After an unbelievable 2018 we currently have a 15 year old World number 3. This is of course no ordinary 15 year old, this is Tomokazu Harimoto! With some people tipping him to be a future GOAT, here he is becoming the youngest World Tour Grand Finals Men’s Singles Champion in 2018.

harimototweets2019.jpg

This time last year Tomokazu Harimoto was ranked at number 11 in the world at only 14 years of age and dreaming of breaking into the top 10 in the world. After some incredible achievements for a player of any age including beating world number 1 Fan Zhendong 3-2 in the Asian Games last year, how far can Harimoto go? Not to mention Harimoto also defeated Ma Long and Zhang Jike in 2018!

At the beginning of the year Harimoto tweeted:

tomokazuharimototwitter.jpg

The translation states – “I’ve managed to place 3rd in the World Rankings! I’m extremely happy but am not yet fully satisfied. I’m aiming to place 1st by January 2020. I am forever thankful for my Father who supports me daily and will work as hard as I can to achieve this!”

With Harimoto firmly throwing down the gauntlet saying he is not yet satisfied and wants to be number 1 is there anybody who can stop him?

It wasn’t long ago when Harimoto first arrived on the International Senior circuit at the age of just 11 defeating high rated players such as Jens Lundvist and Omar Assar! Knocking out to experienced players who were both in the top 100 of the world at just the age of 11 pushed Harimoto firmly in to the limelight.

harimotoomarassar.jpg

Harimoto is now leading the new generation in the plastic ball era and the Chinese dominance of the sport looks under threat. The WTTC are coming up in April in Budapest, Hungary. Throw into the mix an Olympic Games in Tokyo, Japan in 2020 and we have an exciting 18 months ahead for Table Tennis fans. TableTennisDaily will be following Harimoto’s rise closely. Watch this space!

TableTennisDaily

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Read 3 reviews
Definitely likely especially with Fan's new low. Xu Xin (the only Chinese player who hasn't lost to Harimoto) is getting older and slower.

For Harimoto, I could see noticeable improvement every 3 months in 2018. At this rate I can't see anyone in the top 10 can beat Harimoto.

Wang Chuqin stands a chance against Harimoto. He reminds me of the young Zhang Jike but his desire to win is still very mellow compared to Harimoto's. Apart from Wang Chuqin and Fan Zhendong nobody in the new generation can stand a chance.

This user has no status.
Definitely likely especially with Fan's new low. Xu Xin (the only Chinese player who hasn't lost to Harimoto) is getting older and slower.

For Harimoto, I could see noticeable improvement every 3 months in 2018. At this rate I can't see anyone in the top 10 can beat Harimoto.

Wang Chuqin stands a chance against Harimoto. He reminds me of the young Zhang Jike but his desire to win is still very mellow compared to Harimoto's. Apart from Wang Chuqin and Fan Zhendong nobody in the new generation can stand a chance.
Well he just lost to Oshima at the Japan Nationals..