Zhang Jike apologises to the World for not shaking hands with Ma Long

Today on the 1st March 2012, Ma Long and Zhang Jike met in the Men's Singles final at the Asian Championships 2012. Ma Long played tremendously and won the game in four straight sets. As the match ended, World Champion Zhang Jike avoided shaking hands with Ma Long. This has put the table tennis World in shock!

zhanghand.jpg

Zhang Jike apologises

Zhang Jike praised Ma Long's tremendous skills in the match and explained why he did not shake hands with Ma Long at the end of the game.

Zhang Jike expressed in an interview after the game at the conference hall, "I did not shake hands with Ma long, first of all I want to explain here, I didn't do that on purpose, I was still be preoccupied with the details of the match".

Zhang Jike also posted on his Weibo account from his Iphone that he got so into playing, he forgot to shake hands and apologises. Ma Long reposted, "together"

zhangapoligise.jpg

What do you think of Zhang Jike's actions? Click here for the full debate

Source: sports.sina.com

TableTennisDaily

says Check out my Podcast Talkin' Smash!
says Check out my Podcast Talkin' Smash!
Oct 2010
Read 12 reviews
You don't 'forget' to shake hands with your opponent, its habitual, players learn to do it even if robotically from beginning the sport. I'm far in doubt that a Chinese player wasn't 'robotically' taught the ethics of the game, I don't believe he just forgot.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2011
I think it's not a proper translation. "Together" doesn't make any sense in this context. Any chinese-speaking people here?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2011
You don't 'forget' to shake hands with your opponent, its habitual, players learn to do it even if robotically from beginning the sport. I'm far in doubt that a Chinese player wasn't 'robotically' taught the ethics of the game, I don't believe he just forgot.

It might not be so robotic for the chinese because they don't have the same handshaking culture in Asia.

I totally agree that what he did was wrong though, Ma Long got confused too.

Bai

This user has no status.

Bai

This user has no status.
Aug 2011
In China this topic (refuse shaking hand) was frequently discussed, most people think zhang jike is an unpolitly person.
Ma long answered Together means make efforts together, its just a politely reply. What could he say?

Bai

This user has no status.

Bai

This user has no status.
Aug 2011
Zhang jike knows how to make a good public relation, so he pologise to Ma lon for not shaking hand, otherwize he will be punished.May be missed London.

TME

This user has no status.

TME

This user has no status.
Jan 2012
Zhang Jike acted like a spoilt little child, he blanked Ma Long twice! The second time was so blatant. I think he realised he made a mistake and wanted to apologise but I don't believe him when he says he forgot.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2012
"together" meaning

I think it's not a proper translation. "Together" doesn't make any sense in this context. Any chinese-speaking people here?

I'm not a chinese but i guess "together" here means Ma Long also apologizes to Zhang Jike.