Xu Xin may not be attending the best 'considered' university in the world known as the Harvard university, however this young man has taking the Wolrd University Table Tennis Championships 2011 by storm! Infact, China won all medals including men/women team, men/women singles, men/women doubles and mixed doubles! The major highlight of the tournament was the men's singles from the semi final onwards!

Receive all the latest Table Tennis articles by liking TableTennisTa

xuxin17_1.365x265.jpg

Photo by: sohu.com

The most anticipated match of the whole university games was the men's singles final against Xu Xin and Yan An. Yan An is a young rising star who has pushed himself straight to the top and is now a representative of the Chinese National Team.

Who was to win this spectacular match on the 20th August 2011?

In the opening match Xu Xin came flying out of the blocks and showed the youngster if he wanted to win he had to put up a fight. Xu Xin maintained this momentum and clean swept the young Yan An by 4 games to 0. The match only lasted for 30 minutes which is rare in a final of an international table tennis event.

Xu Xin didn't win this competition easy though, in the semi final he came up against a firing Japanese player known as Kenji Matsudaira. Both players put up a huge fight and it looked like Matsudaira had the better of Xu Xin. However it wasn't to be and Xu XIn pulled away with the victory towards the closing games of the match. Xu Xin's experience prevailed him to win just edging those crucial deciding points.

Xu Xin quoted after the final that, "the players who tend to win the big tournaments are ones who had setbacks in the early stages of the event. This is what happened to me in the semi final. The semi final win gave me a relief and I was ready to play in the final.

Yan An explained after the match that he did not have enough confidence and lacked experience in the big areana showdown. I had some nerves and was not up to Xu Xin's level at the time. However I picked up a lot throughout the match and will learn from this.

The first two sets of the match were vital explained Yan An. I held at deuce towards the end of the sets but didnt close the set. I still lacked some gaps in my game, however I will learn from this!

There are no videos from the final of this event. If anyone has it please contact us :)

If you missed out on the team final please check it out below, and don't forget to check out all the latest Table Tennis articles by liking TableTennisTa

--- Share our articles to your facebook friends to improve and expand our community everyone---