Li Xiaoxia Becomes Olympic Champion

Li Xiaoxia left the audience shocked as she battled her way to victory, defeating world champion and team mate Ding Ning 4-1, in a controversial final.

403986_3122226873122_1472491470_n.jpg

The 6000 capacity stadium was packed to the rafters and you could definitely feel the excitement in the crowd. Both players must have been feeling the pressure of expectation with an estimated 500 million people watching in their home country but neither seemed fazed by the weight on their shoulders.

It was guaranteed that China would maintain their 100% win record, winning every Olympic women’s singles event since table tennis was first introduced to the games in 1988.

Ding Ning walked into the final as the favourite, wishing to add Olympic champion to her list of other achievements. Ding Ning was denied this opportunity by Xiaoxia who played the game of her life as well as decisions that were not in her favour.

The first set saw quick rallies and devastating shots from both players with Lia Xiaoxia just edging it 11-8.
During the first half of the second set, Li Xiaoxia used her powerful forehand well, not allowing her opponent to create any kind of lead over her before steaming ahead to give herself a 10-6 lead. However, Ding Ning fought back and Li Xiaoxia needed 6 game points to take the end 14-12.

The third set saw more astonishing table tennis, with both players showcasing the sport at its best and keeping the audience on the edge of their seat. It was clear that both players were fighting for this, and after a well called time out Ding Ning won the end 11-8.

Li Xiaoxia stormed ahead in the fourth set surrounded by controversy. Ding Ning attempted one of her trademark serves before being faulted. After addressing the umpire on the issue she was shown a yellow and red card, resulting in a loss of point. A display of emotion from the 22 year old led to a change of atmosphere in the arena but nevertheless, Li Xiaoxia took the set 11-6.

Li Xiaoxia took the last set easily against an opponent who had lost the confidence she showed as she went into the game.

Overall, it cannot be denied that Li Xiaoxia is a well deserved champion and it is unfortunate that the game may be remembered for more than just the amazing skill that was shown.
The world now looks on to tomorrow’s men’s singles semi-finals and finals in an Olympics that is proving to be unpredictable.

Like and tweet our articles around to the world. Lets spread the word of Table Tennis.

Alice Gregory – TableTennisDaily

says Check out my Podcast Talkin' Smash!
says Check out my Podcast Talkin' Smash!
TeamJOOLA
Oct 2010
Read 12 reviews
It's sad to see such a hard working and gentle personality be crushed in the most important match of her life. It was hard to watch.

In saying that, I hope the controversy does not detract the marvelous efforts of Li Xiaoxia, a gold medal well earned and well deserved.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2012
I think the red card comes from the fact that empire have to avoid being argued in fear of in fact getting insulted in a foreign language. the empire showed the reason why she sanctioned so further discussions was useless. there was a case i think in the past of a Belgian player throwing insults in French at English speaking umpire. the serve itself looks high on the replay but it might be just a case of dropping the ball instead of throwing it and hitting it further down.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2012
i think the umpire was not good because she declared fault 3 times against ding and im thought there was no fault in her serve

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2013
Indeed Li Xiaoxia dominated the game from the very beginning. I should say without the umpire's penalty, it is still hard for Ding Ning to win. During that game Li xiaoxia played even better than the WCCT of 2013. The interruptions from the umpire affected both players, for Li xiaoxia it was a pause to pursue her consecutive scoring- You can see everytime the umpire gave a penalty to Ding Ning, Li Xiao xia dropped points continuously. So it is true that the umpire had an impact on the game, but is it wrong to follow the rules while judging a game?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2013
The red card comes from the two yellow card, the first one for time delay when it's time for 3rd game, the second for sweeping sweat at an improper time point(that is, the sum of the two players' score is not mutiples of 6). For the severs, two of them are too skewed to her body and one is not high enough.
I think the red card comes from the fact that empire have to avoid being argued in fear of in fact getting insulted in a foreign language. the empire showed the reason why she sanctioned so further discussions was useless. there was a case i think in the past of a Belgian player throwing insults in French at English speaking umpire. the serve itself looks high on the replay but it might be just a case of dropping the ball instead of throwing it and hitting it further down.