The spectacular Asian Qualification Tournament for Rio Olympics 2016 has commenced! The men's competition has been fierce with some unexpected results, including Chuang Chih Yuan eliminating Xu Xin! In the first stage of the event world number 1 proved his worth booking a place to Rio de Janeiro with a victory over Fan Zhendong in the final.

You can watch highlights unfold below:

malongkuwaitopen2016.jpg

Ma Long books a place to Rio! - Photo by: ITTF Flickr

The Asian Qualifications are an extremely tough, on route to the final Ma Long faced arch rival Zhang Jike in the semi finals. In a great exchange Ma Long prevailed winning by 4 sets to 1. In the final of the East Asia Zone Ma Long defeated compatriot Fan Zhendong with scores 16-18, 11-3, 11-6, 11-7, 13-11 to book his place to Rio.

In an interview with ITTF Ma Long expressed, "It was a challenging task playing three matches in one day. I am satisfied with my performance against Fan Zhendong in the final, but I did not think there wasn't anything really outstanding".

Congratulations to Ma Long booking a ticket to Rio! You can follow all the latest action from the Asian Olympic Qualifications on TTD here. For all the latest videos from this spectacular qualification even check out our media library.

Like and tweet our articles to the World. Lets spread the word of Table Tennis.

TableTennisDaily

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2011
[ Full Matches in Short Form ]

# STAGE 1 (Men's Final) [MA vs FAN] [=> 1st ticket!]

#
STAGE 1 (Men's Semifinal) [MA vs ZHANG]