Russia’s Maxim Shmyrev is two-time WCPP Champ! (VIDEOS)

Russia’s Maxim Shmyrev has managed to defend his World Championships of Ping Pong title after defeating Nigeria’s Sule Olaleye 3-2 in a thrilling match at the Alexandra Palace.

maxim2.jpg

Maxim Shmyrev: Photo by: worldchampionshipofpingpong.net

On the way to the final Shmyrev overcame American Yugoslavian Llija Lupulseku which was his toughest match to date, meanwhile Olaleye dashed the hopes of English player Chris Doran who had earlier had a triumphant victory over Martin Groenewald with a 2-0 win.

In the bottom half of the draw olympic hope Andrew Baggely was also beaten in two sets by Nigerian Sule Olaleye.

The 41 year old from Moscow displayed a high standard of play over the two day period however he was never pushed towards his full capabilities until the 49 year old Nigerian stepped up and gave him a tough match taking it to the decider.

It was a tantalising match as both players gave their all displaying such a high quality of play, the intense match could of gone either way with both players playing some spectacular shots however Shmyrev managed to outlast his opponent and clinch the title.

This win was added to the Russians previous title that he won in Las Vegas in 2011. He managed to come out with a well deserved trophy, gold medal and cheque for $20,000.

“It was an unbelievably difficult final” said an elated Shmyrev.

“It was in my mind about my friend who died last week. I was leading but my thoughts about my friend came to my mind and I lost abit of concentration. I feel I was a little bit better than Sule but it was a difficult game.

I thought I had a chance because I have the experience as the defending champion. But everybody had a chance. It was a fantastic competition, it made a really good show and everything was fantastic and I will be back to defend my trophy next year”.

For Olaleye he put up a spectacular fight and was very close to a victory, he received $10,000 for his efforts.
“I really tried my best but I couldnt finish it tonight. I could not have given anymore than I did. I had to go for it, I went for it but there was nothing that I could do, he did well.

I really enjoyed this tournament, it was an unbelievable weekend. Next year I will try and win, but its not easy because it is such a tough competition”.

Quarter Final Results

Maxim Shmyrev (RUS) 2-0 Joseph Cruz (PHI) 11-8, 11-5
Llija Lupulesku (USA) 2-1 Richard Gonzales (PHI) 12-10, 7-11, 11-9
Sule Olaleye (NIG) 2-0 Andrew Baggaley (ENG) 11-7, 11-6
Chris Doran (ENG) 2-0 Martin Groenewald (NED) 14-12, 11-9
Losers recieve $3,000

Semi-Final Results

Maxim Shmyrev (RUS) 2-0 Llija Lupulesku (USA) 11-5, 13-11
Sule Olaleye (NIG) 2-0 Chris Doran (ENG) 11-8 ,11-1
Losers recieve $5,000

Final Results

Maxim Shmyrev (RUS) 3-2 Sule Olaleye (NIG) 11-5, 13-15, 11-9, 9-11, 11-8

maxim2.jpg

Maxim Shmyrev jumps on the table as he celebrates his victory! Photo by: worldchampionshipofpingpong.net

Here is a match below between Andrew Baggaley and Patrick Chila!

Like and tweet our articles to the World. Lets spread the word of Table Tennis.

TableTennisDaily

Source of article: tabletennista.com & worldchampionshipofpingpong.net

Article written by: Emily Standing