Tibhar Hybrid MK review

says [IMG]
Never tried Hybrid K3 as I feared it would be too hard for my liking. When Tibhar introduced the Hybrid MK, I was curious so I purchased 2 sheets in 2.0mm.
Current setup: Viscaria (87gr), FH: Bluegrip S2, BH: Hexer Grip. Played with the MK on both FH and BH a couple of weeks in the meantime.

Tibhar rubber stats: Hardness: 48 , Speed: 125, Control: 110, Spin: 125

Marketing text by Tibhar:
“The knowledge gained in the development of HYBRID K3 in collaboration with our top players Darko Jorgic, Vladimir Samsonov and Shang Kun form the basis for the HYBRID MK That collection of knowledge, combined with the personal requirements of Kenta Matsudaira lead into this offensive rubber. HYBRID MK combines everything that is defining Kenta Matsudaira's playing: An extraordinary touch, high spin potential, a long ball/bat contact time and nevertheless enough reserves in speed to put the pressure on your opponent.”

Rubber weighs 108gr including packaging. Uncut without packaging it weighs 66gr. Both red and black sheets weigh the same. When cut the rubber weighs 48gr. (vs Bluegrip S2 2.0mm: 45gr, Hexer Grip 1.9mm: 52gr). Total setup (including few grams of glue): 183gr

There is a little Tibhar logo in the bottom that marks the middle, which comes in handy when putting the rubber on the blade. The protective sheet on the rubber in the packaging, is a regular paper sheet instead of a plastic cover (which I expected by the way). The Mk surface is grippy, but not sticky at all. I did the ball-lifting test and there is zero lift.

I watched a couple of Japanese YT vids and almost all them mentioned the high throw of the rubber. Maybe they were comparing MK with a normal Chinese rubber, but compared to regular medium ESN rubber, the throw is rather low. I could adjust fairly easy with my FH, but only after 2 training sessions I was able to adjust my BH. But still, in a practice match, I made too many unforced errors with my BH. For BH, I do need some catapult as I mainly play with my wrist.

Compared to the Evolution series, the MK has much less catapult, which I actually prefer. The high amount of catapult of the Evolution series, makes those rubbers too unpredictable for my liking. (Having said that, I haven’t tried the new EL-D)

Due to the lack of strong catapult, the rubber offers a high level of control. I could easily switch from strong, fast FH topspin to a delicate slow/soft and well placed topspin. This is a kind rubber where the phrase “you get what you put in” is in place.

Push and block is a breeze and despite the grippy surface, not very sensitive for incoming spin. I also noticed this when playing topspin-over-topspin. The amount of spin you can generate with the MK, is high. My opponents where unpleasantly surprised a couple of times. The MK is not a fast rubber and just a few balls went too long.

In all fairness, the MK doesn’t feel like a hybrid rubber to me. Most likely, Tibhar calls it Hybrid MK to lift on the success of the Hybrid K3. The surface is not sticky at all and feels like a normal rubber without much catapult. I don’t see top players using this rubber as it falls short in multiple areas compared to its bigger brothers like Hybrid K3 and Evo MX series. If your gameplays is focused on speed and full force attack, forget about the MK. On the other hand, if your gameplay is focused on (top)spin and keeping the ball in play, the Hybrid MK might be suitable for you. Personally, I really enjoy using the MK on my FH and I’ll use Hybrid MK for this season (which just started). For my BH, I return back to Hexer Grip.

mk_1.jpg

mk_2.jpg

mk_3.jpg

mk_4.jpg

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Sounds like my kind of rubber - now I just need them to sell it to me!

It is a return to the traditional Japanese concept of rubber that was kinda ruined by Tenergy 05 - a rubber that you control, not a rubber that makes you hit powerful shots.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2019
Never tried Hybrid K3 as I feared it would be too hard for my liking. When Tibhar introduced the Hybrid MK, I was curious so I purchased 2 sheets in 2.0mm.
Current setup: Viscaria (87gr), FH: Bluegrip S2, BH: Hexer Grip. Played with the MK on both FH and BH a couple of weeks in the meantime.

