Steffen Mengal surprises all at the German National Championships

Steffen Mengal managed to beat the odds at the 2013 German National Championships. The world ranked 157 player managed to defeat the world number 5 Timo Boll on his way to the throne.

Mengal commented “I can’t believe I am the national champion, and even more that I was able to beat Timo Boll in the final”

steffen2013.jpg

Steffen Mengal - Photo by: Roscher

The nine-time German Champion didn’t lose a single game in his previous rounds however he didn’t shine through in any of the 4-0 games either as he felt that he didn’t have to and that Mengal was in fact his first challenge of the competition. Boll said “Steffen was by far the better player in the first three games” From the fourth game Boll was finally in the match playing dominantly and also led 6-3 in the sixth game. “It was at this point I should have won, I was so close”

Mengal however was able to change his game plan and began to vary his service which evidently served him well with Boll commenting “I found it hard to read them until the end, its a pity but you have to go through this in sport, I would like to become German champion again but I know that it will not be easy”

Mengal added “We hadn’t played each other in some time and before the match my goal was to gain a single set off Boll, at the German Open he beat me easily and you need to have your optimum capacity when playing against him”

The final match score was 4-3 (4, -8, 8, -6, -5, 12, 7)

Like and tweet our articles to the World. Lets spread the word of Table Tennis.
Source: ettu.org
Written by: Emily Standing
TableTennisDaily