TableTennisDaily Interview

madrid_30_07_10_Large.jpg

Photo by: Fernando Aquilar

Full Name: Marcos Madrid Mantilla
Born in: 1986
Height: 176 cm
Club represented: Caen TTC France
Highest World Ranking: 230

Equipment: Butterfly (Timo Boll Spirit - Tenergy 05 both sides)

Your career

How long have you been playing table tennis for, when did you start?
14 years ago

Who has been the biggest influence on your career?
My father helped me all the time to progress in this sport because he always helped me in everything.

BollForte94 from table tennis daily wants to know what do you practice the most. Do you have a cetain training rechime each week or does it alter?
I like to practice service then free table. This is because its a simulation of a real match and keeps my concentracion maintained like in a match type situation.

Do you serve practice often?
I try to practice service 4 or 5 times a week its very important becuase its the first ball played in a match.

Your a very successful international star now, what do you feel was your biggest achievement to date?
I think it started when i became mexican champion when i was 16. After that i started to have good international results and it went of from there really. I beat the world Junior Champion at the time kenta matsudaira in 2007 and some other good players. Not so far away my best result was being champion of Centroamerican games and Caribe 2010.

Ok, maybe you don't like looking back to this but what was your biggest low in your career?
When I lost the olympic final qualificacion in 2008. I was leading 9 - 7 in the last set againt dexter saint louis. I thought about this loss every day for months.

Are you looking forward to the 2012 Olympics?
Yes, I think thats my goal now and my dream to go once in my life time to the olympics games. To be part of the London Olympics would be unimaginable!

TerIphik - Hi Marcos, I would like to know if the material (rubbers and blades) of professional players is the same to the same material as we (nonprofessional) buy in table tennis shops?
I think sometimes, maybe it’s a little diferent im not to sure, but the equipment i use is from butterfly online. Im one of the players they sponsor. Timo Boll and others are included in the list, so weather he gets different Tenergy then me im not to sure

Do you use booster to enhance your rubber?
Hahah maybe...

lesliefrancs - HI Marcos, Is pursuing a life towards TT worth the rewards? and does playing TT full time effect your personal life?
Yes, and yes. Table tennis, sometimes you cant have the normal life, for me its living out of my country far from my family, friends but that’s the route I need to take to follow my dream.

Do you run every day?
Not every day but I try to make it 3 or 4 times a week.

GecaPhoenix from youtube wants to know what's your view on the chinese dominance at the moment, Why are they so good do you belive?
Yes they are the best. They are going to continue to be the best because they really have all the things to improve, coaches, players, practice.
They practice every day since they are 6 years old, 8 hours per day and full concentracion for one outcome. To be the best in there nation! Thus, the best in the world!

Leankints wants to know do you train on the mental aspects of the game. Do you find this side of the game is just as important as the technical parts?
I think is the most important in this sport, each point you need to face full concentracion its like 70 % mental for me I think.

DaveCochrane - Hi Marcos I would like to know what you want to do when your playing days are over, will you stay working in table tennis such as coaching etc.
Yes maybe I would like to have one academy of sport (like the Bristol Academy, the one Dan went to :D), but maybe not as a coach but as a training partner by helping the others to improve his level with the ideas I can give .

Forestloves - HI Marcos, would you rather Win the World Championships, or win a silver in the Olympic Games?
I would like either both but I know it’s a little dificult but nothing is imposible I know I have the potencial to do it.

Topgunwow - Hi Marcos, are you happy about the speed glue ban, has it had an effect on your game?
Yes I am happy with the glue ban. I can now go to traning and just start playing, rather then having to wait 20 minutes to glue my bat. It also means I some what know what im getting from my bat when I play. It won't one day be super fast then the next day slow ect.

Dan - Hi Marcos, as i use to practice with you, i remember you use to love the way the chinese use to train, as you lived out in China for a year meeting the likes of Xu Xin!!! What was your experience like? how was the training?
Yes, it was really amazing. Its like you go out into another world. It provides everything you need to improve. You live the chinese life style, eat/sleep/tabletennis. The players they have are really amazing. At the time when i was practicing yes i was with 'Xu Xin' training with him every ayand we was both 50/50 the same level and now its really a big difference.

Off the topic questions

Whos your favourite sportsmen of all time?
Jan Ove Waldner
Favourite film?
Patriot
What car do you drive?
At the moment nothing, im with my feet haha but in Mexico i drive one Ford pick up truck.
Whats your favouirte music?
Pop music
What do you do in your spare time other then table tennis?
I like to speak with my friends and hanging out with friends.
Do you eat well or eat junk good?
I try always to eat well but some times its dificult
PS3 or XBOX 360?
PS3

Your team mates

Whos the funniest player in the trianing hall?
Jimmy Devaux
Whos trains the hardest in the training hall?
Maybe me
Whos the funniest team player?
Jimmy Devaux
Who has the best nickname?
Woody, a table tennis player at my club, we belive he looks like woody from toy story ha

And Lastly

And lastly, thanks very much for your kindness in taking part in this interview for all the members of the Table Tennis Daily forum to learn and know more about the life of a professional player.

Would you like to add one last tip, or an inspiriational message to us all?
I would like to say that if you have any dream, you must give your best always and never stop and keep going every day, every moment, every second, until you get it. At least you know you gave your possible best.

Good luck in your next competition Marcos!

Thanks

Table Tennis Daily Forum

Check out Marcos Madrids Channel at http://www.youtube.com/user/marcosmadridmantilla. Follow him :)

Marcos uses this site, so a big thanks to him!. If you would like to know anything more about him, post below and im sure he can get back to you. What did you think of this interview, was it helpful?

If you would like to help promote Marcos's interview, click share at the top of this page and share it with your friends on facebook!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2010
Great interview, thanks for taking the time, Marcos!
And Dan, please keep those interviews comming :)

says My profile in a very good place to follow the best sport!
says My profile in a very good place to follow the best sport!
Oct 2010
Hello Marcos, the best for U and ur family, we (mexican people i mean) are very proud of your results, keep going! I know Mercy is following ur steps, well best regards from México!!! Arriba México!!!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2010
Hey Dan,this interview is really interesting!
Thanks a lot for adding also my question to Marcos!:D
Go on bro!:)

This user has no status.
C

This user has no status.
thx for the interview was realy intresting hearing in form a pros perspective