Setup suggestion/Technique Problem ?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2020
Hello everyone,

I am not sure if this is the right place to ask. So I have been watching a lot of videos lately about technique and setups etc. and I just wanna be sure I am using a good setup to develop my table tennis game.

I play table tennis for 3-5years now (Don´t wanna count the first 2 years so it should be 2 years only with the corona year gap in between)
started very late at the age of 20(dont wanna count the 10 minutes in a week in school years) now I am 25 and I am from Austria. with a rating of 1200 currently with the aim of being somewhere 1800.

My blade that I have been using for 3 years now: Donic Waldner Senso Diablo. I don´t see anyone recommending this blade ever so here I am asking you guys is it somewhat "outdated" or could it be not the proper blade for someone like me?

FH Rubbers I have used: Acuda S3, Aurus 2.1, Aurus Prime 2.1, R48 2.1, MX-P 1.9-2.00, EL-S 1.9-2.0, Xiom Omega VII Pro 2.0 (my current rubber),
BH Rubbers: Aurus 2.1, Prime 2.1, now using Gewo Hype KR 47.5 2.1 (for over a year training 5x per week - I already ordered a pair of 2.1 and 1.9 to see if I should go back to 1.9)

I have a really good feeling when it comes to defensive balls that I just bring to the other side. When it comes to looping during the matches it just feels like I am watching first if the ball hits the other side (because I don´t know if it does after I hit it) and then I might be too late for the next attacking ball.

Since I didn´t have a better Setup than this I am not sure if this is normal in terms of feedback or if there is a Setup that helps me develop a good feeling where I immediately know how I hit the ball whether its gonna land on the other side or not.

Videos:
youtube.com/watch?v=QfKQEemngEo&list=PLYr1TSq_v-0EWVqnsdMaix1XlJMMRcAAC&index=1

Maybe I can get some help to get better in table tennis.

I have to commend You on the videos. Its just about the best I have seen as a description of oneself, well done.

I see nothing outdated about this blade. I think it is what is called innerforce (carbon in Your case fiberglass close to the core).
A good setup would be something not too fast. Maybe MXP and Aurus Prime is too fast. You could try Rakza 7, Its a little bit softer (~45)
I noticed that You have a tendency to hit long. I do the same when I am "over rubbered". This could mean that Your rubber is too fast.
You can try to close Your racket angle more.

Other people will chime in with more advice.

Cheers
L-zr

says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
Jan 2018
Many of your FH shots land short, often hitting the net tape. Hit harder. Don't be afraid of going long. Once you get the spin going, the shots will land. Your confidence will build up.

Your BH is a little better, but could hit harder as well.

To help add more power to your stroke, get your coach to feed you multiball instead so you don't have to worry about missing. Your strokes look decent. You could handle that.

Last edited:
Reactions: ttarc and Tipiak
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2017
I Iike your strokes. You could accelerate a bit more but it is good you focus on technique, you must have a pretty decent coach.

Maybe you could get a bit lower with your legs, I know that is hard as you are super tall but it could maybe help with lower bouncing balls.

But the foundation is good, just need to learn to keep the same Form with a bit more power.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2020
Thanks for the feedback guys.

Lazer you said my shots are too long? And others said my shots go more in to the net than outside. How do you Spin while hitting harder?
Am I supposed to open the racket a bit up and do a faster stroke or close the racket and hit it faster and more forward?
How do I know if I get a really good spin. My coach plays 2 leagues above me so if he can block my shots I feel like it´s not enough?

I will film myself today and upload it tomorrow. Maybe we can go into more details. My coach is trying to help but all the stuff about technique I taught it myself by watching a few videos on the internet. My Coach doesn´t want me to hit hard but slower and more consistent.

He also told me that when I do my backhand topspin I move too much with my upper body. He says my upper body has to stand still. Also that I need to get back to my starting position with the racket faster. But that´s because I don´t know if my loop will land on the other side of the table or not I then start to block etc. as you can see in the match videos... Its like a domino effect.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2020
Also yes I am tall with 196cm

Should I keep my setup? Xiom Omega VII Pro 2.0 and GEWO HYPE KR 47.5 2.1mm on donic waldner diablo senso

Since we have Corona break here, this would be the best time to try out something else. Otherwise I keep the setup and just get better at it and try to get in more power

Brs

This user has no status.

