Pitchford and Sibley celebrate in similar fashion - English Champions 2013!

Nineteen year old Liam Pitchford managed to clinch his first-ever Mens singles title at the 54th English National Championships at Ponds forge in Sheffield.

The final saw a rematch of the 2012 final where the promising player from Derbyshire was met by four-time National Champion Paul Drinkhall; however this year the result was to be different with the teen coming out victorious after six thrilling sets 4-2. (8-11, 11-8, 2-11, 11-7, 11-4, 11-9)

liam2013.jpg

ETTA

The Chesterfield born player commented “We know each other’s game very well having practiced with each other so often, every match is difficult and I am very happy to have won this one”

Although Pitchford had been out over the Christmas period with a hip injury he was able to not only claim the Men’s singles title but also the Men’s doubles title with fellow finalist Paul Drinkhall.

He said “I was out for five weeks, but gained some great rehab and I was in good hands. Im still working on keeping on top of it but I am feeling stronger than ever”

liamkelly2013.jpg

Kelly Sibley (Right - photo by: Steve Parkin)

Meanwhile in the women’s event twenty-four year old Kelly Sibley was able to defend her crown from 2012 after a monumental seven-game marathon with great rival Joanna Parker.

Having already been through two tough fixtures earlier in the day, a six-game quarter final win over Tin Tin Ho and a seven-game semi-final victory over Karina LeFevre, Sibley was delighted to have clinched the title.

Sibley commented “Today has been a really tough day for me, in my quarter final I was 2-0 down and came back to win 4-2 and in my semi-final I was 3-0 up and Karina fought really well to come back to 3-3. I was then 8-3 and 9-5 down so I just focused ball for ball and managed to get through that 14-12”

“I am just so happy to have won, I just had to take my time and keep calm and focused”

The next challenge for the singles champions is the Commonwealth championships in May and the Commonwealth games in Glasgow in 2014 where Pitchford has said he will be looking to come away with a gold.

Like and tweet our articles to the World. Lets spread the word of Table Tennis.
Source: ettu.org
Written by: Emily Standing
TableTennisDaily