Hello and welcome to episode 9 of the TableTennisDaily podcast, thanks for tuning in. In this episode we are joined alongside Swedish Legend Jorgen Persson! Jorgen Persson won the World Championships in 1991defeating team mate Jan Ove Waldner and has played in every single Olympic event since table tennis was introduced in 1988, an incredible 7 Olympic events.

Persson is known for his unique backhand punch and his success has captured audiences from around the world. Jorgen is an ambassador for table tennis and is the current coach of Dimitrij Ovtcharov.

We go into great detail with Ovtcharov's training methods and Jorgen's experiences into becoming one of the greatest table tennis players of all time. Here’s the podcast.

<iframe style="border: none" src="//html5-player.libsyn.com/embed/episode/id/4174113/height/360/width/640/theme/standard/autoplay/yes/autonext/no/thumbnail/yes/preload/no/no_addthis/no/direction/backward/no-cache/true/" height="360" width="640" scrolling="no" allowfullscreen webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen oallowfullscreen msallowfullscreen></iframe>

Breakdown of the podcast

00.00 Introduction
00.54 Persson talks about his victory at the 2016 ITTF Legends Tour.
01.31 Age and the importance of starting young.
03.13 Playing multiple sports.
04.19 When did Jorgen realise he could become a world class player.
06.00 How Jan Ove Waldner and Jorgen Persson inspired one another.
06.59 Talent vs hard work.
07.50 How much Jorgen and Waldner practiced when he was younger.
08.34 How training methods and styles of play have changed over the years.
11.16 Jorgen talks about winning the World Team Championships in 2000 defeating China.
14.05 Jorgen Persson and Jan Ove waldner talk about their positive rivalry.
15.31 How the Chinese National Team adapt so well to the rule changes.
18.42 What makes good equipment and comparison to China’s equipment.
21.41 Thoughts on plastic ball.
22.50 Jorgen talks about coaching Dimitrij Ovtcharov and what he is working on.
24.27 How hard is it taking on the Chinese such as Ma Long and how can Ovtcharov defeat him.
25.51 Jorgen talks about how his venture with Dimitrij Ovtcharov came about.
27.34 What are you focussing on Dimitrij in the training hall.
29.44 Jorgen’s experience in China and what he learned with types of practice and styles.
31.36 The reason behind less styles in table tennis.
32.52 Jorgen’s prime vs Ma Long and Zhang Jike’s prime.
35.35 What age do players peak at and Ma Long and Fan Zhendong’s current performance.
37.40 TableTennisDaily user Questions.

If you would like to save or listen to the podcast on itunes, search TableTennisDaily in the itunes store. If you are an android user you can download the Stitcher app and search for TableTennisDaily.

What do you think about Jorgen Persson's opinions on the world of table tennis?
Thanks for listening!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
This user has been banned.
Feb 2016
just listened to this.

would have been cool to ask him about his peculiar grip where his index finger looks like he's about to shoot an ak-47 to the whole chinese team.

I tried this grip the other day in my house shooting olympic championship winning loops in the air and I noticed it's pretty good for backhand.
but for forehand it sucks pretty bad.
it's not very stable.
coincidence that persson was always known for his good bh but his fh never really stood out?
in comparison waldner has a weak bh but his fh is more dangerous.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
just listened to this.

would have been cool to ask him about his peculiar grip where his index finger looks like he's about to shoot an ak-47 to the whole chinese team.

I tried this grip the other day in my house shooting olympic championship winning loops in the air and I noticed it's pretty good for backhand.
it's not very stable.
coincidence that persson was always known for his good bh but his fh never really stood out?

I have used the grip for both bh and fh without any major issues. It all depends on what you are used to and what you are trying to do - it is really a very neutral grip.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2014
Read 7 reviews
Persson sounds like a really humble person. Thank you so much for the interview. I wish you guys had more time to ask him about his best performances, tactics and his own development as a player but I realize that the time was limited :D. It was pretty clear though that he didn't want to divulge too much on what he's teaching Ovtcharov :D

Anyway, it's great to hear that he's open for more short interviews for the website.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2016
oh also you didn't talk about equipment I mean what he uses, what he used in the past.... there's so much ground to cover with that. I read in a couple places that he was actually using something on the viscaria line.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2015
Read 4 reviews
oh also you didn't talk about equipment I mean what he uses, what he used in the past.... there's so much ground to cover with that. I read in a couple places that he was actually using something on the viscaria line.

Hi Kukamonga

Sorry we couldn't cover everything but we only have a limited amount of time to talk to each podcast guest. I hope you found the rest of the content interesting. ??

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Fantastic interview. I almost never watch my matches for body language... I probably should. I wish they had asked the question about his grip though - being that low with the index is fairly unique.

I love the sound and rhythm of his speech too - it makes me want to speak Swedish and sound like that.:p

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2015
Read 1 reviews
Incredible interview, as always. You guys are just fantastic. Is there any other "big" sports where folks from an internet forum interview one of the biggest names in the business? That is just unbelievable.

P.S. I don't quite understand why they need faster rackets... Why not just add one more layer of booster? Or their rubbers already contain so much that adding more will make them completely unplayable? :)

says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
He was always my favorite player. Thanks for this!!!

And he seems like a really good person too.

