Round 1 of the Men's Singles at the Kuwait Open ITTF World Tour took place this morning with many unexpected results. Austria’s Stefan Fegerl and Russia’s Alexey Liventsov were the players who put a dent in the main draw on the 16th February 2013. Prior to the main draw both players had reached through playing in qualifying stages and caused the biggest upsets on day 3 of this epic world series.

leesangsukuwait.jpg

Lee Sang Su - Photo by: ittf.com

Alexey Liventsov (world ranked 113) caused a sensational victory over Korea's Lee Sang Su (world ranked 50) in a hard fought six games (11-9, 11-4, 4-11, 9-11, 11-4, 11-7). In an interview with the ittf.com Alexey expressed, I tried to use my backhand as much as possible in the match. I really thought I would have trouble with Lee's services however I managed to keep things tight and in my control.

"I varied my serve with having to serve half-long, often with topspin, changing direction. I was surprised because he kept playing to my backhand so I was able to dictate the play. My forehand was not on form today". Alexey left the table full of smiles and joy.

Round 2 begins at 14.45 GMT in the ITTF Live Streaming. Be sure to watch the matches live here

Over on the other table, Stefan Fegerl had one of the best wins of his career defeating Slovenia's Bojan Tokic in five games (5-11, 11-9, 11-7, 11-6, 11-8). In an interview with the ittf.com Fegerl stated, "I didn't think I had any chance to win, I lost the first game and was 9-5 down in the second. "I couldn't keep my serves short. I changed tactics and served half long with heavy backspin. Every now and then Bojan pushed my half long service and I was able to attack first. It was a good day for me".

Thanks to Table Tennis Rulez and youtuber ttCountenance for this video below:

For all the latest news, results and videos from the Kuwait Open 2013 click here. To catch up on all the latest highlighted matches from the Kuwait Open visit our Media Library.

Like and tweet our articles to the World. Lets spread the word of Table Tennis.
Source: ITTF
Written by: Daniel Ives
TableTennisDaily