Looking for a Table Tennis Blade

This user has no status.
Hi guys. I am looking for a table-tennis blade that is extremely light weight (preferably under 75 grams), has lots of control, and decent speed. My style is FH attack, BH attack/defense (similar to Chen Weixing). Mid-distance looping is one of my favorites. Can anyone suggest a blade that would fit this criteria:
1. Weight is preferably under 75 grams
2. Suitable for mid-distance looping as well as close-to-the-table attacks
3. Excellent amount of control
4. Decent amount of speed for drives and loops (I play mostly offensive, especially with my FH)
5. Suitable for BH chops and blocks (I need to be able to chop with my BH)

I don't care about the price as I am close to my wits end trying to find a table-tennis blade that is suitable. Can anyone help me?

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Hi guys. I am looking for a table-tennis blade that is extremely light weight (preferably under 75 grams), has lots of control, and decent speed. My style is FH attack, BH attack/defense (similar to Chen Weixing). Mid-distance looping is one of my favorites. Can anyone suggest a blade that would fit this criteria:
1. Weight is preferably under 75 grams
2. Suitable for mid-distance looping as well as close-to-the-table attacks
3. Excellent amount of control
4. Decent amount of speed for drives and loops (I play mostly offensive, especially with my FH)
5. Suitable for BH chops and blocks (I need to be able to chop with my BH)

I don't care about the price as I am close to my wits end trying to find a table-tennis blade that is suitable. Can anyone help me?
Any particular reason you want something so light?

You are asking for a lot of things that are kind of hard to go together:

Fast and Control sort of doing battle against each other.

Decent amount of speed and really light also are not quite so easy to put together: Balsa/Carbon blades are good for smashing and flat hitting and can be really light, but they are not so good for chopping or looping. :)

All Hinoki 5 and 7 ply blades and be quite light and decently fast. But, I am not sure you are going to find one with the speed you want and the weight....

Is the reason for such a light blade an injury? Do you play shakehand or penhold?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2021

CWX chops with LP
Light defensive would be the balsas - TSP 2.5 / Black Balsa 3.0 for example.
Cheap, funky and offensive (TT-wise) would be Yinhe T-9

Reactions: csxstars8696

If you want to go on the existing blade market, go check out Dr.Neubauer blades. I've played with the Titan for a year, and it is a fast blade with a lot of control. It's made nearly 100% out of balsa wood, which is very light. Only drawbacks are its price (140€) and for me, at least, the shape. The head is wider and not as long as other blades.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2021
Read 1 reviews
Check-out the following blades (In no particular order of preference)
  • XVT Balsa Hinoki Carbon (I have 2 of these, both weighing under 70gms) ..
  • Sanwei Feather Carbon (The ones I've seen/tried weighed around 72gm - 77gms)
  • TSP Trinity Carbon - Superb lightweight blade (You can get ones that're <=75gms) Although it has a balsa core, and also Carbon layers, it has good feeling, and not much of that so-called Balsa Effect.
  • Reimpact T4 - Never tried this blade, but from what I gather, Reimpact specializes in light-weight blades.
  • Sanwei M8 - This would be the cheapest of them all... You'll find one weighing <=75gms.. I dunno the composition, but it has no balsa. Don't be fooled by the low-price.. It's a lovely light-weight blade (actually meant for kids) .. Excellent control. Pairs well with pimpled rubbers.. I'd say it's All+, but paired with a faster rubbers, it'll offer a decent attacking options, a bit away from the table..
For light-weight rubbers (In no particular order of preference)
  • Donic Coppa X1 (Either Gold or Platin)
  • Victas V > 15
  • Palio AK-47 (Red or Blue... I have both, and they feel fairly light-weight, but fast)
  • Friendship Focus 3 Snipe (I have this one too... Lightweight, and okay speed)
  • Xiom Vega Europe (I play with this one .. Light'ish and offers okay speed)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2019
Read 3 reviews
My son wanted about the same properties in a blade, so I found a carbon blade. Palio CAT https://revspin.net/blade/palio-cat.html. I bought two blades and the weight is 68 & 69 grams. He plays an offensive game with Dignics 05, Xiom Omega V Tour and Stiga DNA Pro M.

Another one that he didn't prefer was Palio R57 https://revspin.net/blade/palio-r57-soft-carbon.html, because of the "heavy" weight. 73 grams. This seems to be in the same range as the Palio CAT.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2019
Read 1 reviews
For light-weight rubbers (In no particular order of preference)
  • Donic Coppa X1 (Either Gold or Platin)
  • Victas V > 15
  • Palio AK-47 (Red or Blue... I have both, and they feel fairly light-weight, but fast)
  • Friendship Focus 3 Snipe (I have this one too... Lightweight, and okay speed)
  • Xiom Vega Europe (I play with this one .. Light'ish and offers okay speed)

Victas V>15? Maybe the soft (40°) V>15 Limber but not the Extra or Stiff. The Victas V>11 could be an option. Quite lightweight for a 47.5° ESN rubber (~42g - 43g in 2.0 mm) but not much lighter (if at all) than a Hurricane 3 (non-Neo) 39°...
Other options could be: TSP Ventus Spin = Victas Ventus Limber, Tibhar Aurus Sound but these are quite soft (40° ESN scale)
Blades: An interesting one is the Altius ST5 from Mizuno (Limba, Ayous, Kiri, Ayous, Limba) with a weight of 77g.
Quite cheap (38€/45 USD) in Japan https://tt-japan.net/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=4692 but not really available outside Japan...
Another blade that is available with a weight below 80g is the Tibhar Lebesson.

One thing more, the weight distribution is important. The more relative weight towards the head the heavier the blade will feel. That’s why see a number concerning this on Hipnotics (our resident blade builder) blades.

Cheers
L-zr

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2019
Read 1 reviews
Thanks so much for your guys' replies. I did have a wrist injury and am looking for a lighter blade with lots of control. The speed can be average, maybe something like an all.
The lighter Tibhar Lebessons are around All/All+ (had one of these when I started playing again 3 years ago) the heavier ones are All+ to Off-. If one doesn't like the longer handle one can try the Tibhar Samsonov Alpha (same structure but different handle).
Do you still play with the Joola Zelebro? According to some reviews this is an Off to Off+ blade so most (all?) blades mentioned so far are way slower.

This user has no status.
The lighter Tibhar Lebessons are around All/All+ (had one of these when I started playing again 3 years ago) the heavier ones are All+ to Off-. If one doesn't like the longer handle one can try the Tibhar Samsonov Alpha (same structure but different handle).
Do you still play with the Joola Zelebro? According to some reviews this is an Off to Off+ blade so most (all?) blades mentioned so far are way slower.

Yes, I still play with my Joola Zelebro, but I am very unhappy with it. It has too much speed, too much inconsistency, too heavy, too little control, etc. It also is terrible for chopping. I am very willing to try a much slower blade.

Reactions: ttarc
says toooooo much choice!!
says toooooo much choice!!
Jul 2020
Read 11 reviews
Hi,

Tibhar IVL balsa, 70grams, give or take, rated All / All+, very controllable!! You have the control!!! But this blade has user friendly characteristics!!!
I bought a couple of these for my kids when they started playing, it is not a children’s blade though, nice a light with Tibhar Aurus Sound on them, but this rubber / type of rubber is unlikely to suit you if you are use to the tacky ones.

Your rubbers may be quite heavy as well, normal thing with tacky hard sponge rubbers though. I’ve been using DHS H8-80 recently, this seems a little lighter than DHS H3Neo, not a lot, but a reduction in weight is exactly that!!!

Hope you find what you are looking for and that your wrist improves.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
If you do make quality spin contact you could try to find something like an old Butterfly Jonyer H (5 ply Hinoki) blade. When you make direct contact it feels a little slow. When you make good spin contact, it feels like it is a decent speed....like the high end of Off- or the low end of Off. But on direct contact it feels like All to All+.

You could also check with one of the blade makers on the site like Nate or Hipnotic and see if they can make something that you would like.

There are other 5 or 7 ply Hinoki blades that might work.

Like a Darker 7P-2A, you could probably find one of them that is around 75 grams and that would be faster than the Jonyer.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2019
Read 3 reviews
Regarding a tacky, more light weight rubber, I recall trying out Globe 999 in 2.0mm, and this was quite nice. A bit low throw, but really good spin and tacky. The sponge in 40 deg feels softer than 40 deg. The weight cut to a normal sized blad was 41g.

Otherwise the DHS Skyline TG3 and DHS Hurricane 2 NEO in 2.15mm 39 deg versions had lower weight than H3N, for me. Around 45g cut. Could be worth to try out if you're chasing grams. Yinhe Big Dipper is really nice too, but varies in weight. For me from 45 to 53g. You could perhaps ask to get one with lower weight.