Brs

This user has no status.
Oct 2015
Keep your setup for now. Let your arm go. You are holding it back. Turn your body a bit more explosively, and let your arm go freely with the body turn. Zeio is right that multiball would be easier to start that with because you won't worry about missing more at first.

Thanks for the feedback guys.

Lazer you said my shots are too long? And others said my shots go more in to the net than outside. How do you Spin while hitting harder?
Am I supposed to open the racket a bit up and do a faster stroke or close the racket and hit it faster and more forward?
How do I know if I get a really good spin. My coach plays 2 leagues above me so if he can block my shots I feel like it´s not enough?

I will film myself today and upload it tomorrow. Maybe we can go into more details. My coach is trying to help but all the stuff about technique I taught it myself by watching a few videos on the internet. My Coach doesn´t want me to hit hard but slower and more consistent.

He also told me that when I do my backhand topspin I move too much with my upper body. He says my upper body has to stand still. Also that I need to get back to my starting position with the racket faster. But that´s because I don´t know if my loop will land on the other side of the table or not I then start to block etc. as you can see in the match videos... Its like a domino effect.
Your first topspin is often in then your second is often out. When you counter topspin you need to have a closed racket and hit a bit flatter than when you topspin an backspin or slow ball.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2020
I did an excellent (in my opinion compared to previous trainings) training today. Obviously it´s hard to keep everything in mind. But it shows my best and further more my current form atleast. Sadly I have reached the youtubes upload limit, so I can upload it tomorrow earliest. I will make a reply here as soon as I have it.

Let your arm go. You are holding it back. Turn your body a bit more explosively, and let your arm go freely with the body turn.

I am not exactly sure what you mean with I am holding my arm back? But lets see tomorrow in the videos if I am still doing it wrong as u said. Maybe I will understand it better.

Zeio is right that multiball would be easier to start that with because you won't worry about missing more at first.

I don´t have much chance to do that sadly.

And because I live in this beautiful country I won´t be playing for the next 20 days atleast (minimum). But lots of times to analyse how bad I am and improve on that once I can go back to the table.

Thank you for all the help.

says Rozena! You complete me.
says Rozena! You complete me.
Mar 2021
Hello everyone,I am not sure if this is the right place to ask. So I have been watching a lot of videos lately about technique and setups etc. and I just wanna be sure I am using a good setup to develop my table tennis game.I play table tennis for 3-5years now (Don´t wanna count the first 2 years so it should be 2 years only with the corona year gap in between)started very late at the age of 20(dont wanna count the 10 minutes in a week in school years) now I am 25 and I am from Austria. with a rating of 1200 currently with the aim of being somewhere 1800.My blade that I have been using for 3 years now: Donic Waldner Senso Diablo. I don´t see anyone recommending this blade ever so here I am asking you guys is it somewhat "outdated" or could it be not the proper blade for someone like me?FH Rubbers I have used: Acuda S3, Aurus 2.1, Aurus Prime 2.1, R48 2.1, MX-P 1.9-2.00, EL-S 1.9-2.0, Xiom Omega VII Pro 2.0 (my current rubber),BH Rubbers: Aurus 2.1, Prime 2.1, now using Gewo Hype KR 47.5 2.1 (for over a year training 5x per week - I already ordered a pair of 2.1 and 1.9 to see if I should go back to 1.9)I have a really good feeling when it comes to defensive balls that I just bring to the other side. When it comes to looping during the matches it just feels like I am watching first if the ball hits the other side (because I don´t know if it does after I hit it) and then I might be too late for the next attacking ball.Since I didn´t have a better Setup than this I am not sure if this is normal in terms of feedback or if there is a Setup that helps me develop a good feeling where I immediately know how I hit the ball whether its gonna land on the other side or not.Videos:youtube.com/watch?v=QfKQEemngEo&list=PLYr1TSq_v-0EWVqnsdMaix1XlJMMRcAAC&index=1Maybe I can get some help to get better in table tennis.
I saw your video.

