TableTennisDaily Podcast #5 - Simon Gauzy

What’s going on everyone, this is the 5th episode of the TableTennisDaily podcast with current world number 34 and French National Team player Simon Gauzy. Simon currently represents Ochsenhausen in the top division in the German League where he trains and competes full time. Simon is only 21 years old and already has a French national men's singles title to his name as well as a European Mens Team Medal. We look into many different aspects of his game such as his current training methods, competitions, greatest achievements and much more.

We would like to thank Simon for giving us the time out of his busy schedule to talk to us. Hope you guys enjoy and be sure to like and share this episode and subscribe on YouTube and iTunes. We would also love to hear your feedback on what you enjoyed about this episode and any ideas you might have for episodes in the future.

<iframe style="border: none" src="//html5-player.libsyn.com/embed/episode/id/4044107/height/360/width/640/theme/standard/autoplay/yes/autonext/no/thumbnail/yes/preload/no/no_addthis/no/direction/backward/no-cache/true/" height="360" width="640" scrolling="no" allowfullscreen webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen oallowfullscreen msallowfullscreen></iframe>

Breakdown of the podcast

00:40 How it all started.
02:30 How important is it to start table tennis at a young age?
03:46 How good Simon was when he was very young.
04:35 Simons thoughts on talent.
06:35 How playing tennis at a young age helps with table tennis.
07:30 Thomas compares himself to Simon Gauzy ????
08:13 Playing in Ochenhausen.
09:45 Rivalries.
10:26 How much training Simon does.
11:55 Backhand Banana flick and Simon's famous trick shot.
13:55 Playing against Xu Xin and how Xu Xin makes him feel like a "small kid".
15:00 How are the Chinese so good?
16:00 Chinese national team hurricane that no one else has access to.
17:10 Multi-ball.
20:20 Simons thoughts on the plastic ball and how there are too many variations at the moment.
23:10 Strength and conditioning, squats and deadlifts.
25:15 Playing matches.
27:15 Thinking too much about ranking is bad.
28:45 Differences between playing for club vs reprinting country.
30:00 Coping with nerves.
31:58 Music before matches.
33:00 Best career moment so far.
34:16 Serve practise.
36:37 Simons current goals.
38:35 Instagram questions from TableTennisDaily followers.

If you would like to save or listen to the podcast on itunes, search TableTennisDaily in the itunes store.

Thanks for listening!

Dan

says editing a big TTD Team episode... stay tuned 👀

Dan

Administrator
Aug 2010
Read 72 reviews
Thumbs up for the podcast and thanks Simon Gauzy for this !

Thanks SquareBall, glad you liked the podcast. I find it very interesting talking to the players about talent and hard work.

great interview, i am used to hear simon in french, it's the first time i am listening to him in english, he speaks very well.

Thanks :) He sure does speak well, I was very impressed, he has very good humor to.

Absolutely amazing podcast. Great in depth interview covering every thing in great detail. I particular like the discussion on talent v hard work an effort. Dan questioning and easy going interview style make the conversation flow. What an amazingpodcast.

Hi TTR, thanks very much for the comments, stay tuned for the next one in a few weeks :)

I saw simon the first time as he was eleven, he was already detected as a future champion, with a lot of hopes about, and so it's very difficult ! I often see matchs of simon, he's a master with tactic.

I am of course a fan and in France, i hope he will perform at the most in rio 2016 !!

I remember when I was younger I grew up in the same generation as Paul Drinkhall. When Paul Drinkhall was 11 he was unstoppable defeating some top senior players in the UK. I can imagine this is how Simon was at this age. Rio is going to be great!

Great podcast, thanks TTD!
I did not fully get Simon's reply on the level to reach to play tt for a living. "Hundred..."?

Thanks Floking! He said around 180 ranking.

Good job, Dan! The podcasts are amazing to listen and they are giving insight in what the pro's are focusing on in their training. Also interesting to hear how Simon is feeling set back when he's playing against Xu Xin. Great stuff!

Hi Giang, thanks! Agreed I couldn't believe it when he said it felt like Xu Xin was putting in 10% effort. Scary!

Thanks for asking the question if Simon Gauzy watches my videos! Nice podcast TTD keep them coming!

No worries TTLondon2012, I am sure you are happy with his response :)

Dan

Dan

Administrator
Aug 2010
Read 72 reviews
I was impressed too with humour of simon in english, it's difficult with a foreign language, I still can't ...

I think Simon will probably perform in intellectual activity after his TT career !

I heard you were a very good player, Dan, you have a video to see you playing ?

Yeah I can imagine, Simon did it very well indeed and spoke great. I noticed when I was at the Swedish Open, Simon was talking to most of the players in English and was always joking around having fun. He is probably talking English a lot with many different players and enjoys what he does :)

I am okay, I use to play in France in National 2 league, I watched Simon play in a French tournament when I was younger to. Erm I don't have any videos when I was younger I am afraid but you can see me playing in many different equipment reviews: http://www.tabletennisdaily.co.uk/equipment/reviews/user/1

Dan

Dan

Administrator
Aug 2010
Read 72 reviews
I just see one video equipment review where you are playing with paul Drinkall. I saw Paul Drinkall rightly 2 weeks ago in Paris, where he plays with Boulogne Billancourt, a great match against Morez.

You are a good player Dan, at least number 400 in France, nice technique.

Yeah Paul is playing for Boulogne and really enjoying it. When I was in France in 2009 I reached a ranking of around 700. Maybe I could of got a bit higher. The league in France is so strong :)

It is so fascinating to learn what is going on in the heads of those top players. The amount of insights the podcasts reveal is just unbelievable.

Totally agree Ilia, really interesting to know what they think and do. Glad your enjoying them :)

says Waldner Masterclass out now! 🏓
says Waldner Masterclass out now! 🏓
Administrator
Oct 2010
For those who have not had time to listen to the podcast and excerpt has been added below the podcast.

Reactions: Suga D