TableTennisDaily exclusive interview with professional! (Hours to make, seconds to comment :)

swgerell.jpg

Photo by: Roscher

Full Name: Pär Håkan Gerell

Date Of Birth: 23 June 1982

Height: 173cm

Club represented: ASTT Chartres

Highest World Ranking: 34

Equipment: STIGA

Your career

How long have you been playing table tennis for, when did you start?
I started when i was 7 years old, so 21 years

Who has been the biggest influence on your career?
I think Waldner and Persson. Also Appelgren because he was left handed just like me.

BollForte94 from table tennis daily wants to know what do you practice the most. Do you have a cetain training rechime each week or does it alter?
I alter little bit, but almost every week a practise the halflong ball, the spin over the table.

Do you serve practice often?
2 times a week, 20 minutes each time

Your a very successful international star now, what do you feel was your biggest achievement to date?
Quarterfinal Mens Singles Europeans and my medal in Doubles Europeans.

Whats it like being a young rising star following the likes of Persson and Jan Ove Waldner?
It has its both sides, You learned a lot of them, but also you are always compared with them..

Ok, maybe you don't like looking back to this but what was your biggest low in your career?
I had an injury in my shoulder for 3month and this was quite hard.

Are you looking forward to the 2012 Olympics?
Yes of course. This is the big goal youre practising for at the moment

TerIphik - Hi, I would like to know if the material (rubbers and blades) of professional players is the same to the same material as we (nonprofessional) buy in table tennis shops?
Normally yes. we can maybe choose little more if we want harder or softer rubbers for example, but it is the same product.

Do you use booster to enhance your rubber?

lesliefrancs - HI, Is pursuing a life towards TT worth the rewards? and does playing TT full time effect your personal life?
Yes for me its worth the rewards, I had also a lot of fun during the years. Ofcourse it effects personal life, most of my friends are through TT..

Do you run every day?
In winter 1-2 times/week, in summer 2-3 times/week

GecaPhoenix - What's your view on the chinese dominniance at the moment, Why are they so good do you belive?
They start practise hard earlier, they have much more players too choose from, and they have the resources and the knowledge..

Leankints wants to know do you train on the mental aspects of the game. Do you find this side of the game is just as important as the technical parts?
Is important, a lot of sets ends with 2 balls difference and then is good to be cool in the important decisions.

DaveCochrane - Hi, I would like to know what you want to do when your playing days are over, will you stay working in table tennis such as coaching etc.
I dont know. Is possible i stay in some kind of way, but also possible i do something else.

forestloves - HI, would you rather Win the World Championships, or win a silver in the Olympic Games?
Win the world championship

topgunwow - Hi, are you happy about the speed glue ban, has it had an effect on your game?
Right now it hasnt effect so much on my game. I think most of the players have adjust themselves to the new material.

We here at TTD are fond of Jan Ove Waldner and our poll shows hes the best player ever on the planet! Whats he like as a person, has he tault you one or two tricks over the years? Could you give us some insights to how he is as a player and person?
Hes really funny guy, but as a player unbelievable proffesional and always thinking totally right when hes stepping in the box to play.
Off the topic questions

Par Gerell in action!

Off the topic questions

Whos the most famous person you know through table tennis?
Waldner is quite famous or?

Whos your favourite sportsmen of all time?
i had some favourites during the years: waldner, sampras and van basten to mention some.

Favourite film?
Donnie Brasco

What car do you drive?
Volvo c30

Whats your favouirte music?
I listen a lot to Bruce Springsteen

What do you do in your spare time other then table tennis?
Go to a nice café and drink coffee

Do you eat well or eat junk good?
i try to eat quite well

PS3 or XBOX 360?
I have xbox at home

Your team mates

Whos the funniest player in the trianing hall?
I practised with Fedor Kuzmin for many years in Ochsenhausen, and he can be quite funny

Whos trains the hardest in the training hall?
Chuan chih yuan, of all the players i had in my practise group

Whos the funniest team player?
Damien Eloi is funny to see when he plays

Who has the best nickname?
Not to sure :D

And Lastly

And lastly, thanks very much for your kindness in taking part in this interview for all the members of the Table Tennis Daily forum to learn and know more about the life of a professional player.

Would you like to add one last tip, or an inspiriational message to us all?

Practise hard and have fun!

Good luck in your next competition Par

(TTD members remember to leave a comment on what you think, and any other questions you may like to know i can do in the future. Thanks for reading!)

If you would like to help promote Par Gerell's interview, click share at the top of this page and share it with your friends on facebook!

Thanks!

Table Tennis Daily Staff and forum

says Hello Guys , I love Table Tennis Just like you guys...
says Hello Guys , I love Table Tennis Just like you guys...
Apr 2011
he said they usually get the same material that we get in shops , i want to be clear on this .. i heard there is a national version of DHS hurricane .. can we get this version? whats the difference between the national version and the version we get?