Your physique makes the table look short. It is my dry humour, don't mind me. It is my way of saying, you are a tall guy.

First of, your strokes are good mechanically. I meant to say the fundamentals are there.

OK, here are my other comments.

At some point in time, when you are ready, which I think you are, you should put more ommph into your shots. In the video you hit like a pussy. Some U15 girls can hit harder than you in the video. Maybe in the video you are holding back to show us your fundamentals, maybe, I am not sure. Perhaps you are. If you are, then I apologize in advance for making a wrong assumption.

Some take home message: When you loop, either you do a loop kill like the Ma Long / Fan Zhendong type for instant kill or a slow spinny loop as a opening / set-up for a second FH drive kill.

When you drive, you need to put a little more force into your shots to end the point. A little more acceleration into your shots during the contact point. This is for your game. However if in the video you are just practicing the strokes then it is ok and well done. Remember the concept: Relax, Explode then relax.

There are a number of European tall guys that you can take a look for inspiration such as Patrick Franziska, Dimitri Ovtcharov et al.

Last edited:
Jan 2018
You're at the stage where you need to hit harder. No way around it. In fact, hitting harder in training will improve your consistency in matches because you'll hold back. You don't get fed balls to your power zone in matches. The way you're holding back right now will only hurt your matchplay and slow your progress. You need the thick, solid contact to advance to the next stage. Don't worry about stroke linking or shot continuity. Those will come after you can land your shots at 70% power when you dial back to 50%.

Focus on landing the shots near the end line. You'll hit through the ball naturally. You'll learn to graze the ball to up the spin if it goes long. You'll open the blade angle or wait for the ball to drop if it catches the net. Don't be self-conscious about anything else. Get used to hitting at 70% power. You'll adapt.

Reactions: Tipiak
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2020
Alright guys sorry for the convenience. It is updated now. I put the old videos into the 2020 Playlist and the newer one in 2021
Playlist 2020
Playlist 2021

5-15 Games from my last few league games.
Yesterdays training start at Number 15 in the 2021 Playlist : Training Part 1 - 2021-11-19

Last Trainingsmatch was vs my "coach" 0-3 he plays 2 Leagues higher than me and usually plays in the middle of the standings in his league. But I think this was my best performance against him attacking wise.

Today I actually felt like I was in a good form (compared to my past form) but still a long way to go of course.

I am excited to hear what you guys think. And please if you have an example put the video title and the tell me the timestamp so I can go look back what you refer to.

Jan 2018
https://youtu.be/DVm02m_Jh9A?list=PLYr1TSq_v-0EWVqnsdMaix1XlJMMRcAAC&t=58

Your partner is a good example of hitting hard with thick, solid contact. Note many of his shots land close to the end line and he tries to increase the power slowly but steadily. Aim for that.

By comparison, on your turn, you tend to brush the ball more. Compare the sound his racket makes with that of your own shots. Try to hit through the ball more instead. Drop your racket less on the backswing and swing forward more and you'll hit the blade edge less.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2019
I did an excellent (in my opinion compared to previous trainings) training today. Obviously it´s hard to keep everything in mind. But it shows my best and further more my current form atleast. Sadly I have reached the youtubes upload limit, so I can upload it tomorrow earliest. I will make a reply here as soon as I have it.

I am not exactly sure what you mean with I am holding my arm back? But lets see tomorrow in the videos if I am still doing it wrong as u said. Maybe I will understand it better.

I don´t have much chance to do that sadly.

And because I live in this beautiful country I won´t be playing for the next 20 days atleast (minimum). But lots of times to analyse how bad I am and improve on that once I can go back to the table.

Thank you for all the help.

hi Zezima
in general your technique is ok but you do a high percentage of misses, air shots, etc. Do you wear contacts? (check them) otherwise: Sometimes it seems that your footwork is a little sluggish which may lead to some of those. You move well for a large guy but perhaps an extra effort would benefit. I think you should think about the quality of yr ball contact and be more conscious of the arc you need to put on the ball during the split second of contact. In the end quality is paramount in every part of yr game:-
footwork
ball contact
concentration
fitness
motivation
if yr quality is perfect on the first stroke but fails on the tenth then it is all for nothing

multiball why not?

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2020

Thanks for your answer zeio. I just see that my racket is more closed compared to him and I aim more to hit the ball from above rather than direct and try to give the ball more spin (yes it ends up slower than his shots I guess).

Hard to compare the sounds because he plays a completely different racket and rubbers than me.

Whenever I hit the ball "flatter" it goes out or its like a drive rather than a topspin with arc.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2020

hi Zezima
in general your technique is ok but you do a high percentage of misses, air shots, etc. Do you wear contacts? (check them) otherwise: Sometimes it seems that your footwork is a little sluggish which may lead to some of those. You move well for a large guy but perhaps an extra effort would benefit. I think you should think about the quality of yr ball contact and be more conscious of the arc you need to put on the ball during the split second of contact. In the end quality is paramount in every part of yr game:-
footwork
ball contact
concentration
fitness
motivation
if yr quality is perfect on the first stroke but fails on the tenth then it is all for nothing

multiball why not?

if you mean with contacts eye lenses no I don´t use it. I am just really good at missing balls compared to everyone else. It might have something to do with my footwoork or just me having a flat racket and doing a move upwards instead of forward into the ball maybe?

Have you guys checked out the Part 10-13 where I play against my "coach" The first few parts are just warm up shots.

Are there any shots I do "right" in the games maybe an example with timestamp? So I can try to reproduce that more or are all shots really just weak and its a fundemental problem?

How should I hit the ball. I can give the ball more arc during drills but then its super slow and its still easy blockable. Also my footwork is sluggish because I am not that good at anticipating yet so I stand still and wait where the next ball will go and then move (mostly late and then its just a rescue shot/block by me)

Sadly with the lockdown for 20 days(minimum) it wont help much for my footwork and fitness but I will try to do some exercises at home maybe be more active outside (even tho its almost 0°C degrees here)

multiball is not an option because I have noone to do that with me. I can´t tell someone who just wanna do 1-2 drills and then play match to feed me balls. They wouldn´t even be able to do it properly so I can only do it with my coach sometimes.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2019

Thanks for your answer zeio. I just see that my racket is more closed compared to him and I aim more to hit the ball from above rather than direct and try to give the ball more spin (yes it ends up slower than his shots I guess).

Hard to compare the sounds because he plays a completely different racket and rubbers than me.

Whenever I hit the ball "flatter" it goes out or its like a drive rather than a topspin with arc.

when you make a stroke do you always have a precise target?
if. not you should and you.must remember what racket. angle how hard and how much spin you used each time you hit or. miss the. endline. Successful players do this. If this is a constant part of yr practice method you ought. to improve.
you could ask your coach to give you a 100 ball rally test. If. you fail this then yr level of concentration maybe an issue

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2020

when you make a stroke do you always have a precise target?
if. not you should and you.must remember what racket. angle how hard and how much spin you used each time you hit or. miss the. endline. Successful players do this. If this is a constant part of yr practice method you ought. to improve.
you could ask your coach to give you a 100 ball rally test. If. you fail this then yr level of concentration maybe an issue

well the target is usually play it to the forehand side or backhand side. I dont aim towards one single point. I am the end of the line but even here I heard pros use so much spin and dont aim to the end line to not have a chance to miss the table? But I could have misunderstood something here. Either way I try to land the shots in the last 1/5 of the table as my aim. I am not at a level to say how much spin I generated. Because some people hit really hard and they say they had lots of spin in there but for me its just a smash(it looks like the shot in the first Part of the video with the kid where he lands a really fast shot that I didnt bring to his side. Training Part 1 1:09

What is a 100 ball rally test? 100 topspins without a single mistake? or Just the warm up practise which is the same what we did in Part 1 just 100 times hits from each player?