Tomokazu Harimoto Becomes Youngest World Junior Champion Of All Time!

The 13 year old boy wonder has done it! Tomokazu Harimoto becomes the youngest ever Junior Boys World Champion in Cape Town, South Africa!

tomokazuharimotoyoungestever.jpg

Tomokazu Harimoto falls to the floor in celebration! - Photo by: ITTF Flickr!

The young Japanese superstar Harimoto, who burst onto the scene last year by beating multiple senior world top 100 players, defied the odds again by becoming the youngest ever player to win the world junior championships. The previous record was set way back in 2006 by Harimoto’s Japanese compatriot Kenta Matsudaira who was 15 at the time.

In the final Tomokazu Harimoto faced a tough test against an inform Cho Seungmin fresh off victories in both the boys and mixed doubles finals. Cho Seungmin, who is 5 years Harimoto’s elder, stormed into an early 2-0 lead. Harimoto quickly levelled the match and then pulled ahead, going 3-2 up. Seungmin then re-levelled the match to take the final into a nerve wracking 7th and final set. The vocal youngster Harimoto upped his game again in the deciding set, taking it 11-7.

Tomokazu had this to say after the match in an interview with the ITTF:

“I was shouting to psyche myself up because this is the first and the last chance for me to win the title and I didn’t want to lose it. It was a difficult title for me to win in South Africa. The fact that I am the youngest player to win a world title never crossed my mind but I am so excited that I set this new record as the youngest in table tennis to win a world title”

What an incredible achievement, winning the 2016 World Junior Championships! For all the latest news, results and videos from the Junior Championships click here. To catch up on all the latest highlighted matches from the World Champs visit our Media Library.

Like and tweet our articles to the World. Lets spread the word of Table Tennis.
Written by: Thomas Jeffcott
TableTennisDaily

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
Not a loser's approach.

People should not need to be forced into having manners and being respectful. And manners should be had win or lose....especially for a kid in Japan where these values are important.

Guess you haven't seen how quiet he is when he lose points or lose games or matches
Beat the guy fair and square
Arm chair critics is losers approach
Winners approach is to not give him chance to scream - don't allow him to win points (or maybe you teach children otherwise)

This noise pollution is all part of the game nowadays, started in Europe if I recall.

And taking about respect, I guess you also have seen this noisy kid never scream during match point.
Straight after the win, he is a very respectable kid
Out side the playing area, he is a good kid too
But I guess armchair critics will only comment on what is on ittv

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
I'd say it's just his age. I guess we can agree kids can be like that but most of them settle down as they grow.

I just wonder how close is he to his potential ability. Can he become a great threat to the Chinese or reach his full potential and settle around top 10-20?

Yep, I also think it is an age thing.
Also his personality too
Time will tell if this noise pollution continue, but this is sport - adapt or drop out.
No spoon feeding or gold platters.

He is still pretty weak in power and strength.
I would say give him till 17/18 and when he gets bigger (i hope) and stronger, his game would tell how the next 5 years after that will do for him.

At the moment, he rely on getting the ball back and getting opponent making mistakes
He can't really outkill his opponent by power yet

Guess you haven't seen how quiet he is when he lose points or lose games or matches
Beat the guy fair and square….

…. And taking about respect, I guess you also have seen this noisy kid never scream during match point.
Straight after the win, he is a very respectable kid
Out side the playing area, he is a good kid too

I have seen the above. But one doesn’t get credit for NORMAL behavior. I’m not going to award kudos to someone for not being a jerk, because that’s how they should act. For example, Not beating one’s child, does not make them a good parent. Besides, there are a ton of good players who are humble, respectful, and winners.

Arm chair critics is losers approach
Winners approach is to not give him chance to scream - don't allow him to win points (or maybe you teach children otherwise)

To be frank, this sounds like macho nonsense. I don’t think it’s unreasonable to expect people to act respectably or gentlemanly. A winners approach could also be to act like you’ve been there before, and treat the win like any other game. Only habitual losers need to over-celebrate. Winners find it to be normal operating procedure.

This noise pollution is all part of the game nowadays, started in Europe if I recall.
This doesn’t make it okay. Moreover, if we just accept it as the norm, it will become the norm. This is why those who disagree with this, should make it known they disapprove. This goes for all sports, not just TT.

But I guess armchair critics will only comment on what is on ittv
I will comment to my opponents to their face. The “Armchair critic” label is cute, with it's insulting intent, but the truth is none of us are likely to face Tomokazu to “not give him a chance to scream” so anyone who objects to his behavior is likely to be an "armchair critic." But if we did get a chance to get walloped by the kid, I think it’s reasonable to expect him to behave like a respectful person. Trust me, I will not hesitate to call someone out for over-cho’ing or being obnoxious to their face. I saw your original post where it stated something about how I teach my kids, I suppose that got edited. But yes the values I impart are to act like a pro, be a pro, win or lose...full stop.

I’m sure he’s a good kid in general, but we are speaking of his behavior during in-match situations. His behavior off the court is not what is being discussed here.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Dear God I just want to punch that cho-ing little obnoxious ****er in the face.

