Journalist Donn Olsen has been following China's every step during their preparation for the World Team Championships 2012 at the Werner Schlager Academy. The WSA is China's favourite venue to prepare for the World Team Championships which begins this month on the 25th March is the Werner Schlager Academy in Vienna.

team_19_03_12.jpg

(In photo, left to right): Li Xiaoxia, Ding Ning, Fan Ying, Cao Zhen, Guo Yue, Liu Shiwen, Photo by: Donn Olsen

Read the full article here on the ittf.com

Below are snippets taken from Donn Olsen report on day 2 at the Werner Schlager Academy

Day 2 of the training camp for the Chinese Naitonal Team at the Werner Schlager Acadmy began on the 18th March 2012 in preparation for the World Team Table Tennis Championships.

Day 2, two items

During day 2, many shots seen by the National team were not reflecting the best in the World players abilities. Many of the shots were unforced and relaxed however the coaching team accepted this casually.

The coaching team are highly trained and wise. They understand the causes of jet lag and how players need to adapt to their environments. However, the coaches saw the players trying their best which is what they wanted to see.

Donn noted how it was intriging to see how the coaching staff varied the training partners. The various styles available allows the coaches to give each player a different style to practice against.

The training session

Chen Weixing
Austria's Chen Weixing joined the morning session with the Chinese team. Chen paired with Wang Hao. Chen has been proven of good value for the National team with his unique ability to defend and attack at such a high superb level.

chinaarrivewsa2012daymalinchen.jpg

Ma Lin and Chen Weixing practicing in the Werner Schlager Academy: Photo courtesy of WSA

Ma Long: Never stop learning
Does Ma Long need to improve one would ask? However during day 2 the World number 1 received the most coaching feedback. Liu Guoliang was concerned with Ma Long's backhand top spin down the line against an oncoming backspin ball. Liu expressed in English, "no power". Liu demonstrated how to do the backhand shot himself with his penhold technique. The team maybe the best in the World however as we see time and time again they are constantly learning and adapting.

This was also evident at the Stiga Head Quarters last year where Stiga captured footage of Liu Guoliang showing Ma Long how to complete a backhand from an oncoming backspin ball (Video below).

Nervous Daniel Havesohn
A fantastic opportunity for World no. 106 Daniel Habesohn of Austria joined the training. Daniel was partnered with reigning Olympic Champion Ma Lin. Donn Olsen asked Daniel if he was enjoying himself, Dan replied, "this training is incredible, I'm a little nervous however I can feel the strong shots coming at me on every rally".

Amelie Solja
European star Amelie Solja who has a unique style of play with aniti spin has been quite challenging for the Chinese team. Amelie practised against Li Xiaoxia and Guo Yue with appreciations from both players as they enjoyed the session.

chinaarrivewsa2012day29.jpg

Martin Soros (co-chief Executive officer of the WSA) expressed, "Amelie's game has made a good contribution to the rpactice hall. She has a troubling style for even these great players. You see their misses sometimes and how focused they must be when they train with Amelie.”

Li Xiaoxia commented, "there are so many bright futures at the Werner Schlager Academy, everyone is just so great".

Water

Donn highlighted at the end of the session he was sitting next to a bottle of water supply. The WSA provides non-carbonated (known in Europe as “no gas”) and carbonated (“with gas”) water for players. Donn noticed how the players were selecting the no gas option, no one had touched the gas option.

However, a bit later World number 1 Ding Ning came along and chose the gas option. Then Guo Yue chose the gas option asell as Fan Yin. It seemed only the men wanted to drink no gas. However as Ma Long walked along he chose the gas option and expressed to me with a big smile, "I like it".

Ding Ning then told me that in China we don't have this kind of option, and that she liked it a lt more.

Be sure to follow all the latest news feeds of the Chinese National Team at the Werner Schlager Academy here

TableTennisDaily
Source, ittf.com - Donn Olson