Timo Boll expresses, "It was my resurrection, but unfortunately our downfall" (PHOTOS)

Timo Boll, Dimitrij Ovtcahrov and Bastian Steger gave their best efforts in yesterday's clash between Germany and China at the London 2012 Olympic Team Event semi finals. The Chinese team was made up of arguably the strongest trio ever at the Olympics; Ma Long, Zhang Jike and Wang Hao.

bolldefeatzhang2012.jpg

The Excel Arena was packed out with 6000 spectators chanting "Germany, Germany, Germany" during the breaks of the points. The atmosphere was electrifying.

The German head coach Jorg Rosskopt spoke after Germany's close defeat, "It was again a great experience to match the Chinese and to bring our best performance. Dirk Schimmelpfennig (Sport Director of the German Federation) was pleased with his number one Timo Boll and expressed, "At the Olympic Games, we have experienced a lot, with a huge disapoinment in the singles for Timo, just shows how great an athlete Timo is to come back and defeat the Olympic Champion Zhang Jike." And Jorg Rosskopf added: "I am very happy with the teams performance, Timo is out of his depth, he has played incredibly well."

Dimitrij Ovtcharov commented after the match, "I played well during the first three games against Ma Long. I am happy with my performance but not with the overall defeat".

Bastian Steger added, "We all put in our best performances on the day however it is important to recognize our oppositions strong performance at the end."

Timo Boll commented about his performance: "It was my resurection but unfortunately our fall. We all gave our best efforts and it was a very close fine match, however it is important to acknowledge the strengths of the Chinese players, when one player wobbles, the rest of the pack give their best table tennis to make up for the damages".

Photos below from the event :)

chinagermanylo0.jpg

chinagermanylo1.jpg

chinagermanylo2.jpg

chinagermanylo16.jpg

chinagermanylo17.jpg

chinagermanylo8.jpg

chinagermanylo9.jpg

chinagermanylo10.jpg

chinagermanylo11.jpg

chinagermanylo13.jpg

chinagermanylo14.jpg

chinagermanylo15.jpg

chinagermanylo16.jpg

chinagermanylo17.jpg

Photo's by: Tischtennis in Deutschland's Facebook page
Source of article: tischtennis.de and tabletennista.com

To catch up on all the very latest news from the London 2012 Olympics click here

Like and tweet our articles to the World. Lets spread the word of Table Tennis.

TableTennisDaily