I'm calling dibs for 2nd place in that line to take my shot. :)

Kinda surprised at some of the following posts after this. Nobody here will ever play this kid or most likely someone 1/2 as obnoxious. I think if any of us did we'll all kinda chuckle "are you for real dude?".

Can we simply not like or root for a professional athlete because we think he makes an @$$ clown out of himself? That's where I stand on him. IMO it masks his talent sadly.

one simple sentence
this choing is tactical
With you getting so emotional, you have fallen into the trap lol
Funny, I wonder how you can tell my emotion from reading words on a website. You must have supernatural powers of perception.

I assure you I am cold as ice - calm as I typed that post. I can object to poor behavior without letting it affect me emotionally. I have played football (American), hockey, and MMA and trash talking in those sports dwarf anything heard in TT, believe me. By comparison, Cho’ing is small potatoes. Still, my opinion on the matter is unchanged.

RE: Tactical
Lots of things that are deplorable are tactical. Intentionally causing injury, intentional fouls in basketball, flopping to get the refs to give you a call, etc etc. During a game, it’s not an issue, but after the game or as a spectator, I don’t have to agree with it, nor do I think it has honor and integrity.

Any other pearls you’d care to share?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
I'd say it's just his age. I guess we can agree kids can be like that but most of them settle down as they grow.

I think if someone is waiting for him to stop choing because he's older all of a sudden will be sadly disappointed. This is who he is. He will be doing this entire professional career.

I'm calling dibs for 2nd place in that line to take my shot. :)

Kinda surprised at some of the following posts after this. Nobody here will ever play this kid or most likely someone 1/2 as obnoxious. I think if any of us did we'll all kinda chuckle "are you for real dude?".

Can we simply not like or root for a professional athlete because we think he makes an @$$ clown out of himself? That's where I stand on him. IMO it masks his talent sadly.

EXACTLY.

Perfect example...take Richard Sherman from Seattle. I will never say he's a bad player, nor will I say he's a bad person outside of football. But his behavior during the game and during interviews are why I dislike him.
This is how he behaved after winning:

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2014
Read 3 reviews
While I don't like the choing at all and wished he didn't do it I think you guys are being a bit harsh. From what I've seen he doesn't cho on nets or edges and is generally respectful. I doubt he chos out of disrespect for his opponent even if it might seem like that. Again, I don't like it and definitely don't like the choing right before his opponents serve and wished there was some rule in order for that not to happen.

I'm assuming most of you are either in your late teens or adults and I find it pretty immature that some of you feel like you want to punch a kid in the face because of his choing. Again, he is a kid.. would be different if he was a full grown adult. As one of you said, it would be like are you actually doing this right now? Does that mean it's okay? No of course not, but it getting to you that much that you feel like you want to punch a kid in the face, really?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
While I don't like the choing at all and wished he didn't do it I think you guys are being a bit harsh. From what I've seen he doesn't cho on nets or edges and is generally respectful. I doubt he chos out of disrespect for his opponent even if it might seem like that. Again, I don't like it and definitely don't like the choing right before his opponents serve and wished there was some rule in order for that not to happen.

I'm assuming most of you are either in your late teens or adults and I find it pretty immature that some of you feel like you want to punch a kid in the face because of his choing. Again, he is a kid.. would be different if he was a full grown adult. As one of you said, it would be like are you actually doing this right now? Does that mean it's okay? No of course not, but it getting to you that much that you feel like you want to punch a kid in the face, really?

To your first paragraph, no he doesn't get a pass here. Watch the video posted in this thread. I knew it wouldn't take long for this to happen. Back to back points at 0:25 & 0:29 seconds in. he loudly chos at simple errors. That's bad form in my book.

Now onto your second paragraph. I'm 37 for the record. Man can you not take a joke? Do you like to have fun? You think I really want to assault some kid? Lighten up a little man. I'll do you a favor and let the cat out of the bag and forewarn you that everybody here who talks about in this thread about wanting to b!tch slip him, kick him in the n#ts, etc are just kidding. It's just another way of saying "I'm not a fan of him." Relax.

Now onto your second paragraph. I'm 37 for the record. Man can you not take a joke? Do you like to have fun? You think I really want to assault some kid? Lighten up a little man. I'll do you a favor and let the cat out of the bag and forewarn you that everybody here who talks about in this thread about wanting to b!tch slip him, kick him in the n#ts, etc are just kidding. It's just another way of saying "I'm not a fan of him." Relax.

Although, for the record, I WOULD like to bitch-slap Richard Sherman in the video above. :p

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2014
Read 3 reviews
To your first paragraph, no he doesn't get a pass here. Watch the video posted in this thread. I knew it wouldn't take long for this to happen. Back to back points at 0:25 & 0:29 seconds in. he loudly chos at simple errors. That's bad form in my book.

I obviously know that you wouldn't actually want to do that haha. From the looks of things it seems to be getting to you quite a bit, hence that comment.
I'm very relaxed, you're the one that's letting this kid choing get to you way too much, in my opinion :). As I said, I agree with you. The choing is annoying and too much on certain points like the ones you pointed out.