Removing 40 year old Table Tennis Rubbers

MOT

This user has no status.

MOT

This user has no status.
Apr 2022
Hi,

Posted a while back after returning to TT and thanks to all for the helpful advice. Have decided to also use my original Stiga blade from the 80s as well as newer blade if it is feasible to remove the 40 year plus rubbers. Any advice on removal gratefully received.

Think I will put the same Razka 7 rubbers on but tempted to try 7 soft on FH as I still tend to over shoot the table a bit. It’s obviously poor technic :) but maybe a little more control?

thanks all

JHB

says Aged and infirm of purpose
I think "slowly and carefully" is the best I can offer offhand. I did exactly the same when I came back to playing in 2014; my old rubbers had crystallised, and were originally put on with Copydex or something of that ilk, so they were well stuck, Even though I was careful, I still removed several pieces of the (thin) top veneer along with the rubbers and had to spend some while applying plastic wood, drying it and then sanding it flat before I could apply new rubbers.

My old Stiga bat still did me for a year or two though. My only issue came when I was offered lots of Euros for the blade by a collector - taking close-up photos of the blade and then viewing them at full size revealed cracking in the neck, which stymied the sale as the collector intended to actually play with the blade. You may well find yours is the same, depending on where it was kept for al the years you weren't playing. Good luck !