Removing residue glue from blade?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2014
Read 3 reviews
Does anyone know of a trick to remove tiny bits of residue glue from blades? I borrowed some glue a while ago that was really thin and it has been hell to remove. I've scrubbed for ages and got most of it out from the middle, but there is still like a very thin layer and residual glue everywhere, mostly on the edges.

Is there some kind of solution I could pour on the blade that will remove the glue without damaging it?

Thanks all. :)

It's hard to see even in the picture.

20211227_122918.jpg

Reactions: Equaaz
This user has no status.
Does anyone know of a trick to remove tiny bits of residue glue from blades? I borrowed some glue a while ago that was really thin and it has been hell to remove. I've scrubbed for ages and got most of it out from the middle, but there is still like a very thin layer and residual glue everywhere, mostly on the edges.

Is there some kind of solution I could pour on the blade that will remove the glue without damaging it?

20211227_122918.jpg
You can apply a few layers of glue to just the blade, when it has a thick enough layer, it’s peel it all off. If it’s just little bits, scrub it off with a rubber cleaning sponge

Reactions: Richie
says Table tennis clown
says Table tennis clown
Apr 2020
I have just used the palm of my hand to rubber the blade. The glue warms up and will start to roll in little clumps. Heating the blade with a hair dryer will warm up the rubber faster and save some skin.

WARNING ! Heating a blade with a hair dryer can lead to bending and warping . !!!!!!!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2014
Read 3 reviews
Thanks all

I tried a bit more earlier and gave up and just glued rubbers on anyway, there isn't much left on there but it's annoying. Never had anything like it. Even with extra glue layers on some weird glue is still left after taking it off. I also tried rubbing with left over rubber pieces but I need to scrub hard with my finger tips to get it off, it hardly even goes off, just moves to another spot on the blade. Maybe next time I'll try heating it. Can the heat really damage the wood?

says Table tennis clown
says Table tennis clown
Apr 2020
Thanks all

I tried a bit more earlier and gave up and just glued rubbers on anyway, there isn't much left on there but it's annoying. Never had anything like it. Even with extra glue layers on some weird glue is still left after taking it off. I also tried rubbing with left over rubber pieces but I need to scrub hard with my finger tips to get it off, it hardly even goes off, just moves to another spot on the blade. Maybe next time I'll try heating it. Can the heat really damage the wood?

Considering it was (or still is) a very thin layer of residual glue , you probably did the best that could be done by simply gluing a new rubber over the top of it. 😁

Heating virtually any laminate , especially if done on one side only, is definitively a risk.

In my early "gluing days" i used "glue-sheets" and they could be a complete pain in the arse to remove.
Actually a rag with some mineral turpentine or white spirits carefully applied would remove any glue residue on the blade quite easily

BUT do not try it on the rubbers, unless you want a permanently """boosted""" sponge 😁😁😁

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2017

WARNING ! Heating a blade with a hair dryer can lead to bending and warping . !!!!!!!

Have you done it? I want to see a video of you warping a paddle or this is BS.
If could only happen if you heat one side much more than the other and it would need to be MUCH more heat than what is required to make the rubber soft and tacky.

Last edited:
says Table tennis clown
says Table tennis clown
Apr 2020
Have you done it? I want to see a video of you warping a paddle or this is BS.
If could only happen if you heat one side much more than the other and it would need to be MUCH more heat than what is required to make the rubber soft and tacky.

have we got a misunderstanding here ?
We are not talking about heating rubber but old hard glue that is difficult to remove.

I suggest an experiment with some old crappy wooden blade. Hold a metal straight-edge on the blade surface to check if it is level (it is not likely that it is)
then heat one side only and re-check.

says Rozena! You complete me.
says Rozena! You complete me.
Mar 2021

20211227_122918.jpg
Me sad SOD previously. Then Me get to know Butterfly Free Chack II glue.

Now me happy, residue easily removed just like those pencil eraser clump.

One quick rub and it all drops off.

More time to play TT.

• Haha
Reactions: Richie and lodro