Xu Xin & Han Ying Are The 2014 Korea Open Champions! (VIDEOS)

Xu Xin and Han Ying were crowned champions at the GAC Group 2014, ITTF World Tour Korean Open (super) which was held in the city of Incheon on Sunday 15th June.

xuxinkoreaaopen.jpg

Xu Xin - Photo by: Ali Haider

Xu Xin occupied the position of the number one seed and was able to overcome compatriot Fang Bo in the final in five games (11-8, 11-6, 7-11, 11-9, 12-10). Fang Bo is currently nowhere to be seen in the World ranking list due to his lack of international appearances, and so Bo had to start off the tournament in the qualification stages of the tournament. This win meant that Xu Xin became the first player to ever successfully defend his title after beating team mate Ma Long in last year’s final and the second person to have ever won the title twice. Xu Xin commented “What made this title special today is Father’s day and so I would like to dedicate this title to him.”

xuxinkoreaopen1.jpg

Xu Xin celebrates - Photo by: ITTF Facebook Page

Xu Xin added “It is difficult to play against team mates as they know me very well; all of the Chinese team players have relatively high standards and it is equally difficult to play against them. However we can also take more risks in our play; maybe I have more international experience and that is what helped me to achieve this win.”

VIDEO: Men's Singles Final

Han Ying of Germany caused an upset among the women’s singles as she was able to overcome the top seed in order to clinch her first ever World Tour title. Han Ying was occupying the seventh seed position in the tournament and was able to cause a major upset by defeating Singapore’s Feng Tianwei in Ying’s first ever World Tour final, she impressed with her defensive skills taking the final in four straight sets (11-6, 11-7, 11-5, 11-7).

hanyingkorea2014.jpg

Yan Hing - Photo by: Adel Hakouz

Han Ying commented on her win “I’ve played many world tours this year and each time I will aim to play my best, I certainly did not expect to win here in Korea and I am very happy about it; I still need to make some improvements to my game and I hope to keep doing well on the international scene. She also added “None of the matches in this tournament were easy and the final against Feng Tianwei was no different, I played quite well this morning in the semi-finals against Yang Haeun; in the final I was able to execute my techniques smoothly.”

This title means that Han Ying is the sixth player from the German Table Tennis Association to win an ITTF World Tour Women’s Singles title and the fourth who is a defender.

VIDEO: Women's Singles Final

Congratulations to Xu Xin and Han Ying winning this year's Korea Open! For all the latest news, results and videos from the Korea Open click here. To catch up on all the latest highlighted matches from the Korea Open visit our Media Library.

Like and tweet our articles to the World. Lets spread the word of Table Tennis.
Source: ITTF
Written by: Emily Standing
TableTennisDaily

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2014
Even though Xu Xin is not one of my favorite players , I still have respect for him and i think he is amazing.