Zhang Jike CONFIRMED and will play singles at Rio Olympics 2016!

says Waldner Masterclass out now! 🏓
Administrator
Oct 2010
After weeks of speculation and various articles surfacing across the web, table tennis fans across the world have been awaiting eagerly on who Team CHINA will select for the singles event at the upcoming Olympic Games in Rio. A popular discussion took place on TTD with many users trying to work out who Liu will pick. Ma Long secured a singles spot with his victory at the Asian Cup. The second singles position has been between Zhang Jike and Xu Xin. Liu Guoliang today announced Zhang Jike will join Ma Long in the singles event and Xu Xin will join the players in the team event.

zhangjikegoingrioolympics2016.jpg

Men

Singles - Ma Long and Zhang Jike
Team - Ma Long, Zhang Jike and Xu Xin

Women

Singles - Li Xiaoxia and Ding Ning
Team - Li Xiaoxia, Ding Ning and Liu Shiwen

Reigning Olympic Champion Zhang Jike will get a chance to defend his title at the Rio Olympics 2016. Do you agree with the selection?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2011
Read 7 reviews
Just posted about it in the other topic..
I didnt know about LGL sayin, just looked up here:
http://ittf.com/ittf_ranking/olympic_singles_ranking/
where you can clearly see ZJK being in the green and FZD and XX NOT .. that means ZJK goes..

What makes me sad is, that world no. 1 in women is not going to play singles.. poor LSW :( :( :(

Administrator
Oct 2010
Zhang Jike will get a chance to defend his title. Relive the moment from London 2012 below by youtuber SpinClips

says Thank you for your all interest. Please email me at...
Oct 2015
The list from china site released a couple of days ago, Zhangjike was placed at the second place followed by Malong, which means he will play the men's singles according to the Chinese system. Xuxin will play the team matches.

2016516171922aaa.jpg

GO Zhangjike!

Last edited:
Reactions: Suga D
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2014
Read 3 reviews
I really liked this choice ... Zhang jike is better than xx in many aspects that liu and other coaches know . I mean they know better than us . Its not just about one or two games , its about the whole career . I wish zjk can defend his title in a time that every one expect malong to win the olympic title . Cause he is capable of doing such a master pieces ...

Reactions: Alborz and dio_hgw
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2016
It's just sad that XX will be 30 at the next olympics and therefore won't probably be able to play them.

This user has no status.
With all due respect I don't think that they "rightfully deserve medals". Nobody rightfully deserves anything unless they actually win it. XX and LSW are great but for some reason they lacked a tiny bit of something to gain their coaches' choice.
Of course there could be more spots for each country, but those are the rules and the concept of the Olympic Games is not only the best players to be there, but also as many countries and peoples as possible to be represented.

Oct 2015
It's just a bad decision by the Olympic committee to only allow 2 to play instead of 3. Xu Xin and Liu Shiwen have to sit out even though they rightfully deserve medals.

They are just trying to stop Chinese table tennis players to win everything.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2014
Read 7 reviews
I understand what you mean, but I think it's unfair that the bronze medal match in 2012 happened between Chuang Chih Yhuan and Dimitrij Ovtcharov while a player of Ma Long's calibre was sitting out. It also cheapens the medal in my point of view. Timo Boll's and Michael Maze's bronze medals at the WTTC are greater achievements than D.O. Bronze medal for precisely this reason.

Of course there should be a limit but the Olympics were fine when 3 players from each country were playing till 2008. Also, no one really cares about what happens before the round of 32 (where pretty much the same players play that we know of). I can't recall a single memorable match from any Olympic games that happened before the round of 32.

It's a good thing that unknown players get a chance but I think it's a bigger tragedy that players who have worked so hard and are so good have to sit out.

This user has no status.
Yes, you are right, for some athletes it's sad and hard, though I always think Olympics as something different, something much more multi-dimensional, than each sport's World Championships. Maybe top-ranked players or top-ranked countries or at least the reigning champions should be awarded with extra places.
But on the other hand, competitive sports are a matter of one spot, one tournament, one point, one millimeter, one millisecond and that is sometimes unfair but is also part of the sports' magic; you have to fight every single moment cause you don't know if you will be given another chance.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
ZJK or XX - prefer XX but ZJK can be. But not picking up women ranked no 1 in the world is outrageous. I understand that Liu is not the best regarding nerves but still she deserves much more then ding ning who had the opportunity last time and failed.

There was an Olympic trial tournament. Kong Linghui was very disappointed with Liu Shiwen's performance against Doi Kem. It's the kind of loss that can have coach's scratching their heads. To compound LSW's issues, LXX won the trial. Had Ding Ning won, LSW would have had a chance, but with LXX winning, that was all she wrote.

