TableTennisDaily exclusive interview with professional! (Hours to make, seconds to comment :)

darius-knight-415x275.jpg

Photo: James Olley and Matthew Beard

Full Name: Darius Knight

Date Of Birth: 22.02.90

Height: 176

Club represented:

Highest World Ranking: 272

Equipment: Michael maze
Forehand: Tenergy 05
Backhand: Tenergy 64

Your career

How long have you been playing table tennis for, when did you start?
I started when i was about 10 knowing that i wanted to do this everyday... and to be the best.

Who has been the biggest influence on your career?
The most important is Tom Draper for having his club and for believing in a young bad boys like me although i was never easy to deal with. After that the biggest is my coach Gideon for coaching me for free, paying for my competitions, feeding me and making me the young man i am today and giving me all of his time before his marriage and his family. My Gran for always believing in me and giving her best advice and helping me financially. My Mum for being a sister and just letting me do what i want but trusting me that table tennis is what i wanted. Uncle for being the father figure in my life and the man i looked up too, my coach Liu Jia Yi for coaching me from the age of 13, taking me as his son even though its was his job he taught me so many things no one else could teach me and now my little brother for just trying to show him a good example and to be able to give him whatever he wants.

BollForte94 from table tennis daily wants to know what do you practice the most. Do you have a certain training regime each week or does it alter?
We have a normal training regime but it changes as we have club matches and competitions all over the year... so planning is important

Do you serve practice often?
Yes normally we do 20mins a day but still not enough...

You’re a very successful international star now, what do you feel was your biggest achievement to date?
I don’t know i count them all of them as good as i never knew i would be here but probably standing alone by myself in the european youths showing that I'm a good team player but also a player who can win medals without Paul Drinkhall as he is a very successful team mate and playing with him in a team makes winning a little bit easier:)

Ok, maybe you don't like looking back to this but what was your biggest low in your career?
Not going to the world team championships this year.

Are you looking forward to the 2012 Olympics?
Yes im looking forward to it but i may not be there... i can't imagine myself not being there but i don’t step my game up it could easily fade away.

TerIphik - Hi, I would like to know if the material (rubbers and blades) of professional players is the same to the same material as we (nonprofessional) buy in table tennis shops?
I think the best players tend to get stuff more the same and consistent but it all does the same thing... so...

Justchill - Hi Darius, What are the most important TT exercises for becoming a good player?
i dont know im still trying to figure it out... as im not a good player yet... but i would say just believe in what you are doing and keep working hard train how you would play a match.

Do you use booster to enhance your rubber?
That i've never heard off haha

lesliefrancs - HI, Is pursuing a life towards TT worth the rewards? and does playing TT full time effect your personal life?
i think it affect relationships with females but not all understand, but for me table tennis is what i want to do so they have to wait and release now its my time. but i think you have to give time to them when you can but its very difficult as you are often tired and have to be very organised.

Do you run every day?
i run quite often sometimes i ride my bike to training which makes it about 20-30minute ride.

GecaPhoenix - As you have been to China on many occasions Darius, what are your views on the Chinese dominance at the moment, Why are they so good do you believe.
They have 50 players like me, the coaches knowledge is so much better and they have the mentality to be perfect and no sleep until it is

Leankints wants to know do you train on the mental aspects of the game. Do you find this side of the game is just as important as the technical parts?
The mental aspect is much more important its where i have been lacking over the years but im maturing now

DaveCochrane - Hi, I would like to know what you want to do when your playing days are over, will you stay working in table tennis such as coaching etc.
I love table tennis but i would love to have a different life not always travelling as it's tiring and a full time job something involved with sport... maybe a sport ambassador. Something like Kelly Holmes or inspiring young people if i achieve enough and stay out of trouble

forestloves - HI, would you rather Win the World Championships, or win a silver in the Olympic Games?
That’s a difficult one... but i think World Championships for history...

topgunwow - Hi, are you happy about the speed glue ban, has it had an effect on your game?
It took some time to getting used to but now its lets hassle to prepare for matches and training.

What’s yours and Paul Drinkhall's relationship like in TT. As you two have been competing with each other over the years has this helped you both improve your games?
Definitely i don't think i would be where i am if it wasn't for him and also maybe he wouldn't be where he is... i can't speak for him but i cant speak for myself. hes winning the sprint but im trying to win the marathon

Do you like the system England has for TT. What do you think could improve table tennis as a whole in England?
I think everything it's not professional enough but i dont think that will change in my time...

Do you believe you have to have a certain amount of talent to become a world class player? Or can hard work alone get you there?
i think its both... but the talented ones don't hard and maybe don’t use it to 100% so i will say hard work with some kind of talent and idea what to do and belief

View attachment 483
In photo: right to left --- Jing Wei, Darius Knight, Vytas Rybakus, Daniel Ives, Callum Mcmahon

Off the topic questions

Whos the most famous person you know through table tennis?
Myself... haha i dont know

Who's your favourite sportsmen of all time?
I don’t have a sportsmen i like but one i would like to be is Michael Maze

Favourite film?
The illusionist

What car do you drive? i
Fiesta Z-tec

Whats your favouirte music?
Hip hop, rap and RnB

What do you do in your spare time other then table tennis?
Computer games, comics, animation, disney films and gadgets.

Do you eat well or eat junk good?
i would say i eat well i like to cook a lot....

PS3, XBOX, PC?
PS3 but i have them all

Your team mates

Whos the funniest player in the trianing hall?
Gavin Rumgay

Whos trains the hardest in the training hall?
Andrew Rushton

Whos the funniest team player?
Gavin Rumgay or myself depends what kind of humor you have...

Who has the best nickname?
Pois- Lewis Gray haha hmmm i have a new nickname i am now sometimes called OMAR

And Lastly

And lastly Darius, thanks very much for your kindness in taking part in this interview for all the members of the Table Tennis Daily forum and guests to learn and know more about the life of a professional player.

To support the england players and not try and go against us... we all need encouragement and support! good or bad.

Good luck in your next competition

Watch Darius Knight now against the world number 1, Timo Boll

Table Tennis Daily Staff and forum

Please leave your thoughts and comments below and leave a comment on any questions you would like me to ask in the next table tennis daily interview of a professional player.

If you would like to help promote Darius Knight's interview, click share at the top of this page and share it with your friends on facebook!