhang are out in semifinals.
What happens now?

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
The question is.. They are all 4 going to the qualify. Both men and women.
How will the selection proceed?
Only winner of the qualification will be qualified?
Or how exactly this works?
For example, Ma Long wins this beating Fan Zhendong in the final.
Xu Xin and Zhang are out in semifinals.
What happens now?

Only 2 can qualify. Then the third qualifier will be selected based on world ranking in the May world rankings.

The third qualifier will only be eligible to compete in the Olympic team event.

The two that qualify in the Asian qualification tournament will play in the Olympic singles event.

Sent from Deep Space by Abacus

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2011
Read 7 reviews
Only 2 can qualify. Then the third qualifier will be selected based on world ranking in the May world rankings.

The third qualifier will only be eligible to compete in the Olympic team event.

The two that qualify in the Asian qualification tournament will play in the Olympic singles event.

This all I know!
But how do they get qualified?

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
This all I know!
But how do they get qualified?

I think there are rounds. Someone wins the first round, they qualify first. Someone wins the second round, they qualify second. I believe, once China has two qualified, then the other two have to drop from the rest of the event.

So, I believe it will be like the Asian qualification event where Koki Niwa beat Ma Long to be the first qualifier from Asia in 2012 and then Ma Long won the second round to be the second qualifier.

Only difference was, they were trying to qualify to be the third man back then. The first two spots were selected by world ranking. So they decided to turn that around and make it so that the first two spots were the ones that had to win the spot by competitive event.