Stiff 5 ply wood, does it exist?

Brs

This user has no status.

Brs

This user has no status.
Oct 2015
Some are going to be relatively stiffer than others, but not compared to 7-ply or carbon. You could try a composite blade that feels woodish. Either the WSC or MLSC, or if you feel like splashing out, an Acoustic carbon.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2018
Cornilleau Foco Off+ and Adidas C300, both 7.4mm super thick 5 ply woods. Extremely stiff ~1600hz, yet soft feeling.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
I think alot depends how you Combine with rubbers. How hard they are.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2015
I really like using Fextra 7 wood with pips on bh. Stiga mantra on fh.
Right now im using Yasaka Ma Lin Carbon with Vega Pro or Stiga mantra and Friendship 802-40 III pips on bh

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
I think Maybe you Do not need so hard and stiff blade If you use short pimple on the backhand. Feel like short pimple on the forehand is more for playing hard since you can use your body. Baxkhand more about pace and placement.

But i agree that the blade should not be to soft or have to high arc.

If you want to be able to smash well with all wood i think you need a pretty thick one.

I am interested in trying the yasaka goiabo or how it is spelled. 5 ply, not so thick But it seems from What i have seen from another player using it that it seems to be good to smash with.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
It takes weeks, even months to get familiar with a setup, so when you say you've tried Korbel twice I don't think that's enough to form a real opinion about it. I've seen your threads every now and then where you ask for advice about equipment, and that you also own quite a collection of stuff. My question is this: how much focus do you put on actual practice of technique? Strokes, footwork, serve, receive, short game, loop backspin? It doesn't matter what equipment is used really, Waldner could beat us with a book if we don't practice our technique.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2018
I never tried these, but if you want a notch down from classic 7 plies, look into the Yasaka Galaxya, Nittaku Adelie, and Donic Persson 7. Same construction, thinner.

I have used the Donic Persson Powerplay in my early days and it felt great, but maybe a little slow for short pips (<6mm). Not fast, but very nice substantial feeling. You might like it!

Unfortunately, I'm always looking for stuff in the opposite direction you are travelling haha.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
Haha We are talking about you and you asked about 5 ply all wood.

Think mazunov is to hard.
The yasaka i mentioned i think can work. Very thin though.
Have à friend that have yasaka extra offensive. Seems easy to loop with But he can also play hard. I have just smashed the ball hard in the net several Times to feel the blade. It felt as it would be possible to smash with it.

7 ply as mention above could work well to.

I think carbon blades is pretty good for short pimples as well. Do not agreee that you need to have all wood as many people mention with short pimple. I feel all wood often have so high arc.

À friend that play second highest league in Sweden with double short pimple use korbel sk7. Maybe try that one.

Reactions: lasta
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
I am always interested to see when, on my profile message board, it says that if you leave me a profile message, I will not see it till months later, how people still seem to leave them and then I delete them. :)

MOG, V+, V'King, I personally think you can use any blade. I think you have been EJing to such an extent that, if you used a blade that was a good fit, you would be on to the next setup before you ever realized you had been using a blade that was really good for you.

Choose something, anything, and stick with it. The blade is not what does the playing. You do. A blade will not significantly change your level. Your thinking you played really well with a certain setup because you beat someone, this is folly. Choose a setup. Stick with it for a year. Then we can talk. :)

BTW: you have asked me about V+ and V'King before on at least 3 separate occasions. I definitely would not give you the answer now that I gave you then. But I see no actual reason to give you an answer on either blade. Because there is no answer for the EJ virus. And what you are asking is not actually what you think you are asking. Only you can cure yourself. :)

By the way, for the record, I think you can see what my profile says I use. I also think you know I own both a V'King and the blade it says I use in my profile. And the blade it says I use, is still the blade I use.

Train. Practice. Develop your technique, your footwork. If you use SP, use them like SP. Don't use them to mask a weakness in returning serves and then try to use them as though they are smooth for the rest of the rally. Forget about changing equipment and learn to use the equipment you use.

Last edited: