Yesterday on the 16th August the formidable Chinese team were crowed Olympic team champions with a convincing win over Germany.
chinawolympicchamps.jpg

China's Ding Ning, Li Xioaxia and Liu Shiwen with their gold medals - Via ITTF Flickr

Gold Medal Match: China vs Germany

In the opening match London 2012 Olympic Champion Li Xiaoxia met Han Ying. Li who is a women of sheer determination and will is the first choice for China's coach Kong Linghui. A good choice for Team China as Xiaoxia posted a 3-0 victory over Han Ying.

In the second match current world number 1 Liu Shiwen faced Germany's Petrissa Solja. Liu delivers her lighting fast high efficiency which Solja struggled to keep up with. Shiwen won in 3 straight sets (11-3, 11-5, 11-4)

In the third match Rio Olympic Champion Ding Ning paired up with Liu Shiwen in the doubles and took on Shan Xiaona and Petrissa Solja. Ding Ning Liu won the first two sets 11-6 and 11-5 with play looking promising in the third set for Team Germany. Solja and Shan won the third set 11-9 however couldn't manage a fourth set losing 11-7.

China defend their GOLD medal. A fantastic achievement for for Germany, they will much treasure their SILVER medal for long long to come. The medalists below are as follows:

China - GOLD; Germany - SILVER and Japan - BRONZE... and Singapore 4th.

womensfinalrio20161.jpg

Li Xiaoxia who announced her retirement after winning gold expressed in an interview with the iTTF: We are so happy and we would like to thank all our coaches, support staff and colleagues and everyone who helped us achieve this dream. I want to say a big thanks to the spectators for their support. I played the opening match today which made me slightly nervous, it was also my first time playing Han Ying and I was not 100% familiar with the spin she produced on the ball. However my confidence from playing previous defenders got me through the match."

Photos from the final via ITTF Flickr

womensfinalrio20162.jpg

womensfinalrio20163.jpg

womensfinalrio20164.jpg

womensfinalrio20165.jpg

womensfinalrio20165.jpg

Men's Team Final Schedule:

The Men's Bronze Medal Match and Gold Medal Match are today on the 17th August.

Bronze Medal Match: Germany vs Korea (Local Time: 11am)
Gold Medal Match: China vs Jpan (Local Time: 7.30pm)

Follow the live scoring of the men's team bronze and gold medal match on TTD including live stream links here: http://www.tabletennisdaily.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?13650-Rio-Olympics-2016-(Team-Event)/page19

Like and tweet our articles to the World. Lets spread the word of Table Tennis.
Written by TTD User: samsara
TableTennisDaily