Liu Guoliang's Impressions On The New 2017 DHS Plastic Ball!

The China Trials for the 2017 World Championships have commenced. The best players from China are all battling for the 5 spots up for grabs for TEAM CHINA at the upcoming World Championships in Dusseldorf this June. The trials are currently using the new DHS 3* 40+ plastic balls that will be used this year in many of the upcoming World Events. For more details on the China Trials visit here.

liuguoliangplasticball2017dhs.jpg

Liu Guoliang leading the China Trials - Photo by: Credit in photo

DHS claim the new 2017 Plastic Ball (40+) is probably the worlds roundest ball and has been develop with a different process and the material is bouncer. The ball is currently being used at the China Trials for WTTC this month.

Liu Guoliang expressed, "We have tested the new DHS balls for a while. The difference is quite significant, mainly with less spin and more speed. It is better for game play and rallies. From these matches we see lots of strong top spin counters. Especially on the strong backhand exchange and balance between backhand and forehand. It gives more advantage to fierce attacking style players like Fan Zhendong, Liang Jing Kun and Xu Chenhao. On the other hand players that depends on control and soft touch will suffer.

Now players may feel the change and difference in spin is big. But I believe when giving enough time, especially after World Table Tennis Championships, they will find the feeling of the new ball. After increasing the power, the spin will come back. The playing standard should return to normal. It may cause some shaking in the beginning, but all will go back as normal and the new ball won't change the scene of Table Tennis. "

From 2017 the China National Team have been using the new DHS ABS ball (D40+) which Liu Guoliang said the difference is pretty significant. Liu Guoliang also said he is not totally satisfied with the performance of FZD and XX with some unexpected losses and lacking the winning spirit, even they rank 1st and 2nd. Also the only penholder is showing its age and risk falling out. Let's see how Liu Guoliang can help him transform once again.

Watch Xu Xin vs Fan Zhendong in the highlights below via TTLondon2012:

Fan Zhendong said that his first task is to adapt to the new ball fast.

fanliu.jpg

For all the latest news, results and videos from the China Trials for World Championships 2017 click here. To watch all the latest highlighted matches visit our Video Library.

Like and tweet our articles to the World. Lets spread the word of Table Tennis.
TableTennisDaily

says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
The one unfortunate thing is that the CNT will have lots of time to adjust to this thing before anyone else, as if they need any extra advantages.

On the other hand, if it is like a Nittaku Premium, that is the solution for training.

Anyway, I hope it is good.

Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
Also seems to run a bit counter to everything else the ITTF seems to want to do.

I guess we will all know what he means when we actually try them.

If they are like Nittaku Premiums, I will be happy.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2016
according to liu, for example Timo Boll could suffer. not that nice ;(

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2012
Read 1 reviews
Interesting that Liu speaks so open about it, I was expecting some dhs forced praising. It sucks though that ittf's attempts to make the rallies more interesting will lose some of table tennis diversity

Basically,

He didnt seem to give an actual F.

"Now players may feel the change and difference in spin is big. But I believe when giving enough time, especially after World Table Tennis Championships, they will find the feeling of the new ball. After increasing the power, the spin will come back."

sdsdsdsdsds

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2012
Read 1 reviews
Its like saying "well players will train harder and produce more power eventually more spin and we will still be dominant"

It will be interesting to see how ZJK XX and ML adapt, FZD and LJK are definitely killing every shot given the chance. Topspin rallies are great but players who rely on their opening shots advantages will definitely find it difficult to change their game. Creative play with serves, opening pushes and flicks becomes of less importance, its a pity

says Fair Play first
says Fair Play first
Jan 2012
Mr. Karsai, a renowned table tennis coach of great sagacity, is speaking on the future development of the plastic balls.

• The Interviewer: Yeah. When I talk
    to coaches from China, they told
    that this ball is not good for
    Chinese.

Ferenc Karsai: I think also. They
    didn't talk about it, but I feel this
    also.

The Interviewer: Yeah. They said
    that this ball has less rotation and
    last year, they paid a lot for
    mastering this topspin game. Now,
    they have less spin, more speed.
    It's not really benefit for Chinese.

Ferenc Karsai: Yes. Also, they lost in
    Asia again already. They lost now in
    the world championship, also
    Zhang Jike lost. It's not, looks like
    that not easy for them.

The Interviewer: If we come back to
    plastic ball, is it opportunity for you
    to try something new? Do you like,
    or you stay with the old ball batter?

Ferenc Karsai: That is very difficult,
    if you learn the table tennis like,
    very good rotation and this, and
    after coming the plastic, after you
    must find a solution, small
    changing for this plastic ball. I think
    is not finish, this plastic ball. Maybe
    in the future, they find better
    quality, but not too hard, because I
    think that countries like China, also
    they say their opinion. They
    produce almost the plastic balls
    90%. After they can find a good
    balls for universal table tennis, not
    only the fast table tennis. I think it's
    not finished, this project, the balls.

The Interviewer: So you hope
    that the plastic ball will..

Ferenc Karsai: That is not finished.
    They will really improve.

The Interviewer: They will improve.

Ferenc Karsai: Yes, I think so...

Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
It should be mentioned that the very first time Dima Ovtcharov tried the DHS plastic ball, he liked it very much. Also, former professional players I know love the Nittaku Premium (and the D40+ also when I gave them some).

https://www.tabletennisdaily.co.uk/...rij-Ovtcharov-happy-with-the-new-DHS-ABS-ball!

Of course, if manufacturers can make the new balls even better, that would be great, but the fact is that it was ITTF that insisted on sneaking in an increase in ball size and weight when they mandated a change to plastic (owing to a "a worldwide cessation of celluloid production" that didn't actually exist). When TT balls are a full 1.0 mm greater in diameter, and around 0.07-.10 grams heavier, they will always behave differently.

At least the DHS D40+ and Nittaku Premium ABS balls are round, they bounce the same height as celluloid, and consistently, which is marked contrast to all of the cellulose acetate 40+ balls rushed to market in 2014, which were a crime against table tennis. The DHS D40+ balls are also very durable and inexpensive.

Finally, it doesn't seem like Chinese players had any problem adapting to the ABS balls at Dusseldorf, which had some of the best matches I have ever seen, including an epic final between Ma Long and FZD. I think some of the complaining from Chinese quarters right after the Asian TTC was cover-your-ass excuses for a rare bad tournament, which ironically became completely moot after the strange events of the China Open.