Butterfly Tenergy 05 Hard

This user has no status.
finally, butterfly has released the much discussed tenergy 05 H.
They have published a video just today about the new rubber

in the official Japanese website there are more details, unfortunately (obviously) in Japanese.
https://www.butterfly.co.jp/product/tenergy/05hard/

What are your thoughts?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2013
Read 3 reviews
43 according to the video posted on YouTube by butterfly Thailand

That's right. And BTY rate SpinArt's spring sponge as 48, so it isn't going to be brick-hard. I think it's a good move considering where the game has gone over the last few years, but the price is always going to rub me up the wrong way.

Reactions: Takkyu_wa_inochi
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2013
Read 3 reviews
That is hard if T05 is normally 36. Why is the game moving towards hard rubbers Andy?

I don't think the game is moving towards them as a rule, but IMO the new generation of (male) pro players are very hard hitting, from all distances. I think it's smart for BTY to offer a hard version of T05 as an option, because some players will want that. Not everyone, but some will and they need something on the shelf to offer.

When you see younger players like Moregard using Mantra H and absolutely hammering everything from everywhere, you see the development of a style that rubbers like traditional T05 just can't support efficiently because they just aren't hard enough. These factors are all related in a chaotic kind of way, but the 40+ ball has seen very hard counter-hitting become more common (particularly with the younger players, so wait 3 years and see what the senior game looks like), and I don't think BTY had a top-line commercial rubber hard enough to compete effectively. It wouldn't surprise me if they've been supplying hard variations of T05 to pros for a some time, so this may just be a commercial option to monetize it, and fair enough if so.

I don't think it's rock hard - SpinArt is pretty hard without being extreme, and this will be softer than that.

says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
Jan 2018
I'm still waiting for the tacky rubber Boll talked about testing.

Anyway, we have Butterfly indirectly confirm in the press release that top players play with harder sponge T05 all along.

The backstory of the birth of this rubber is the introduction of plastic balls. The change from celluloid balls to plastic balls has increased the number of players who feel that the rotation has stopped. For that reason, demand for equipment with "higher rotation performance" arises. In the case of top players, it is synonymous with seeking a firmer rubber.

They stress that T05 Hard is for advanced players who have high swing speed to make use of the harder sponge. With the harder sponge, the rubber is harder to wield(control) and heavier in weight as well. Players who find it difficult to handle should opt for T05 or T05 FX that may fit their level and style better, instead.

2jyuLdb.png

RUVbh4x.png

iorjJBy.png

ctR1Lk6.png

Jan 2018
Right, according to the assessment of Butterfly R&D team, as stated in the first footnote.

Jan 2018
Definitely not Shore A. Butterfly use Asker E. ESN likely use Asker C.

Reactions: thomas.pong
says Aging is a killer
I'm still waiting for the tacky rubber Boll talked about testing.

Anyway, we have Butterfly indirectly confirm in the press release that top players play with harder sponge T05 all along.

They stress that T05 Hard is for advanced players who have high swing speed to make use of the harder sponge. With the harder sponge, the rubber is harder to wield(control) and heavier in weight as well. Players who find it difficult to handle should opt for T05 or T05 FX that may fit their level and style better, instead.

Of course that statement guarantees that every T05 user will want this rubber.:cool:

It's like adding 'Pro' to any sporting product

Last edited:
I don’t get how slow loop is easier with a harder rubber...

Harder sponge. What will be the rubber is still a question and how exactly they will interact is a question too.
Xiom hardened their sponges too, but with softer and thinner rubbers and in lot of aspects it works better. I think that the T05 H will be very near to the Omega 7 Asia sponge hardness. For me O5A is the closest in performance to T05 Xiom rubber, now we'll see how close O7A and BTY T05 H would be, if at all.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2017
Read 2 reviews
Yes I get that but with softer sponge it’s easier to do a slow loop because you engage it easier. With a hard sponge you can only use the topsheet for a slow loop.

Reactions: thomas.pong
says Fair Play first
says Fair Play first
Jan 2012
DUST EATER.

Dust-hazard_ml.gif

TACKY RUBBER is some dust eater. Tacky rubbers will turning Antispin Rubber in a dusty court, fairly soon. soon.
I used to keep myself away from those dust-eaters.