The same with XX. Losing to CCY at the trials sealed his fate. Had he reached the final, then he could have had a chance.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2013
Read 3 reviews
There was an Olympic trial tournament. Kong Linghui was very disappointed with Liu Shiwen's performance against Doi Kem. It's the kind of loss that can have coach's scratching their heads. To compound LSW's issues, LXX won the trial. Had Ding Ning won, LSW would have had a chance, but with LXX winning, that was all she wrote.

The same with XX. Losing to CCY at the trials sealed his fate. Had he reached the final, then he could have had a chance.
Considering World Tour Liu Shiwen did not loose a single match this year, while Ding Ning lost to Liu and Li XX. Also Ding Ning lost to Mima Ito at the same tournament. Do Hoi Kem is not ranked that high but she is also very young and improved a lot. Of course it is not my business who Chinese choose to play olympics, but for me it is litte bit unfair.

Reactions: Takkyu_wa_inochi
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
The one thing I would say about the 2 player max from each country for singles: there is only one country that has more than two players who deserve to go to the singles event. It is sad that that is the case. China has 4 that really could be considered. Most other countries have one that should be considered and another 1 or 2 who would fill out their team so they can play the team event. Japan, Korea, and Germany have 2 players that deserve a shot in the singles event. No other country is even 2 deep on their roster. But Japan and Germany don't really have a 3rd player. And Korea has a few older players who don't play as much, but, who, in some ways may be better than the Korean younger generation. In spite of lower world ranking or not even appearing on the World Ranking because of inactivity the older generation Korean players may still have something over the younger generation.

So, unfortunately, allowing China to send 3 would probably mean 3 medals for China and none for any other country. I don't like the way this has been sorted out. And it would be nice if there was more talent outside China in table tennis. But this is the reality of the situation. It is also why China does not send too many of its provincial players to world events. There are really another several players from China who could be in the World's top 10 if they had the exposure in World Tour play.

So, does anyone have any other ideas of how to run the Olympic Singles Event where all the top players who deserve to be there can play, without one country winning all the medals? It is a testament to the level of talent in China that they have 4 guys who really are better than anyone else entering the event. And really probably could have several more. And no other country can actually field more than 2 that have a shot at placing in the top 4!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2013
Read 3 reviews
The one thing I would say about the 2 player max from each country for singles: there is only one country that has more than two players who deserve to go to the singles event. It is sad that that is the case. China has 4 that really could be considered. Most other countries have one that should be considered and another 1 or 2 who would fill out their team so they can play the team event. Japan, Korea, and Germany have 2 players that deserve a shot in the singles event. No other country is even 2 deep on their roster. But Japan and Germany don't really have a 3rd player. And Korea has a few older players who don't play as much, but, who, in some ways may be better than the Korean younger generation. In spite of lower world ranking or not even appearing on the World Ranking because of inactivity the older generation Korean players may still have something over the younger generation.

So, unfortunately, allowing China to send 3 would probably mean 3 medals for China and none for any other country. I don't like the way this has been sorted out. And it would be nice if there was more talent outside China in table tennis. But this is the reality of the situation. It is also why China does not send too many of its provincial players to world events. There are really another several players from China who could be in the World's top 10 if they had the exposure in World Tour play.

So, does anyone have any other ideas of how to run the Olympic Singles Event where all the top players who deserve to be there can play, without one country winning all the medals? It is a testament to the level of talent in China that they have 4 guys who really are better than anyone else entering the event. And really probably could have several more. And no other country can actually field more than 2 that have a shot at placing in the top 4!
This is true. That is why I think world chamionships or grand finals are much more interesting. Anyway I have no other soultion. This system is to help other countries send their players even if they are very poor, but still they can compete and maybe take autograph from Ma Long :)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2016
I understand what you mean, but I think it's unfair that the bronze medal match in 2012 happened between Chuang Chih Yhuan and Dimitrij Ovtcharov while a player of Ma Long's calibre was sitting out. It also cheapens the medal in my point of view. Timo Boll's and Michael Maze's bronze medals at the WTTC are greater achievements than D.O. Bronze medal for precisely this reason.

Of course there should be a limit but the Olympics were fine when 3 players from each country were playing till 2008. Also, no one really cares about what happens before the round of 32 (where pretty much the same players play that we know of). I can't recall a single memorable match from any Olympic games that happened before the round of 32.

It's a good thing that unknown players get a chance but I think it's a bigger tragedy that players who have worked so hard and are so good have to sit out.

amen.

Also from TableTennista, this is not an official announcement yet...

Last edited: