Choosing equipments based on my style

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2019
Hello. I've been playing table tennis for more than 4 years, I currently using DHS X-4002 for these past 3 months or so, and want to improve my game

I am more like a short to mid (mainly mid) range who likes to attack and do topspin loop. I usually open the rally with that loop since the beginning (or flick, if opponent's service is short, if possible) or 3rd ball attack. I can and occasionally use chop far away from table or do block / lob but my main game is attacking, overwhelming my opponent with my loop. I am pretty confident in both wing (backhand or forehand)

After few research, I am probably gonna buy Tibhar Stratus Power Wood as my blade, but kind of confused of what rubber will I choose, depending on my aforementioned styles.

I know basically (almost all) that flex blade should be paired with hard rubber, and stiff blade paired with soft rubber

So, is SPW stiff or flex? I read the review on revspin.net but hesitate about what it means.

Maybe Tibhar Evolution MX family, or even use tenergy?

Please do give me some insight of how I should take consideration.

Ps: will come back to edit these if I have more info to deliver. I am on the rush now. Btw I'm new here. My name is John and I am from Indonesia. Nice to know you all!

Edit:
Please don't hesitate to ask me if you need more info to give me recommendations. I will be happily answer

Reactions: nivekkan
This user has no status.
I don't think I can give you very good advice but I just want to know if you were using a DHS premade, which I'm almost sure that it has chinese style rubbers, what makes you want to change to a euro style rubber(mx-) and why not keep using this kind of rubber on your new blade, especially for your forehand?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2019
I don't think I can give you very good advice but I just want to know if you were using a DHS premade, which I'm almost sure that it has chinese style rubbers, what makes you want to change to a euro style rubber(mx-) and why not keep using this kind of rubber on your new blade, especially for your forehand?
Aha. Let's talk more about that

If I can say, my playstyle kind of resemble Ma Long to some extend (of course to a lesser extent [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]), looping machine far at the table

I'm not really a close-to-table-guy I'd rather say

After researching and stuff, I was decided (in mind, yet to buy) that I might follow "chinese" Path (yes, flex blade with hard tacky chinese rubber)

But when I try my friend's racket (maybe they're using european? Kind of palio ak 47, yasaka xtend, tibhar evolution mx?) I felt like I can do much more with that whatever setting (than my, yes premade DHS 4002C).

FYI, my DHS 4002C's rubber is Hurricane 2 and C888

Can you explain more about that chinese and european thing? I read it once but still, more insights are better hehe

If however I can choose this chinese path and just need to adjust myself, training (instead of the equipment) I will do.

But whatdya say about my current eq?

I read the review that my rubber is (somewhat) good (for its price) and maybe appropriate for me at my current level. But the blade (the review says) kinda dissapointing(?) Do you know something bout that? I don't mind buying new, better and more suitable blade and new chinese rubber if that's the case

My impression bout my current equipment?

Hurricane is red, C888 is black

Before, I wasn't really understand that they different or anything, (or have different..what should I say it, "when to use it")

So I used black as my forehand and my loop kind of not consistent

These past few days, I realized that my red (hurricane) is more powerful and accomodating for my "Ma Long" playstyle, and whenever I try the same (forehand loop, for example) with c888 i failed. So recently I use that c888 for my backhand

But one thing, i feel like that c888 is much more suitable for serve (generating spin at gentle touch?) And I find it harder to do (pendulum, or any heavy-rely-to-backspin) serve with hurricane.

Are my impressions right?

Sent from my POCOPHONE F1 using Tapatalk

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2019
Wait, so you're saying my current rubber is actually already okay so I only need better and find compatible blade for..hurricane?

So basically it's not actually rubber's fault...good enough already for the current me?

Hmmm...interesting!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2019
Xiom Offensive S with Hurricane 3 fh and Vega Europe bh 2.0mm
Really? Can you please describe a bit about their characteristics?

Can play like looping machine? Like Ma Long? [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23] want it...

That are chinese settings?
Eh wait, you sure give me hurricane 3?
I read it at one post that we need to regularly "boost" (whatever it means) the rubber?

And also...because it's a chinese playstyle, I need to have proper technique, and provide my own power to generate spin and speed right?

Last edited:
This user has no status.
Chinese rubbers are tacky (sticky) and hard whereas European rubbers are not tacky and are bouncy (the catapult effect). There are a little bit more details to it but that is the general picture.
You don't HAVE to boost Chinese rubbers (e.g. Hurricane 3) but it does help (more lively?) Although I don't know for sure because I haven't tried it myself.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Hello. I've been playing table tennis for more than 4 years, I currently using DHS X-4002 for these past 3 months or so, and want to improve my game

I am more like a short to mid (mainly mid) range who likes to attack and do topspin loop. I usually open the rally with that loop since the beginning (or flick, if opponent's service is short, if possible) or 3rd ball attack. I can and occasionally use chop far away from table or do block / lob but my main game is attacking, overwhelming my opponent with my loop. I am pretty confident in both wing (backhand or forehand)

After few research, I am probably gonna buy Tibhar Stratus Power Wood as my blade, but kind of confused of what rubber will I choose, depending on my aforementioned styles.

I know basically (almost all) that flex blade should be paired with hard rubber, and stiff blade paired with soft rubber

So, is SPW stiff or flex? I read the review on revspin.net but hesitate about what it means.

Maybe Tibhar Evolution MX family, or even use tenergy?

Please do give me some insight of how I should take consideration.

Ps: will come back to edit these if I have more info to deliver. I am on the rush now. Btw I'm new here. My name is John and I am from Indonesia. Nice to know you all!

Edit:
Please don't hesitate to ask me if you need more info to give me recommendations. I will be happily answer
You play at a level where it hardly matters what you use.
Pick anything you like and have fun and learn from it. Even top players experiment with their equipment from time to time so why should you pretend your evolving style depends on what you are using that strongly?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2019
Concentrate on developing your strokes. The ones suggested to you are generally acceptable equipment.
Xiom Offensive S for blade,
Hurricane 3 for FH,
Xiom Vega Europe 2.2 mm for BH

Will do?

I have found the store that sells all of it. I'll buy it.

Ah, do I need to...seal the blade or something? This is my first time...

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2019
You play at a level where it hardly matters what you use.
Pick anything you like and have fun and learn from it. Even top players experiment with their equipment from time to time so why should you pretend your evolving style depends on what you are using that strongly?
I just want to know (for example) is xiom offensive "flex" or "stiff", and hurricane 3 "hard" or "soft" rubber..that kind of stuff hehe

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2019
I think tenergy is a waste of money if you have only played a little more than 4 years. Better to use the money for something else.
Sure, I'm not planning on buying tenergy, viscaria, etc for the time being. I am well aware that they (tenergies..fam) are very2 good BUT not really for beginner.

I put myself in a position...where I'm not that pro,

Kind of..intermediate-growing player

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2019
I find Yinhe Jupiter II (38 degree sponge) to be easier to use than Hurricane 3. That one extra degree of softness seems to be more forgiving. It's also cheaper and performs decently without boosting.
What is hardness on Hurricane 3, and vega europe?

Maybe I'll buy H3 (FH) and vega europe (BH)

If I were to change H3 with that yinhe, is it good to be my forehand?

Ah yes, what is the hardness of my current H2?

Hurricane 3 for FH,

Will do?

2.0mm for the vega europe only. You can seal the blade no problem. Only a thin layer. Hurricane 3 39 degrees

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2019
2.0mm for the vega europe only. You can seal the blade no problem. Only a thin layer. Hurricane 3 39 degrees
Ah :( the shop only have 2.2 mm it seems..

2.2mm is MAX right? Do you have reason why telling me 2.0? What will be the difference?

39 degree is kind of medium hard right?
What about the europe vega? What degree?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2019
Chinese rubbers are tacky (sticky) and hard whereas European rubbers are not tacky and are bouncy (the catapult effect). There are a little bit more details to it but that is the general picture.
You don't HAVE to boost Chinese rubbers (e.g. Hurricane 3) but it does help (more lively?) Although I don't know for sure because I haven't tried it myself.
Okay I'll keep using chinese rubber for my forehand since I already use H2

Should I change H2 to other (maybe better) chinese rubber for now? Because chinese rubbers are hard, I should pick kinda flex blade
Xiom Offensive S flex or nah?

H3? Yinhe Jupiter II?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2019
Hurricane 3 for FH,

Will do?

Buy from tabletennis11. They carry everything, and can seal and assemble it for you.