Reactions: Dan and TTFrenzy
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2012
Read 1 reviews
great interview guys keep them coming !!! I laughed when he answered my question because he didnt say much lol

The part when he talked about dima's confidence was amazing I totally feel for him and I thought myself the exact same thing many times because if dima had more confidence and creativity he could be even more threatening than timo boll. After the 40mm ball I dont think we ever saw a european crush a top chinese like zhang jike they way dima did it

First thing you need to do is to believe you can win against ma long. Congrats again for the interview guys :)

Reactions: Suga D and Dan
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2014
Thanks, guys! Very well done!
I know it's a lot of hard work to produce something like this, but you are doing a great job now and its' getting better cast by cast. I feel lucky to be able to listen to them :)

Some really interesting insights from Jörgen Persson. I'd have wished for more indepth answers concerning his coaching role with Dima, but it's understandable that he's tight lipped about it. After all, if I got an answer I'd be happy with, the Chinese would get it as well and that's not quite what Jörgen and Dima are aiming for. Not yet at least! ;)

Thank you :)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2016
Hi Kukamonga

Sorry we couldn't cover everything but we only have a limited amount of time to talk to each podcast guest. I hope you found the rest of the content interesting. ??

of course, I only say the bad things so you can improve, but always think you are doing a good job :)

Reactions: Thomas Jeffcott
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2015
Read 1 reviews
But I have one suggestion: it would be nice to hear a podcast with a female player(s). I think that women's game is hugely underappreciated. I'd suggest Petti Solja: she recently made a huge jump into the elite, it would be interesting to hear on how she manage to do that.

Last edited:

Dan

says editing a big TTD Team episode... stay tuned 👀

Dan

says editing a big TTD Team episode... stay tuned 👀
Administrator
Aug 2010
Read 72 reviews
just listened to this.

it's not very stable.

Hey buddy, yeah we should have mentioned this. I will try to next time. Waldner talks about his backhand and forehand in our podcast with him so keep an eye out for that one. Thanks for listening :)

Persson sounds like a really humble person. Thank you so much for the interview. I wish you guys had more time to ask him about his best performances, tactics and his own development as a player but I realize that the time was limited :D. It was pretty clear though that he didn't want to divulge too much on what he's teaching Ovtcharov :D

Anyway, it's great to hear that he's open for more short interviews for the website.

Haha I agree, he didn't want to give away to much, that part was funny :D I will try set up a part 2 with him in the future and I can ask these questions. I think the small interviews after events would be really cool to!

True we didn't, I will do in the future. Our podcast with Marcos Freitas discusses a lot about equipment set up.

I really enjoyed the bit where Persson said that he and Waldner would find a way to beat the Chinese of today. That really shows the attitude and determination of a champion. After all, he was right in saying that they kept improving their game to keep a good level.

Haha I agree, you can hear his determination and fight in his voice, I love it! I made this for you anchorschmidt :)

jorgenperssonquotepodcast.jpg

Fantastic interview. I almost never watch my matches for body language... I probably should. I wish they had asked the question about his grip though - being that low with the index is fairly unique.

I love the sound and rhythm of his speech too - it makes me want to speak Swedish and sound like that.:p

Haha he sounds so cool right! I will find out about the answer to the grip NextLevel :) Glad you enjoyed the podcast.

Incredible interview, as always. You guys are just fantastic. Is there any other "big" sports where folks from an internet forum interview one of the biggest names in the business? That is just unbelievable.

P.S. I don't quite understand why they need faster rackets... Why not just add one more layer of booster? Or their rubbers already contain so much that adding more will make them completely unplayable? :)

In powerlifting, podcasts are very popular, we are using a lot of their techniques and coming up with our own. Podcasts are becoming very popular in different sports. Yeah I think the problem with adding more layers of booster is that it makes the rubber to soft and then it becomes to difficult to control and use.

great interview guys keep them coming !!! I laughed when he answered my question because he didnt say much lol

The part when he talked about dima's confidence was amazing I totally feel for him and I thought myself the exact same thing many times because if dima had more confidence and creativity he could be even more threatening than timo boll. After the 40mm ball I dont think we ever saw a european crush a top chinese like zhang jike they way dima did it

First thing you need to do is to believe you can win against ma long. Congrats again for the interview guys :)

Thanks TTFrenzy and thanks for your question. I agree some more creative, variation and Dimitrij can do it! It is a real shame he cannot make the World Team Champs, I hope he will be ready for Rio. Thanks for listening :)

Thanks, guys! Very well done!
I know it's a lot of hard work to produce something like this, but you are doing a great job now and its' getting better cast by cast. I feel lucky to be able to listen to them :)

Some really interesting insights from Jörgen Persson. I'd have wished for more indepth answers concerning his coaching role with Dima, but it's understandable that he's tight lipped about it. After all, if I got an answer I'd be happy with, the Chinese would get it as well and that's not quite what Jörgen and Dima are aiming for. Not yet at least! ;)

Thank you :)

Haha very true, thanks for the kind comments. Your questions you submit are absolutely fantastic and really help us in preparation! Thanks again! :)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2015
Read 4 reviews
of course, I only say the bad things so you can improve, but always think you are doing a good job :)

Thats great man glad you think so. And I definitely agree the only way we will get better is with feedback so we really appreciate the suggestions on how we can improve.

Reactions: Suga D