Tibhar rubber stats: Hardness: 48 , Speed: 125, Control: 110, Spin: 125

Marketing text by Tibhar:
“The knowledge gained in the development of HYBRID K3 in collaboration with our top players Darko Jorgic, Vladimir Samsonov and Shang Kun form the basis for the HYBRID MK That collection of knowledge, combined with the personal requirements of Kenta Matsudaira lead into this offensive rubber. HYBRID MK combines everything that is defining Kenta Matsudaira's playing: An extraordinary touch, high spin potential, a long ball/bat contact time and nevertheless enough reserves in speed to put the pressure on your opponent.”

Rubber weighs 108gr including packaging. Uncut without packaging it weighs 66gr. Both red and black sheets weigh the same. When cut the rubber weighs 48gr. (vs Bluegrip S2 2.0mm: 45gr, Hexer Grip 1.9mm: 52gr). Total setup (including few grams of glue): 183gr

There is a little Tibhar logo in the bottom that marks the middle, which comes in handy when putting the rubber on the blade. The protective sheet on the rubber in the packaging, is a regular paper sheet instead of a plastic cover (which I expected by the way). The Mk surface is grippy, but not sticky at all. I did the ball-lifting test and there is zero lift.

I watched a couple of Japanese YT vids and almost all them mentioned the high throw of the rubber. Maybe they were comparing MK with a normal Chinese rubber, but compared to regular medium ESN rubber, the throw is rather low. I could adjust fairly easy with my FH, but only after 2 training sessions I was able to adjust my BH. But still, in a practice match, I made too many unforced errors with my BH. For BH, I do need some catapult as I mainly play with my wrist.

Compared to the Evolution series, the MK has much less catapult, which I actually prefer. The high amount of catapult of the Evolution series, makes those rubbers too unpredictable for my liking. (Having said that, I haven’t tried the new EL-D)

Due to the lack of strong catapult, the rubber offers a high level of control. I could easily switch from strong, fast FH topspin to a delicate slow/soft and well placed topspin. This is a kind rubber where the phrase “you get what you put in” is in place.

Push and block is a breeze and despite the grippy surface, not very sensitive for incoming spin. I also noticed this when playing topspin-over-topspin. The amount of spin you can generate with the MK, is high. My opponents where unpleasantly surprised a couple of times. The MK is not a fast rubber and just a few balls went too long.

In all fairness, the MK doesn’t feel like a hybrid rubber to me. Most likely, Tibhar calls it Hybrid MK to lift on the success of the Hybrid K3. The surface is not sticky at all and feels like a normal rubber without much catapult. I don’t see top players using this rubber as it falls short in multiple areas compared to its bigger brothers like Hybrid K3 and Evo MX series. If your gameplays is focused on speed and full force attack, forget about the MK. On the other hand, if your gameplay is focused on (top)spin and keeping the ball in play, the Hybrid MK might be suitable for you. Personally, I really enjoy using the MK on my FH and I’ll use Hybrid MK for this season (which just started). For my BH, I return back to Hexer Grip.

View attachment 24243

View attachment 24244

View attachment 24245

View attachment 24246
How is it compared to donic bluegrip S2. I am currently using S2 on backhand.

Reactions: FrenchFrog33
says [IMG]
How is it compared to donic bluegrip S2. I am currently using S2 on backhand.
MK has lower throw, is faster and generates bit more spin. Especially lack of sufficient speed of the Bluegrip S2, made me look for a replacement. And although the S2 doesn't have a lot of catapult, I had the feeling that the catapult sets in very late. Not necessarily a bad thing, but just a bit weird in some occasions.
For me, the Hybrid MK is a very nice upgrade of the S2.

Edit: forgot to mention that S2 is much softer compared to MK.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
ok so i've played already with it twice this week after trying it last year.
i am using Tibhar Carbon MK + MK (max) + K3 (max)
my old setup i have been using for many years:
Nittaku Acoustic Carbon Inner + T80 (1.9) + D80 (1.9)

I'm not an EJ and dont change a lot. i had a very good feeling with the racket last December hence my purchase. i wanted to go try an Outer because before i felt I could never control with it.

But after 2 sessions, I'm quite upset: the new racket doesn't feel like what i remembered when i first tried it before the purchase.

Especially, i was surprised how slow my shots were this week. Its most evident with FH smash where i feel I'm a little kid hitting now ! The balls are spinny, esp with BH, but I feel less spin than with Butterfly. I now wonder if the setup i tried in December was boosted. Probably ?

The other side of the coin, is that it's easier to put the ball on the table, especially in rallies, half a step or more from the table and to use the speed of the opponent.

