Flexible blade hard rubbers, even for looper?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2018
Some ppl recommend hard rubber on flexible blade, even beyond 50°.
I ve played flex blade with hard rubbers and sticked to medium rubbers cause it offers alot of safety. I am exactly average points wise and even much higher level is based on who's doing the mistake more than forcing/doing the point.
Also i have noticed that in general high level amateurs and trainer (2000+) play a lot more softer setups than the high average (1500+) ones.
Tenergy the most popular rubber is kinda between medium and medium-hard and is mostly recommended to advanced players, why intermediate players get recommendation for much harder rubbers ? I kinda don't get it. Please tell me.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2018
Also for me as favorite looper on both sides it's much easier to loop with medium hard rubbers. The harder the rubber the more suitable it is for more hitting style.
In a YVid I saw Chinese rubber must be hit directly/in front to handle the low arc. For me it is hitting technique than looping what I see in this tutorials.

My approach is exactly the opposite - harder rubbers are better for spin generally, and for looping as well.
T05 is a hard rubber, say a bit harder than mid-hard.
Most of the new generation of hard and very hard rubbers are with harder sponge, but with softer top sheet, and that matters.
Anyway - there are more than enough options for evey taste and style.

Reactions: Equaaz
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2018
This is my question.
My taste is looping. I want to be able to attack every ball safely thus get as much active control as possible. I am ready to sacrifice killing shots e.g. if they aren't constant enough.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2018
Yogi u often mention the azaleas. I do play Grubba and do plan to switch on Korbel cause both same? Composition.
Where is else the difference between both?
@topic. Nobody explained to me why hard rubbers are better for looping. In my opinion softer rubber are more consistent because u get mostly the same output as well as the sponge is easier tonl engage. I don't talk about ultra soft but medium soft on bh and medium on fh

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
iamsan said:
In my opinion softer rubber are more consistent because u get mostly the same output as well as the sponge is easier tonl engage. I don't talk about ultra soft but medium soft on bh and medium on fh

It really depends on the player's kind of impact.

For me, I discovered I am a real softie case. My current rubbers of fh FS-X and bh Accuda S3 are real soft, but on the Nexy Batos, they are LOUD with an exclamation point, uber spinny and on top end very fast low dip late.

Each player will need to personally test many types and softness to discover what works for their impact.

Blades are of a similar nature. Some blades are great with a certain rubber in a certain degree of softness, some are not.

This requires a lot of firsthand experience.

What is "wrong" for one player is awesome for another.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
This is my question.
My taste is looping. I want to be able to attack every ball safely thus get as much active control as possible. I am ready to sacrifice killing shots e.g. if they aren't constant enough.
One thing I like to tell adult learners trying to handle an incoming heavy spin medium or fast loop is to LOOSEN the grip (go very loose) and use a compact lower power stroke (think quarter power or so).

This allows the soft grip and short forward swing to absorb the linear energy, kill and overcome the spin, and create a light medium spin of your own.

This isnt a devastating ball, but it lands high percentage and sometimes the shock of player returning their best offensive shot is enough.

Later, when this is a better habit and timing is good, player can go for more.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Reactions: splasher78
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
The other thing is that soft sponge is not the same as soft topsheet and hard sponge is not the same as hard topsheet. T05 has a hard topsheet. That is why it arcs thr ball so much. T80 is softer and T64 is softer still in terms of topsheet.

T05FX has had topsheet with soft sponge. Fastarc G1 and C1 have similar topsheet (hardish) with G1 having a slightly harder sponge than C1 and since softer topsheet means lower weight, that could be what you want. Or harder topsheet means more power. Who really knows.

In the end, just test and be happy. None of these things make you a much better player.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2016
The other thing is that soft sponge is not the same as soft topsheet and hard sponge is not the same as hard topsheet. T05 has a hard topsheet. That is why it arcs thr ball so much. T80 is softer and T64 is softer still in terms of topsheet.

T05FX has had topsheet with soft sponge. Fastarc G1 and C1 have similar topsheet (hardish) with G1 having a slightly harder sponge than C1 and since softer topsheet means lower weight, that could be what you want. Or harder topsheet means more power. Who really knows.

In the end, just test and be happy. None of these things make you a much better player.

This. At the end of the day, use something that in real match gives you confidence of getting your shot in.

Btw NL, how's C1 compared to G1 and have you tried the P1?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
This. At the end of the day, use something that in real match gives you confidence of getting your shot in.

Btw NL, how's C1 compared to G1 and have you tried the P1?

No I haven't tried the P1. C1 is slower, lighter and easier to spin with than G1. Otherwise it is the same topsheet, just a softer sponge.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2016
Table tennis is designed to make you spend as much money as possible in the shortest amount of time ;)

You have to personally test out each rubber combination, and then guess what... you get a new blade! Now you have re-test everything hehehe

Or you can just toss something on the first blade you find and stay with it for 10 years

Reactions: brokenball
Nobody explained to me why hard rubbers are better for looping. In my opinion softer rubber are more consistent because u get mostly the same output as well as the sponge is easier tonl engage. I don't talk about ultra soft but medium soft on bh and medium on fh

It has been discussed many times. Usually I link to this:

https://en.butterflymag.com/2015/06/all-about-tenergy-22/

It explains the fundamentals.
And there is a nice video at the end of the page.

Generally all that is true for all rubbers, but if you try to blindly compare other rubbers to BTY, or different brands, you may fail.
All mentioned characteristics are a matter of the particular rubber structure - pimples geometry, size, density and matrix, top sheet hardness and thickness, sponge hardness and thickness, and on the Ratio between sponge-to-topsheet hardness, and sponge-to-topsheet thickness. Different players with different style and kind of hit, touch and brush may have different feeling at different distance and different strength.
Generally the Fubdamentals Always Work, but one has to compile them in the right way. Then the search will be tighter and not so chaotic.

This user has no status.
I think if we wanna use hard rubbers on flexible blades, like the majority of CNT players, we need to have the skill to do it. You can't play with that equipment like you usually do. Because they have lower trajectory and need you to move your arm more forward(horizontal ) rather than vertical.
But, in the end, if played well, they are massively helpful and pleasant as you can outplay your opponents most of the times.