My Bad Jun Mizutani Serve

This user has no status.
Why do you raise your elbow so high?

http://prntscr.com/1lg5u5

Don't lower your blade like that, try to keep the topsheet of the rubber parallel to the floor and use your wrist to generate the topspin. I might film a video tomorrow to help you as I've mastered it :)

my plan was to add the fake disguise of pulling my arm behind the ball by raising my elbow, brushing the back for topspin/Fast ball if i need a change of pace

fast ball is fine but i cant seem to do a slow topspin though

something like the 1st part of this video

Dan

says editing a big TTD Team episode... stay tuned 👀

Dan

Administrator
Aug 2010
Read 72 reviews
Thanks for sharing to us. Video analysis is the perfect tool to help users. I really like your serve the action is very similar to Jun's indeed.

You seem to be rushing the stroke. Focus on the brush of the ball and use of your wrist.

I agree. To improve a serve you need to break it down. Just focus on the initial contact (brush) and how your going to produce the spin. Don't worry about the arm movement and high toss throw up for a bit. Really concentrate on just using your finger and thumb accelerating into the ball.

Werner Schlager has a good demonstration on the ways to disguise the ball on service and make them deceptive. One way I help people making serves deceptive is to always try and keep the same toss and follow through, but just change the contact (float, backspin, topspin, sidespin, etc) :) http://www.tabletennisdaily.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?5135-Werner-Schlager-Demonstrates-Service

Hope this helps buddy :) Perhaps update us with a new video soon :)

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Dan's comment is on the money. How you keep your elbow back is really good. You are getting very nice spin on the ball.

As I see it, the biggest issue is the height at which your racket is contacting the ball. It is too high. It needs to be lower. That is why so many of the serves are so high.

If you follow Dan's advice and add to it that you make the point where you contact the ball a few inches lower, those will be great serves.

My guess is you are trying really hard to get a lot of spin so you are mishitting a lot and if you were playing a match you would not miss as many. Let the serves be relaxed. No rush. And lower.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
Thanks for sharing to us. Video analysis is the perfect tool to help users. I really like your serve the action is very similar to Jun's indeed.

I agree. To improve a serve you need to break it down. Just focus on the initial contact (brush) and how your going to produce the spin. Don't worry about the arm movement and high toss throw up for a bit. Really concentrate on just using your finger and thumb accelerating into the ball.

Werner Schlager has a good demonstration on the ways to disguise the ball on service and make them deceptive. One way I help people making serves deceptive is to always try and keep the same toss and follow through, but just change the contact (float, backspin, topspin, sidespin, etc) :) http://www.tabletennisdaily.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?5135-Werner-Schlager-Demonstrates-Service

Hope this helps buddy :) Perhaps update us with a new video soon :)

that was an awesome video
thats where i got the inspiration for this serve :) hehehe

ok ill concentrate more on the contact and do the disguise later
but im having a hard time to slow down my topspin serves, in a way the same speed as my chop serve in order to disguise it well

i tried a slow contact but it kicks off the first bounce
i was aiming to copy the top spin version of the "Kicker Serve" where the ball rockets off the 2nd bounce

ok ill keep on experimenting :)

This user has no status.
Dan's comment is on the money. How you keep your elbow back is really good. You are getting very nice spin on the ball.

As I see it, the biggest issue is the height at which your racket is contacting the ball. It is too high. It needs to be lower. That is why so many of the serves are so high.

If you follow Dan's advice and add to it that you make the point where you contact the ball a few inches lower, those will be great serves.

My guess is you are trying really hard to get a lot of spin so you are mishitting a lot and if you were playing a match you would not miss as many. Let the serves be relaxed. No rush. And lower.

yeah i notice that i dont bend much, because when i bend idk y but i always turn so slow that when i go out front the ball is already in front of me.

any tips?

thx :)

Dan

Dan

Administrator
Aug 2010
Read 72 reviews
that was an awesome video
thats where i got the inspiration for this serve :) hehehe

ok ill concentrate more on the contact and do the disguise later
but im having a hard time to slow down my topspin serves, in a way the same speed as my chop serve in order to disguise it well

i tried a slow contact but it kicks off the first bounce
i was aiming to copy the top spin version of the "Kicker Serve" where the ball rockets off the 2nd bounce

ok ill keep on experimenting :)

Awesome stuff! It's great to see you working on this. Let me know how it goes perhaps with a new video to this discussion in the future, I think in no time you will crack it. Just keep persisting and working on getting that effective/brush contact :)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2015
You should keep your elbow low. You don't need to bend it. Brush the ball fast and short. Your blade should be in parallel with the table. Use your wrist to create spin, not your arm.