The trajectories are shorter too. I think this racket is good for players who like to hit hard all shots, in good physical condition, and good footwork / technique, because in this case, as you have more safety, you can hit harder. another member of my team is playing with a similar setup, all in Tibhar, but he's built like a top sportsman.

I think where this racket is very good is in the short game. it is more immune to the opponent spin, and on short balls its very safe to use the wrist to put underspin in a push, i wish i could do this that easily with my old setup.

all in all, i don't know. this racket cost me a lot so i don't want to give up. despite the advantage in the short game, i feel right now that overall i'm at a disadvantage using it rather than the old setup. but i'll keep trying for at least a month or 2.

Last edited:
says [IMG]
UDPATE:

Tried the Hybrid MK on an all-wood blade for the past 3 weeks. Afraid of being too slow, I decided to go with my good old Infinity VPS (88gr). The Infinity VPS is what I would describe as a "nervous" blade for the short game. I was pleasantly surprised using Hybrid MK on the FH. The combination offers a very high level of control. Of course, compared to Viscaria, you'll miss out on those real fast paced topspin shots and the crisp feeling what an outer-ALC blade brings.

Normally I don't switch equipment mid-season, but Infinity VPS with Hybrid MK on FH (Hexer Grip on BH), is currently my main setup. Definitely not the fastest setup, but my level of consistency is increased greatly. As a result, I'm playing more aggressive and faster compared with the Viscaria.

Side notes:
  • Re-glued Hybrid MK rubber multiple times and there is no noticeable shrinkage.
  • Top sheet still looks fine

This user has no status.
ok so i've played already with it twice this week after trying it last year.
i am using Tibhar Carbon MK + MK (max) + K3 (max)
my old setup i have been using for many years:
Nittaku Acoustic Carbon Inner + T80 (1.9) + D80 (1.9)

I'm not an EJ and dont change a lot. i had a very good feeling with the racket last December hence my purchase. i wanted to go try an Outer because before i felt I could never control with it.

But after 2 sessions, I'm quite upset: the new racket doesn't feel like what i remembered when i first tried it before the purchase.

Especially, i was surprised how slow my shots were this week. Its most evident with FH smash where i feel I'm a little kid hitting now ! The balls are spinny, esp with BH, but I feel less spin than with Butterfly. I now wonder if the setup i tried in December was boosted. Probably ?

The other side of the coin, is that it's easier to put the ball on the table, especially in rallies, half a step or more from the table and to use the speed of the opponent.

The trajectories are shorter too. I think this racket is good for players who like to hit hard all shots, in good physical condition, and good footwork / technique, because in this case, as you have more safety, you can hit harder. another member of my team is playing with a similar setup, all in Tibhar, but he's built like a top sportsman.

I think where this racket is very good is in the short game. it is more immune to the opponent spin, and on short balls its very safe to use the wrist to put underspin in a push, i wish i could do this that easily with my old setup.

all in all, i don't know. this racket cost me a lot so i don't want to give up. despite the advantage in the short game, i feel right now that overall i'm at a disadvantage using it rather than the old setup. but i'll keep trying for at least a month or 2.
ive been playing for a month and a half now with this setup.

the above i think is still true. I am making some adjustments in my technique. There is a real need to brush the ball all the time with the FH side else because of the lack of speed of the rubber the ball will not have enough quality. so it's important to have a racket angle below 45 degrees and cover the ball forward when swinging.
when you add the spin to the ball, then with this rubber, you can have a better acceleration of the ball after the bounce as result.

with BH, it's important to arm the backswing a bit early to facilitate a stronger impact. important to watch for the racket angle too.

basically, even when you do a softer shot, there is a need to really accelerate the ball. a half hearted swing or shot will be an even more terrible result with those rubbers than with Tenergy.

just my 0.02$

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
The racket may be good for your game if your age can handle it. I personally don't like too much catapult anymore, I just prefer to generate the power myself so I know what I put in is what I am getting. I just need to be more calculated on serve return with it. But at least you have your old racket to go back to if you want to. But for me, I need to work on my serve return so that the strategy and approach is clear and I think my current rubbers put me in a good place to do that.

Reactions: riemsesy
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2016
I can verify that HMK has low catapult, much lower than K3 for example.
HMK is not the most spinny rubber, but spinny enough and nearly not sensitive to incoming spin :)

For me it is a very nice backhand rubber.