Timo Boll Interviewed About His Chances At WTTC 2013

Germany’s Timo Boll is one of the biggest threats towards the Chinese national team in the imminent 2013 World Table Tennis Championships in Paris which starts Monday, with Werner Schlager being the last non-Chinese player to win a World Championships Boll knows that it will be hard to repeat what the Austrian did ten years ago in the French capital.

In a recent interview with a German newspaper Boll spoke about Paris and his participation in the Chinese super league.

timobollwttc2013.jpg

Germany's Timo Boll enters the tournament as the #5 seed - Photo by: rtbf.be

Werner Schlager was the last non Chinese player to win a World Championships however ten years have passed since then and Schlager commented about how Europeans have no chance against Asian players nowadays, however Zhang Jike said that you are his strongest opponent so who do you think is right?

Timo Boll responded: The current situation is very similar to how it was when Werner won, I was top seed but China already dominated the sport and they already had a great generation with Wang Liqin, Ma Lin, Wang Hao and Kong Linghui. So Werner’s victory came as a big surprise, it would be the same if I was to win this time around.

If everything goes right is this surprise possible?

Timo Boll: Everything went right with Werner, he was able to display his best table tennis at the right time and he also had a bit of luck in crucial moments when he was down gaining great comebacks. Maybe the Chinese were not having their best day or were nervous, everything must come together but we never give up before the match begins.

Do you train to a degree that you push your limits?

Timo Boll: Yes of course during training which is long and intense I feel it now more than when I was 20 years old but I still have a lot of fun reaching my limits while im not in pain. Currently I have no pain and no injuries and so I am very happy that my body is still in good shape, I also try to ride my bike a much as I can. Nowadays I don’t practice on the table as much as my younger team mates I do more fitness training.

After the World Championships you will be in China for two months to play in the super league. Where are you more observed when you are in the public, in Germany or in China?

Timo Boll: In Germany the attention has definitely got a lot bigger but the popularity in China is completely different, in China table tennis is a national sport and also a media sport.

Are you able to converse with you Chinese team mates in their language?

Timo Boll: My Chinese language skills are not good enough for me to have a full conversation with them but I am able to order in restaurants and I know the main words about table tennis. I don’t have a problem with easy things.

Can you tell us how important the World Championships is in your schedule?

Timo Boll: Of course a World Championships is a highlight, the best players are there. I already won a medal in Rotterdam and now I am in good shape so I’m excited to see how far I can get in Paris.

Join in on TableTennisDaily's full World Table Tennis Championships discussion here.

Like and tweet our articles to the World. Lets spread the word of Table Tennis.
Source: derwesten.de and TableTennisTa
Written by: Emily Standing
TableTennisDaily